You Make the Card Championships 2012 [Nominations]

133 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to You Make the Card Championships, 2012 edition. Since its incarnation in 2005, Gardevior has kept it running until last year, at which point Mono kept it alive. It is one of the most prestigious and oldest contests in ymtc, and with no signs of life this year, I decided to spark some into it before the year passes by. With my lack of history in this forum, I will do as my predecessor and quote Gardevior's last entry from 2010.

56916508 wrote:
On December 1,  2005, Vammm (not to be confused with zammm) posted a thread in You Make the Card entitled You Make the Card Championship. The premise was simple - people would nominate and vote people into four categories (Most Creative, Best Contest Host, Best Set Designer, and Most Likely to Obtain a Future Position at Wizards R&D) and the winners would design cards to be voted on. Whoever garnered the most votes would be declared champion. In the end, a million people tied for each of the four categories and battled it out for the top spot. Sharing the same amount of votes at the end, zammm and Dream Spinner had a showdown to determine the winner and Dream Spinner, with a join date of 2002, became the first YMtC Champ. People liked the contest so much that Vammm declared it would become a yearly contest, much like YMtC Idol (but about 9 months shorter).

By the time December 2006 rolled around, Vammm had disappeared and it seemed that no one really thought about making a YMtC Champs 2006. A relative newcomer to YMtC named Gardevior jumped over all the older members who were more worthy to host a prestigious contest and decided to just go for it himself. The categories were expanded to seven, adding Best Judge, Contest Player, and Newcomer to the original four. However, this time, the final criteria of the contest came not from the super-inexperienced contest host Gardevior, but from last year's winner, Dream Spinner, setting a precedent for future years. And in the end, Tyranno6, from 2003, emerged triumphant.

During it's lifespan, multiple people have claimed the community title of You Make the Card Championships, now it's your turn.
2005: Dream Spinner
2006: tyranno6
2007: Pegaweb
2008: Riorvard
2009: Detektor
2010: Elevate
2011: Mown

The structure of the contest is simple. There are 7 catergories, which everyone can assign a nomination for, including yourself. After the nominations are over, a voting round follows. It follows the same system, but you may only vote for those who got nominated. The winners of each category is assigned a criteria by the previous year's winner, and the new winner is determined by a vote from the community. The categories follows that of Gardevior's last revision in 2010, which differs from the one Mono used last year.

Most Creative Mind
Innovation in Magic's expansive is a rough task, but a necessary one, if the game is to continue. With a creative mind, you challenge the borders of the game, making magic where there previously was none. You know what the game doesn't do, and you're able to tell the world why it should do it. This category is not necessarily limited to the abilities of a card.
Best Sounding Board
The forum is first and foremost a community where people can interact, and you help make it thrive through the words you write. You offer helpful criticism and a reasonable approach to discussion, and carry a friendly attitude. Be it as a judge or ICD bypasser, your words have impact.
Best Contest Holder
This is just one of many contests that make ymtc the place it is. You foster competition in the environment, and you do it well. Your talent can come in many forms. Maybe you are consistent in your approach, always on time. Or you create intriguing contest designs, that are enjoyable to compete in. Either way, people hold your contests to a high standard.
Best Set Designer
Set design is one of the most daunting tasks of a designer, but also one of the most rewarding. As a set designer, you juggle a lot of aspects not normally taken into traditional card design. You create a cohesive world, a sound environment. The interactions in your set matters, as does rarity. The content you produce no longer exists in a vacuum, and you use that to your strength.
Future R&D Intern
The thought of working on the design team might just be a dream, but the community thinks that you're up for the task. You show a good understanding of the game as a whole, and you are consistent and proficient in card design. Having you on the team is always something to be pleased about.
Best Newcomer
With extensive experience in card design, those who venture into our forum for the first time might not meet your expectations. However, everyone has a starting point, and you have shown great potential and growth. This might be your first sight of this contest, but you have what it takes to upset the veterans.
Invitational
This category is the wildcard. There might be someone you can't fit into a category, but he's still a great person, and you value his presence. If there's someone you think should be able to compete this year, but you can't see where to put him, this is the spot.

May the best designer and join date win.
Round ends 23.12.12. I don't understand timezones.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Because really, this thing needs to happen.
raz, if you had stuff written and planned and stuff, go ahead, but otherwise, it's here now.

Most Creative Mind
Best Sounding Board: Fallingman
Best Contest Holder: razorborne
Best Set Designer: Fallingman
Future R&D Intern
Best Newcomer: cats_and_me
Invitational: CKY

Going to bed, eventual questions, complaints and praises will be taken tomorrow.

Yxoque wrote:

We can nominate one person per category, correct? And the same person more than once correct?

Most Creative Mind == Mown
Best Sounding Board == cats_and_me
Best Contest Holder == Detektazoline
Best Set Designer == magicpablo666
Future R&D Intern == CKY
Best Newcomer == magicpablo666
Invitational == ChaosLight
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Am I allowed to nominate myself for everything.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
How new must one be to qualify for Best New Comer?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I'll break the ice.

