I love a swindle: Opponent blunders

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
On a lighter note (opposed to my pet peeves thread) I thought I'd start a thread where we could share our lucksack abilities where an opponent who blatantly should have won a game, messes up and gifts you the victory. One to start off...

Was playing ED vs GP and was losing quite badly. Just couldn't get any traction. I did have Worship out though and was down to my 1 life with a couple of creatures on board, one with Whispersilk Cloak on, and the other with pro-white. The thing is that this guy had both a Falkenrath Noble and Bloodgift Demon on the field. When he took his next turn and targeted himself with the Demon I was like "am I gonna win this game?" Because I realized he didn't understand the MTG rules well enough to know that damaging your opponent and having them lose life aren't the same thing. Worship doesn't protect against the latter. Long story short, I won the game 3 turns later, swinging for lethal, unblockable, when he could have easily either popped one of his own creatures to win with the Noble or targeted me with the Demon to win. 

So......that was fun......

Post some of your opponent fails here... They're too good to keep to yourself. And, who knows, maybe you will help someone's game at the same time...
Was playing against OD. Both my and my opponents life was below 5. He had just top decked Grizlebrand. I had no flying defense all he had to do was swing..... pretty sure you know what he did..... unbelievable.
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
Does this game let you do that? I am fairly sure in real life you are not allowed to pay an amount of life if it is going to result in your life total going below 0.
He'd be super-broken if you could. Imagine paired with a burn deck? You could draw your entire library and kill your opponent at instant speed before the life loss resolved!



You can't respond to paying a cost. You would lose before the ability resolved.
Does this game let you do that? I am fairly sure in real life you are not allowed to pay an amount of life if it is going to result in your life total going below 0.


You definitely can't suicide by Griselbrand either in real Magic or this game


Well, you can, but only if your life total is a multiple of 7. Otherwise yeah, you can't pay life you don't have.

He'd be super-broken if you could. Imagine paired with a burn deck? You could draw your entire library and kill your opponent at instant speed before the life loss resolved!


Not as such, paying life is the cost. You lose the life well before you get the cards (Hell even if you don't ever get the cards).
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
I thought even going to 0 was not allowed. I am sure the rules say you can't pay life as a cost if it will cause you to lose the game.
Even Gatherer says so gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details....









5/1/2012You can't activate Griselbrand's ability if you have 6 or less life.
I thought even going to 0 was not allowed. I am sure the rules say you can't pay life as a cost if it will cause you to lose the game.


Nope, this isn't some baby game like Chess where we need rules to hold our hand and stop us from losing if we're so inclined .

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
RP Jesus, they don't put that rule in to hold or hand, it was in place because a long time ago you would not lose the game for going below 0 life until the end if the turn. So people would use cards like Grislebrand draw their deck, combo off and win in the same turn
it was actually at the end of each phase, and at the beginning and end of combat if memory serves.

Was changed with the 6th edition rules iirc. They also introduced the stack back then.
it was actually at the end of each phase, and at the beginning and end of combat if memory serves.

Was changed with the 6th edition rules iirc. They also introduced the stack back then.



I'm certain that is correct.  It's also around the same time they eliminated mana burn.  Less cause for arguments in tournament play.

Honestly, the changes dumbed the game down a little bit, IMO, but for overall playability they were vast improvements.
Yeah that's the way they are heading with each rules change like the new trigger rules
Man i didnt mean to start a big debate. I'm not sure if there was an underworld dreams in play or not but I am sure he activated Griz's ability with less than 7 life. It was such an epic fail I'll never forget it. He was so giddy to have top decked Griz it was like he couldn't help himself from using his ability. If this is something you shouldn't be able to do or not I have no clue. My knowledge of Magic's rules is limited at best. I can only say for sure that it did happen. I'm curious enough now that i'm gonna try to recreate it, too bad Griz is a 1 of, may take some time.
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
Does this game let you do that? I am fairly sure in real life you are not allowed to pay an amount of life if it is going to result in your life total going below 0.



