My Standard RDW

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I made a RDW to show our local FNM host that you can make a standard one that wins. So far the only thing it's lost to is a modern vampires and a Naya humans.

x4 Vexing Devil
x4 Guttersnipe

Spells:
x4 Increasing Vengeance
x4 Pillar of Flame
x4 Searing Spear
x4 Geistflame
x4 Faithless Looting
x2 Reforge the Soul
x2 Devil's Play

Enchantments:
x2 Curse of Bloodletting
x4 Curse of the Pierced Heart
x2 Burning Vengeance

Any comments? Or any way to make it faster if any.

I would take out the enchantments. They are too slow for a burn deck.

You could easily pick up Brimstone Volley. The Vexing Devil/Brimstone Volley combo is brutal. You could also include a number of Thunderous Wraths. If you miracle it, it's 5 damage for R; if you don't, no worries, you can always get rid of it with Faithless Looting or Reforge the Soul.

How is Geistflame working out for you? I feel it does too little, but that is pretty much a matter of preference. You could switch it out for Thunderbolt for extra burn or potential removal.

Also, having Mizzium Mortars helping you stay alive can't be bad.
The curses are for those decks that rely on a late game, even if they don't it still adds in good damage. I've lost games to like 2 life before and since I put them in they work a lot better. Geistflame combo'd with burning vengeance and guttersnipe hurts quite a bit, even more if they have a curse of bloodletting on them. I flash it back, they take about 10 damage just from me flashing back something like faithless looting.
This is not RDW this is RDL (aka Burn). You're also missing Thunderbolt.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
I have thunderbolt sideboarded. But, it's not in there for a reason currently.
If you're playing Burn, why would you not want Searing Spears 5 through 8?  All your spells are hitting face so there's no reason it shouldn't be MD.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
Faithless Looting. Look at all the other cards in the deck. I want to be able to pull off faithless looting without a draw back or minimal at best. With this set up I can rotate through the deck rather quick and pull off a lot of combos.
Still not a reason to not be running Thunderbolt.  Burn wants damage for cheap.  It could really careless about digging, becuase it wants to have a high percentage of it's spells be raw damage potential.  Burn right now really has to splash Black for Bump in the Night to be at maximum potential though (and Black also provides Sign in Blood which either can gas you up of be a bad Shock).

Your combo is rather clunky and slow.  Burn does not want to be either of those things.
My Decks
You could also use Underworld Connections for your card draw
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
You could also use Underworld Connections for your card draw

Connections doesn't cut it for card draw.  4 mana and 1 life for that initial card just is too big a hurdel, unless you're playing on a tapped land, but then you're missing out on a card.
My Decks
I have thunderbolt sideboarded. But, it's not in there for a reason currently.

restoration angel?  if you just are filling your board with cards, then you're not building your board correctly.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I have it built around I can discard certain cards then flash it back in combination with guttersnipe and burning vengeance up.
I'd say drop the curse of the pierced heart and adding +2 Burning vengeance with another Devil's Play and Curse of Bloodletting.

I just really don't see the point of the card in this deck. Having the extra 3 enchantments would help cut the odds of trashing them all and devils play is always fun.

Really if your wanting to run a flashback deck with some sweet combos I'd suggest you think about going U/R. Plenty of really nice combos open up that way even though it would no longer be a mono red deck like you where wanting.