Standard Competitive Deck - Needs more Power

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I built this deck last night on a budget, It works when I use it online but I feel like it lacks Flexibility and power. Any additions that would keep this deck legal for Standard Tournaments would be nice. Thank you :D Feel free to rip this deck apart, I haven't played in a while and when I did, I wasn't that serious. 

1x Havengul Lich
3x Skaab Ruinator
3x Screeching Skaab
4x Pack Rat
4x Gravecrawler
3x Civilized Scholar /// Homicidal Brute
3x Diregraf Captain
3x Altar's Reap
2x Bone Splinters
2x Murder
2x Forbidden Alchemy
2x Rise from the Grave
2x Staff of Nin
3x Cellar Door
2x Elixir of Immortality
1x Grimoire of the Dead
2x Trading Post

Land
2x Reliquary Tower
4x Drowned Catacomb
7x Swamp
8X Island
I am new to the competative scene, but your deck just does not seem all that fast. It is based arround milling and reviving but I don't really like the speed but the late game will be very powerful.
If there is a way to mill your deck faster you could run with that such as Chronic Flooding your own land, or Curse of the Bloody Tome yourself
but still not that great of an idea

All in all seems like you just have to find a way to stall while you biuld up your graveyard to stomp them

Hey found Secrets of the Dead while brosing enchantments might want that in the deck?

Food for thought-
would it be viable to use the return to ravnica defendenders for massive mana and self mill? By using doorkeeper and axebane gardain you can kill most of your deck throw in a rev card with flashback, get lich and use your large mana ammount to get out whatever you want from your graveyard?
I am new to the competative scene, but your deck just does not seem all that fast. It is based arround milling and reviving but I don't really like the speed but the late game will be very powerful.
If there is a way to mill your deck faster you could run with that such as Chronic Flooding your own land, or Curse of the Bloody Tome yourself
but still not that great of an idea

All in all seems like you just have to find a way to stall while you biuld up your graveyard to stomp them

Hey found Secrets of the Dead while brosing enchantments might want that in the deck?

Food for thought-
would it be viable to use the return to ravnica defendenders for massive mana and self mill? By using doorkeeper and axebane gardain you can kill most of your deck throw in a rev card with flashback, get lich and use your large mana ammount to get out whatever you want from your graveyard?

I didn't want to make the deck a "Mill/revival" deck, the point was expendable creatures and speed. 4th turn 5/6 flyer. If I wanted to mill and revive I'd go big, something like a mind funeral or traumatize with Grimoire of the Dead. This deck is good for casual standard constructed, I win about 8 of 10, it just needs something.... I find I lose to people playing planeswalkers most of the time.. 

I am new to the competative magic so I am not an expert but I am not bad at giving food for thought

Hmm planswalkers can be a problem and it's not worth splashing red for dreadbore

I don't know if Trading Post or Elixir of Immortality suites a fast deck

Do you have the blue card with override that returns all creatures you don't control?

Put in a sidebord desined to kill planswalkers maybe?

if your having problems with planeswalkers the easiest way to pacify them is with pithing needle, its better than simply killing them sometimes because it means they can't resummon them if they find another copy in their deck.