4e Skype and Roll20 Keep on the Shadowfell (Seeking two players)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

4th Edition

What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Generic D&D Setting. Its loosely based in the Nethir Vale but there will be customization.

How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Currently we have 4 players (A dwaven invoker, a human avenger, a half-elf bard and a revanant human rogue). There are two more slots left and a defender would be preferred but I won't force the issue. If the only defender has a single line backstory while two strikers give me paragraphs, the defender will NOT get in.

What's the gaming medium (forum, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Skype and Roll20. Every Friday starting at 6 pm CST and lasting for roughly 4 hours.

What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

100 gold

Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

All classes from all books are allowed with an exception made for Vampires and Blackguards. If you want either of those classes, you had better make an exceptional backstory (at least several paragraphs) to explain why they aren't evil and actually care about others.

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All PHB races are allowed automatically. All other races will be taken on a case by case. Be aware that monster races will face a good deal of grief from the local populous. Especially kobolds, goblins, bugbears and hobgoblins so these four are the least reccommended.

By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Standard Point Buy (22 Point Buy). If you are unsure how to calculate it this is a good online calculator to help you out. www.asmor.com/scripts/4eAbilityScores/in...

Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Good and netural characters will always take precidence. Evil characters fall under the same umbrella as Vamps and Blackguards. You will have to explain IN DETAIL why this character won't try to knife the goodies in their sleep or when they are alert and I reserve the right to say NO. Disagreements, conflict, head slaps and sparring are perfectly fine, but I don't want the party to kill each other. That's suppose to be my job.

Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multiclass feats and hybrid characters are perfectly fine if you want to experiment.

Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Since the game is in Roll20, rolling shouldn't be a problem. You can roll your own dice.

Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

On character creation, I'm giving everyone the improved Defense feat for free. It does not count against your feat selections. Considering most folks would want it anyway, I'm not going to make you burn a feat spot for it.
Show

Improved Defenses
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Furthermore, Skill backgrounds and Themes are allowed as well SO LONG AS THEY MATCH YOUR CHARACTER'S BACKSTORY. For example, if you choose the merchant skill bonus, your character had better have spent a portion of their life behind a counter dealing with money exchange. It doesn't need to be a perfect fit but I shouldn't have to make Grand Canyon sized logic jumps either. If anyone needs help with choosing them, just pm me on wizards with your sheet or hit me up on skype either before the meeting or during it.

Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

I'll be honest, I love novels. There is no such thing as too much detail. Still, I won't require that you write a book for me. I want to see a good deal of thought put into your character's backstory. Where was your character born (feel free to make your own hometowns if you wish)? What was their early life like? What made them decide to become their class? Were there any memorable moments in their past that shaped who they are today? Try to introduce at least 1 npc ally and enemy for your character. You might see your friend or foe later in the game. You might not see them at all. It just gives me something to play around with. Please end your backstory in the city of Fallcrest (a predominantly human city with a healthy population of halfling and dwarven residents. While few other races live here, its a major trade route so all races pass through on occassion). Also try to link your backstory with one of the two plot hooks below.

Missing Explorer
An explorer named Douven Staul always had an interest in ruins and legends. Three months ago, he had managed to find a map to a dragon's tomb several miles away from the small town of Winterhaven. Eager to see it for himself and perhaps discover a relic or two, he set off on his own. Even with his habit of getting caught up in his work, Douven should have returned by now. Thus, his wife, Aria, has put out a request for someone to travel to Winterhaven and find Douven.

Feel free to define your own relationship with Douven and Aria. You could simply be some random adventurer Aria managed to grab off the street, a friend of either of them, or Douven could have helped you in the past with advice or mentorship for a time. She can offer 250 gold for Douven's return or proof of his demise. Although one of the pcs is on this quest already, I could see her asking more out of concern.

Ominous Signs
The Great Church in Fallcrest originally started out as a temple to Pelor. However, in recent years, shrines to other good and neutral aligned gods have been placed here as well. The building has seen its share of expansion and the major religions have at least one representative there. One priestess of Pelor named Marla Verdout has been studying the history of various demonic presenses and cults to better combat them. Over a year ago, she got wind of a group of suspecious individuals passing through Fallcrest. Between inquiries and studies, she eventually manage to link these people to an obscure death cult. Unfortunately, they had long since left Fallcrest by then and headed west towards Winterhaven. Through divinations, she learned the name of their leader, Kalarel, and has implored her collegues to take this threat seriously. She believes he might try to bolster his ranks in a small village and conduct unholy ceremonies. However, quite a few thought she could be mistaken or that she was on a wild goose chase. Eventually, the clergy agreed to hire adventurers to prove or disprove Marla's warnings.

I think this one is open ended enough. You could just be a hired hand interested in gold, a friend of Marla trying to help, or even someone affected by cultists in the past. Regardless, while the church will pay 250 gold for this service, they want physical proof before any payoff. NOTE: One of the PCs is her childhood friend so if you do know her, say that you met either during her teenage years when she was training at the Grand Temple or sometime later.

Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

It will be a mix of roleplaying and hack & slash with the occassional puzzle thrown in. I also suggest players use their wits when dealing with enemies. You can try to talk to them or just kill them all. Some won't bother to reply anyway while some will. Some have useful information, some don't. Either way, I'll progress the plot depending on the results.

Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

All Wizards Books are available. Dragon Magazine is allowed as well but please referrence the issue if you are going to use something from them. No homebrew material under any circumstance.
Are there still slots available at this point in time or have they been occupied since the posting of this thread?
I'm still open to accepting more players.
I'll play whatever you need if you still have space. Can i contact you on skype?
As mentioned before, our current role count is one controller, one leader and two strikers. While a defender would round out the group, I'm not going to force anyone to choose one. If you have a good concept for another role, go for it. I'm far more interested in hearing a good tale. I'd rather know Harak who spent his teenage years learning swordplay and shield manuevers under the watchful eye of his father rather than Harak the level 1 fighter. Stats are fine but roleplay is better.
I'm still open to accepting more players.

Excellent, may I slide you a Skype message?
I won't be online till later today but I gave you my skype name in a pm for a reason. Smile
Would you be interested in a first time D&D player?
Posting interest, If there is still room I have experience playing D&D 4e and the character I would like to play is a Half-Orc Paladin.
As of right now, I'm officially closing recruitment requests. I'll be sending out PMs to those who have responded. Thank you for your time.