EDIT: Changing my votes because it's true that nominating same person for different categories isn't all that great. More people means more fun, and I'm all about fun.
[spoiler my votes]

Most Creative Mind   == FirstTurnKill
Best Sounding Board == theatog
Best Contest Holder == Rush_Clasic
Best Set Designer == CKY
Future R&D Intern == silasw
Invitational == theScion (for best rainbow face)

[/spoiler]
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Eventually all the good designers will have won and I will be the last one left.
I don't know any newcomers.
My archnemesis! Of course!
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

Because really, this thing needs to happen.
raz, if you had stuff written and planned and stuff, go ahead, but otherwise, it's here now.

nah, you go ahead.

Most Creative Mind: Turnip
Best Sounding Board: Rush
Best Contest Holder: honestly not much going on here, hopefully I get a nomination but it's lame to nominate yourself so I'll call this one Kavu for Sparkwar.
Best Set Designer: can we rename this the Fallingman Trophy?
Future R&D Intern: I don't know beyond Mown, who already won. maybe Libe? Imma say Libe
Best Newcomer: razorborne
Invitational: Zammm

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

set designer: theScion
R&D: CKY
newcomer: magicpablo666 
Most of my thoughts are going to be based on the very beginning of this year and the very end, as I was out for several months in between; since I don't remember much of the former, it's really going to be slanted towards the latter.  Also, I don't plan on nominating anyone for multiple categories.

Most Creative Mind == 3-7-15-1-292
Best Sounding Board == cats_and_me
Best Contest Holder == Koridian
Best Set Designer == CKY
Future R&D Intern == Glasir
Invitational == ConfusedAsUsual

I think that's about right for me.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I want to at least play this year so I'll be a jerk and do this:

Most Creative Mind -  Dr_Light
Best Sounding Board - GM_Champion
Best Contest Holder - ChaosLight
Best Set Designer - ChaosLight
Future R&D Intern - CKY
Best Newcomer - Light_Purple_Shrimp
Invitational - rainbowcrow

I regret nothing

I was totally planning on doing something with this week maybe possibly.  I also have no idea who to nominate, but on the subject of best contest holder, I would like to point out that I've been hosting the same contest for three years straight.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Ha ha. I guess posting in the thread really pays off!

Most Creative Mind - this one is tough. Tempted by the likes of Imi, Mown, and CKY. But honestly theScion always seems to have an interesting outlook on every aspect of a card's design.
Best Sounding Board - Cats_and_me although I also enjoy reading Keeper's comments. Cam certainly wins by sheer volume.
Best Contest Holder - Razorborne I guess.
Best Set Designer - Honourable mention to Riorvard, but vote goes CKY
Future R&D Intern - I dunno. Glasir, why not?
Best Newcomer - Edit: Well, if it is 2012 join date, then Fenix..
Invitational - I dunno yet. I can't pick one. I love you all? Edit: I'm tempted by Altimis: Best Archnemesis and Glasir: Best Running Mate. I think I'll pick Altimis, because a) I already voted for Glasir, and b) He voted for me?..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I wasn't around for the whole year, but I'll nominate someone and edit my post every once in a while..

Most Creative Mind - Mown
Best Sounding Board - FirstTurnKill
Best Contest Holder - razorborne
Best Set Designer - Fallingman
Future R&D Intern - chinkeeyong
Best Newcomer - magicpablo666
Invitational - ConfusedAsUsual
Nominations need a little bit more BelangiaJo.

/kthanxbai
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Oh, that "newcomer" category is pretty difficult, what are my options anyway?
Newcomer means join date of jan 2012 or later, right?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Oh, that "newcomer" category is pretty difficult, what are my options anyway?

nominate razorborne

it's the right thing to do

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Most Creative Mind - magicpablo666 
Best Sounding Board - Rush_Clasic
Best Contest Holder - Sebanovich (TPmanW if inactive members cant be chosen)
Best Set Designer - Riorvard
Future R&D Intern - silasw
Best Newcomer - vlord
Invitational - Mown/Imidazoline

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Most Creative Mind - ??? 
Best Sounding Board - ???
Best Contest Holder -???
Best Set Designer - ???
Future R&D Intern - ???
Best Newcomer - Light_Purple_Shrimp
Invitational - ???
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Most Creative - theScion
Sounding Board - altimis
Contest Holder - SilentTwin
Set Designer - Riovard
Future R&D - CKY
Newcomer - magicpablo666
Invitational - ChaosLight

Newcomer is, for the most part, those who haven't seen this contest. I'm not terribly strict, if they joined a month before last one, they probably count for what I care.

No, you're not a newcomer.

Yxoque wrote:

Honestly, I expected the contestants to be the same never-changing collection of most popular people in this forum that are also the contestants in each other super-contest, so it's a nice thing that we also nominate a "newcomer" and I'm surprised that I might be able to beat Rush_Clasic in the second category..
I'm just going to ignore the categories and nominate CKY.  (S?)he did a great job on Solphos, which the limited forum even drafted.  It was an awesome set.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

No, you're not a newcomer.