I have never tried this with Grieselbrand but on the challenge involving Phyrexian mana, I definitely went to zero life paying the Phyrexian mana cost (I didn't know what Phyrexian mana was at the time).
Yeah you can go to exactly 0 but not below according to gatherer
Funny one a couple weeks ago.     Playing 2hg, I have CW, partner has MS.   Opponents have Azorius and SS.    They went first and got turn 2 stalker and we couldn't deal with it, especially with me being mana flooded and my partner being mana screwed.    We countered a couple enchantments on it, dispersed an enchantment or two to buy time but we are slowly dying to the stalker.   He has a couple other creatures too so even twincast on an edict won't save us (not that I had it).   They get some enchantment on it so it is 4/4 or 6/6 or something and swing to put us to 1.   They are at 40 or so life.    All they have to do is pass the turn and they win their next turn unless we got infinite turns going (which we had NONE of the pieces for).    SS drops....abyssal gatekeeper.     Maybe you can see where this is going.     I untap and replicate with kicker the gatekeeper.    My partner burns one of my gatekeepers and I sac another gatekeeper, etc. until Azorius is forced to sac his stalker and we wipe the board.    We then start drawing our good stuff and take over the game and end up winning.     The only way they could have lost that game was by dropping that gatekeeper.  

Yeah you can go to exactly 0 but not below according to gatherer



Just recreated this using the disturbing the nest encounter and way to long stalling until i finally drew Grizlebrand and it did not work. I am at 3 life after activating his ability twice and cannot activate again. Which means either he was just above 7 life and there was an underworld dreams he had forgot about or possibly he was at exactly 7 life and as you say may have killed himself that way. Not sure, but either way the point is he killed himself with grizlebrand instead of just swinging freely for the win. Note to self: unless i can recall all details of an event dont post it
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
Funny one a couple weeks ago.     Playing 2hg, I have CW, partner has MS.   Opponents have Azorius and SS.    They went first and got turn 2 stalker and we couldn't deal with it, especially with me being mana flooded and my partner being mana screwed.    We countered a couple enchantments on it, dispersed an enchantment or two to buy time but we are slowly dying to the stalker.   He has a couple other creatures too so even twincast on an edict won't save us (not that I had it).   They get some enchantment on it so it is 4/4 or 6/6 or something and swing to put us to 1.   They are at 40 or so life.    All they have to do is pass the turn and they win their next turn unless we got infinite turns going (which we had NONE of the pieces for).    SS drops....abyssal gatekeeper.     Maybe you can see where this is going.     I untap and replicate with kicker the gatekeeper.    My partner burns one of my gatekeepers and I sac another gatekeeper, etc. until Azorius is forced to sac his stalker and we wipe the board.    We then start drawing our good stuff and take over the game and end up winning.     The only way they could have lost that game was by dropping that gatekeeper.  




Funny how sometimes its the unnessisary moves and not just the obviously bad ones that end up being HUGE mistakes! A tough lesson for new players, even competent ones to learn is, sometimes the best card to play is none.
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
RP Jesus, they don't put that rule in to hold or hand, it was in place because a long time ago you would not lose the game for going below 0 life until the end if the turn. So people would use cards like Grislebrand draw their deck, combo off and win in the same turn


Indeed, that comment was more of a playful jab at the "You can't move your king into check" rule. That said I started playing shortly after sixth edition (Or sometime thereabouts, my first product was Starter), so that might have been a rule back when tapped blockers didn't deal damage and tapped artifacts were turned off, but it still seems kinda sketchy. I mean, the difference between drawing twenty cards and drawing nineteen cards with Yawgmoth's Bargain seems too negligible to have a rule preventing it, and that would be kind of like having a rule that you can't draw cards if doing so would leave you with 0 cards in your library.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I had another one the other day. Playing BoF against PI (tough matchup). i had him down to 6 but he had the 3/3 hexproof guy out and Blanchwood Armor on aimed at my empty battlefield. He was swinging for lethal on his next turn and there was nothing I could do but hope for a blunder on his part. I had 4 mana open and had Chandra's Outrage and Fireblast in hand. Can you believe he played Rampaging Baloths pre-combat! He could have just swung for the win! Bam! Outrage his Baloths for 2, Fireblast for 4, GG! That was amusing...
Playing SS vs PI and my opponent has Avenger of Zendikar and a pile of tokens, along with Garruk's Companion. I am on 8 life and have Pernicious Deed, a Rancored Mitotic Slime, and Oracle of Mul Daya.

