Necromancer build help?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so My friends are bugging me to make a D&D campaign/story, (which is ironic since everytime I try, they distract me from it)
anyways, I'm planning on having them do a simple mission to go stop a necromancer(ordered by a coven of vampires, who have no power against a necromancer since their..dead and all)
And I'm TERRIBLE at making characters with the books so I'm using the Character builder, anyways,

I need help making a level 5 Necromancer Class/build to fight level 1's.  any help? I don't really see how to make one with the tools given, and
You never, EVER use PC rules for NPCs in 4e.  You use the monster creation rules.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
You never, EVER use PC rules for NPCs in 4e.  You use the monster creation rules.

Oh...thanks. I'll go check the adventures  tool than o_o
Also, don't throw a level 5 monster against a level 1 party unless they're highly optimized.  Model him after a solo if you want to make him really tough, but for actual level you probably want to stay in the level 2-3.  Then toss in a couple standards (summoned skeletons or something) to keep things interesting.

Also, the "What's a DM to Do?" forum is probably a better place to ask this. They'd probably toss up a few monsters you can use or modify.
If you are still interested I have an undead monster encounter that my players really enjoyed at low level.  If you don't find something you like let me know and I'll dust off the old encounter and post it up for ya. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
The final encounter:

Intro:
The ground of the crypt was at one point packed earth, however you can see the ground has been recently churned up and bones stick out from the unhallowed earth in awkward angles.  As you enter the room you notice some of the bones begin to twitch as clumps of what you thought were dust and debris start to swirl and glow dimly.  Focusing on a powerful spell the Necromancer you have long sought after is focused intently on creating yet another of the powerful guardians you encounter outside the crypt.

Layout:
The main area of the crypt is fairly large (40ftx40ft).  The center of the room is turned earth, but the edges are still made from the same worked stone as the hallway.  The room used to have three large sarcophagi in the center of it, but all that remains are large pieces of broken stone scattered around the room.  The room itself is dingy and smells of dust and decay.  A small worktable in the far corner is covered in books likely dedicated to the dark arts.

Features of the area:
Unhallowed ground: Standing on the soft earth gives all the undead a +1 to attack rolls if the enemy is also on Unhallowed Ground.  Using a radiant power, or a medium DC religion check as a minor action will "bless" a square of unhallowed ground until the end of the encounter.
Broken Stones: Difficult Terrain.  They are littered in small piles around the edges of the room.
Broken Tomb Guardian: The guardian doesn't  have enough unlife in it to be a real threat yet.  The PCs are preventing the necromancer from making his masterpiece in peace.  The Guardian can however make an attack (+5 vs Ref) against anyone who ends their turn in a square adjacent to him.  His square is considered blocking terrain.

Enemies:
12x Decrepit Skeleton
1x Dayan Vampire Necromancer
2x Griefmote

4 skeletons are spawned at the start of the encounter and 4 skeletons pull themselves out of the ground at random spots in the room at the start of initiative every round past the first.

The Griefmotes will try to use their Chill of the Grave, turn invisible and then retreat to protect Dayan.

Dayan will move up, Necromantic Surge, Action Point and then Word of Beguilement   He is convinced that losing is not a possibility and will not flee unless he is the only creature left alive.  He is still high on the feeling of being made a Vampire and will fight to prove he is immortal, possibly to his doom.

Hope this helps. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I know this wasn't my thread and it was directed at someone else, but I was wondering if I could have your permission to use the full version of that, Matyr? I'm starting up a new campaigna as the dm soon, and need practice, and that seems to fit well within the story I wanted to tell.
I know this wasn't my thread and it was directed at someone else, but I was wondering if I could have your permission to use the full version of that, Matyr? I'm starting up a new campaigna as the dm soon, and need practice, and that seems to fit well within the story I wanted to tell.

You are more than welcome to use it.  If you (or anyone) needs help with encounter design just let me know.  I have quite literally 150 encounters in the campaign binder for the campaign I'm running right now and I don't mind sharing.  Some of my stuff uses very custom monsters / custom rules / custom settings but I can translate most of it into generic stuff for people to use.
Show