We've got a mage who has an Aversion Staff. It says: "You gain a +2 item bonus to all defenses against attacks from enemies that are subject to effects caused by you."He also uses Shaped Consciousness to have a shard of his consciousness floating aro

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

We've got a mage who has an Aversion Staff. It says: "You gain a +2 item bonus to all defenses against attacks from enemies that are subject to effects caused by you."

He also uses Shaped Consciousness to have a shard of his consciousness floating around. I can't find this ability in the online compendium, so I can't quote the rule for you. The shard has an armor class equal to his own.

My question is, if an enemy attacks his shard while under effect of the Aversion Staff, does the shard get the +2 bonus to AC? Is it considered "not him"?

When you attack a conjuration it counts as if you are attacking the player.  So the defenses of the conjuration are exactly as they would be for the player.  In this case the Aversion Staff's effect would give the player the item bonus and when the conjuration was attacked it would still look at the caster's defenses and not anything else.

Short answer: The conjuration gets the +2 to all defenses. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
"Your fragment can be attacked. If it takes any damage, it disappears. It is immune to your attacks."

Conjuration: "If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses its creator's defenses."

Unlike Summons which says "The summoned creature's defenses equal the summoner's, not including any temporary bonuses or penalties." So conjurations do gain temporary bonuses such as Aversion Staffs.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
The fragment is a conjuration. The conjuration uses its creator's defenses.

The summoned creature of "Summons" does not get temporary bonuses.

Okay, so...

Since Summons specifically states that temporary bonuses do not apply, and Shaped Consciousness does not mention them, we should assume that Shaped Consiousness gets them? This is unsatisfying to me, as an answer. But going back to Matyr's answer...

When you attack a conjuration it counts as if you are attacking the player.

This makes sense. But where does it say that "it counts as" attacking the player, since all I've found simply says that it has the same defenses. Can someone cite a reference?

Thanks!

It isn't an assumption. Shaped Consciousness is a Conjuration, not a Summon. Zathris was highlighting the difference between the two. Conjurations have the users defenses, temporary bonuses/penalties included. Summons don't. Summons can flank. Conjurations can't. Summons are creatures. Conjurations aren't. Etc.

Just go look at the Conjurations rules. They contain everything you need to know to answer this question.
It isn't an assumption. Shaped Consciousness is a Conjuration, not a Summon. Zathris was highlighting the difference between the two. Conjurations have the users defenses, temporary bonuses/penalties included. Summons don't. Summons can flank. Conjurations can't. Summons are creatures. Conjurations aren't. Etc.

Just go look at the Conjurations rules. They contain everything you need to know to answer this question.

Basically that.

I was just trying to rephrase it to explain how I think of it.  Summons use the base, but for conjurations its basically like they are attacking the player at that moment (with all the conditional nonsense applied). 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Thanks for your replies. I apologize if I sounded insulting. When I said the answers were unsatisfying to me, I should have added "because my GM is really picky." I just wanted to be absolutely sure, since the rules you quoted didn't appear to invalidate my GM's reading that the shard would not gain the bonus. But I passed on what you said, and directed him to the Conjuring section.
The question I have is why you found them unsatisfying.  You were given a direct quote:

Conjuration: "If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses its creator's defenses."

And then said it was unsatisfying and "passed on what they said."  But upon being directed to the very same text where the quote came from, you are happy?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
The responses are good enough for me, so I'm hoping he'll accept consensus here as authority. I'm also assuming that he will find the rules he desires in the text as directed. I do not own the book, so I can't verify any of this for myself (several of our players and GM own several rulebooks, but I'm the one who comes here).

I was wrong in my latter comment, though, since Matyr had said "When you attack a conjuration it counts as if you are attacking the player." This is exactly the wording that would satisfy my GM. I was hoping someone would give me a direct quote, so I distracted myself.

Bottom line is I thank the contributors and I passed on the info.
Sign In to post comments