Immediate Interrupt on own turn

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rules for immediate actions say you can use them only on opponent's turn. Captain of Fortune U12 Favored Fortune is Immediate Interrupt and it says 'Trigger you or an ally within 5 squares of you makes a damage roll' and allows to reroll damage. But it being immediate interrupt means it can be hardly ever used on yourself. Maybe only when you make opportunity attack?

And if we are at the subject - things like wizards U1 Shield, cannot be used against opportunity attacks, can they?
There are quite a few ways of having off-turn damage rolls. Granted attacks, OAs, powers that have auto-damage, etc., plus your allies have not-on-your-turn damage rolls all the time, so the power is useful regardless.

Not if is your turn. It is possible to provoke OAs not on your turn, in some odd cases.
I think this is also a case of 'specific beats general'. The power allows you or an ally to reroll a damage roll, even on your turn, so that's what you can do.
No, it doesn't.  It allows you to reroll a damage roll as an immediate interrupt.  Nothing about the power provides an exception to the 'can't use immediates on your turn' rule, because it's perfectly usable for your own attacks, even with that rule taken into account.  You just have to make an OA, be granted an attack as a free or opportunity action.

E: it's always possible the writers weren't aware of that rule, though, and that RAI is that this is a free action (because as an immediate, it has a LOT of competition in a Warlord, and is not likely to be used... well, ever).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
E: it's always possible the writers weren't aware of that rule, though, and that RAI is that this is a free action (because as an immediate, it has a LOT of competition in a Warlord, and is not likely to be used... well, ever).

That was my reasoning, but yeah, it doesn't actually say you can use it on your turn. Perhaps "You or an ally ..." is meant to say "An ally ..."? Anyway, I'm wrong. Foot in Mouth 

That was my reasoning, but yeah, it doesn't actually say you can use it on your turn. Perhaps "You or an ally ..." is meant to say "An ally ..."? Anyway, I'm wrong. Foot in Mouth 

Your reasoning would also lead to the claim that you can use Invigorating Stride to move even when you're immobilized, because that's what the power tells you to do, and nothing in the power says it doesn't work when you're immobilized.

However that's not how exception-based design works.  The power has to call out an exception specifically.  This power does not do that.  Such an exception would take the form "you can take this immediate action on your turn" or something similar.

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
There's a high probability that it was a Free Action before the Editors got their hands on it and decided that was too powerful for a PP Utility.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Lol at the idea that that would be too powerful as an anything.  Rerolling damage is rarely worth much.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The conversations I've had with various editors ...

Well, you know my tact and temperment, lets just say I don't get to consult on articles anymore.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.