He attacks with everything; I block the Avenger with the Slime, block the Companion with the Oracle, and crack the Deed at x=0 to wipe all the tokens. Then it comes up; Primal Bellow. Quickly I count his forests and see 8, so he can push lethal through the Companion. Except he targets the Avenger to save it so I sack my Slime to Greater Good, draw a Go for the Throat, among other things, and kill his Avenger anyway.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, I should've sacked the Slime anyway to dig for a removal spell as soon as I saw that come up. I would've lost the game, however, because I only sacked it since I was going to lose it anyway.
I had another one the other day. Playing BoF against PI (tough matchup). i had him down to 6 but he had the 3/3 hexproof guy out and Blanchwood Armor on aimed at my empty battlefield. He was swinging for lethal on his next turn and there was nothing I could do but hope for a blunder on his part. I had 4 mana open and had Chandra's Outrage and Fireblast in hand. Can you believe he played Rampaging Baloths pre-combat! He could have just swung for the win! Bam! Outrage his Baloths for 2, Fireblast for 4, GG! That was amusing...


I had one like that in IRL Magic once.

Basically I was playing my damage prevention deck  and my friend was basically at the point that he was probably going to win in like ten turns. But he decided to alpha strike into my Holy Day and I was able to kill him on the backswing. I suppose it wasn't a blunder per se, but it was the day he learned a very valuable lesson about combat tricks :33.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Does this game let you do that? I am fairly sure in real life you are not allowed to pay an amount of life if it is going to result in your life total going below 0.


You definitely can't suicide by Griselbrand either in real Magic or this game - believe me I've tried doing it when facing an inevitable loss a few times! The life is a cost and if you don't have it, you can't activate the ability, exactly the same way you couldn't activate a mana ability if tapped out.


Dafuqucan't

I've accidentally done it to myself before.  Attacked, got blocked, and before damage went through, I popped his ability because he was going to take lethal damage and my hand was empty.  So, yes, DotP will let you commit suicide via Gris

You're a lose cannon.

 

 

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

You CAN suicide by Griselbrand, quite easily. However, it requires you to hit 0 life exactly.

As has been stated several times: you can't pay a cost if you can't pay a cost!

So, if you're @ 7 life, and you activate Grisel for 7, then yes, you payed the cost and you lost the game.

If you're @ 6 life or less, you cannot activate Griselbrand ability. It will not light up. Its like trying to cast anything without having enough mana.

Unless its bugged in some games or on some platforms, I tested it on Steam yesterday, on 13 health. I could activate it once, going to 6 life. And no more.
I had a godawful draw on ancient wilds and it put me in a situation where basically I drew 14 lands and only 5 non lands, I was playing against somebody using celestial light that had a mantra out as well as 2 pridemates and a warden, also he had his loxodon warhammer out. Instead of killing me, he spent about 10 turns in a row just letting his pridemates gather counters while I had nothing on the field except for one fauna shaman and couldn't possible have survived if he attacked at any point (I was at something like 4 life). So eventually I drew my last wood elves after I had around 16 land on the field already and had drawn land for about 10 turns in a row, sacrificed it for an elderscale wurm and eventually won after another 15 minutes.
I'm running OD, villain is running DP. I'm down to 7 cards and hes down to 15 health- I drop Obliterator and pass. He mind controls Obliterator and passes. I draw corrupt and drop massacre wurm. He drops sword of body and mind and equips on Obliterator?... I regain control and smash to the face after Corrupt.
Yeah you can go to exactly 0 but not below according to gatherer



You can go below i am pretty sure.

When you pay life you can't pay more then you have.
But when an effect says you cant lose the game (like Abyssal Persecutor on the other side) people can attack you and make you go below 0.

It's context sensitive.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
I know that, i was referring directly to paying life.
Sign In to post comments