I ought to be, given the sheer number of times I've come and gone.

On a more serious note, since I barely know anyone here, I'll just stick around for the voting when the cards are done, and leave the nominating to the regulars.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
Contest Holder - SilentTwin 

Thanks DaytimeLantern, but I *really* do not deserve it. I've been way too erratic earlier, and until I can sort of prove (to my self at least) that I'll keep doing the Hunts, I won't see myself as any kind of contender.

But your support makes me want to stay, that's for sure.

Most Creative MindDreamSpinner (ever since our little Vixali-experiment (remember that DS?) (and before), she just regularly blows my mind in the flavor creation category)

Best Sounding BoardFallingman (as the ubiquitous Voice of Reason where others give up (you all know what I mean), I salute, applaud and respect this complete stranger in all kinds of ways)

Best Contest Holder - ParadOxymoron (for coming up with the Creature Type Game.. :P)

Best Set DesignerRiorvard (tied with Fallingman, of course - I'm utterly amazed at how many *different* sets Rio can churn about, without ANY of them feeling contrived or halfhearted. Damn man, don't ever stop.)

Future R&D InternKoridian (since my return, I've seen some cool things by him. And I want to see more.)

Best Newcomer - FirstTurnKill (since I've been gone for so long, I'm gonna nominate whoever I damn well please here, and FTK seems like a good fit (even if he's an 11''er); tight, interesting designs - what's not to like?)

Invitational - Chintastica (because, when I came back, I forced Chin to do the same thing - he had a Hunt to lead. )

ceci n'est pas une signature.

I'm considering shorting this down to Friday, just because we're behind schedule. There seems to be a decent number of votes as it is, so I think it should do fine.

Not that I expect it to finish before the year is over, but I'd rather not lose momentum.

Yxoque wrote:

I regret not finishing any of my literally 20 sets.
Most Creative Mind - Cats_and_me
Best Sounding Board - Razorborne
Best Contest Holder - Mono789
Best Set Designer - CKY
Future R&D Intern - Rush_Classic
Best Newcomer - Magicpablo
Invitational - FirstTurnKill

Hmm, too many choices actually. 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.

Best Newcomer: cats_and_me

Thank you for your vote, but..

Anurid Slateback -
Creature - Frog Beast
Creatures blocking or blocked by Anurid Slateback get -3/-0.
Whenever Anurid Slateback is dealt combat damage, destroy it.
Covered with shell-like plates, they're surprisingly vulnerable to anything that can pierce through them.
3/4

Blocking sometimes feels a little strange: Can you explain how two Patrol Hounds can bring down a behemoth? Here's one possible solution and a different take on having four toughness..

I'd like to win most creative mind rather than "person that posts in every thread for some reason", but it's basically impossible because it's the category where you could nominate almost everyone..
How actively did you post in that period?
I consider you a newcomer.

Unless you posted in those game threads, I never bother reading those.

Yxoque wrote:

Best Sounding Board: Fallingman. If kevin had improved in any way or any degree, it's becoz' of this guy. Did I sound offensive? Didn't mean to.

Best Contest Holder: razorborne. he seems to be really wanting this.

Best Newcomer - pablo. There! don't say i don't like you anymore. and please promise me you don't use wet anymore : P

set designer - scion. It's really more of the way how he's revealing his set like a finalized product than YMTC project. I have to say those you-know-which amazing sets are not any less amazing than scion's. 

Invitational - Me. Is it sad that every year i want to be in this and i never get anywhere close : P 

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
That was only for maybe 2-3 months, then I returned to this forum three years later! I can't win that category anyway, because people interpret "newcomer" surprisingly differently and magicpablo666 is the only "newcomer" where it's obvious that he's one..
It's so funny because it's the other way around, for everyone.

The only reason you're all improving is because I'm mentoring you through my design notes and highlights.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

by no means i'm referring to your designs but rather in terms of your capability of forum-interaction with other people as a sane, normal online entity.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Ignore him.

Yxoque wrote:

I feel so unloved.

Invitational: Ephemeron.
You're pretty good at many things, but it's much better for this contest when you're perfect at one thing and completely suck at everything else!
Most Creative Mind: Dilleux_Lepaire
Best Sounding Board: KeeperofManyNames "Venser is a useless plot device. And so on."
Best Contest Holder: FirstTurnKill
Best Set Designer: FirstTurnKill
Future R&D Intern: Koridian
Best Newcomer: I know NO Newcomers At ALL...."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Invitational: razorborne
Winning games/contests http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter
Most Creative Mind - Fenix.
Best Sounding Board - Jessica_Morgan
Best Contest Holder - Koridian
Best Set Designer - FirstTurnKill
Future R&D Intern - theatog
Best Newcomer - I'm a newcomer!  But I can't vote for me.
Invitational - I've got nothing.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Sign In to post comments