Need help - Green/White Selesnya Populate Deck (on a budget)

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, forum people. Been awhile since I was on here. Still, here I am.

So here's my situation. I fell out of magic when Return to Ravnica came out. I didn't feel like keeping a deck up to date with the set, at least, not until Simic came out, since Simic is mah joint yo!

Anyways, yeah, screw that noise! So I looked over the new set for possible deck ideas (building from scratch-ish), and wanted to mess with the populate concept. I feel like it has a lot of potential if played right. But the thing is, I'm also on a budget. I have enough cash to get most of what I need, but I'm not going to be spending 10+$ on 4 cards. I already have a couple of backbone cards, and I can only thank god the duel lands in RtR are common, but I thought I'd throw it out there nonetheless. 

So, this is my first-ish draft of this deck. It does NOT have an extra deck yet, although I'll add one as time goes on. So!

Lands:
x11 Forest
x8 Plains
x1 Sunpetal Grove (Only 1. These bastards are expensive.)
x2 Selesnya Guildgate
x2 Grove of the Guardian
(I'm not including Temple Garden. It's expensive. Won't be getting any more sunpetals either, unless I trade for them.)

24 Lands 

Creatures:

x4 Arbor Elf
x3 Centaur's Herald
x4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
x2 Wayfaring Temple

13 Creatures

Instants and Sorceries:

x3 Call of the Conclave
x3 Selesnya Charm
x3 Druid's Deliverance
x3 Rootborn Defenses
x3 Midnight Haunting

15 Instants/Sorceries

Enchantments and Planeswalkers:

x2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
x4 Growing Ranks
x2 Parallel Lives

8 Other

Total Cards: 60

It ain't perfect. I'm not the best at deck building, and frankly, I'm not sure how a lot of these cards would work together. Furthermore, it's hard for me to tell if my ratio of populate:initial token gen is correct. Plus, money keeps getting in the way (I'm already sitting at 30 dollars just to pay for the missing components here). So yeah. Go easy on me, lol.
not bad I think, looks good for a budget deck... MINE....community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...  is certainly NOT a budget deck, I've just made a bunchof really good trades. I started about where youdid, but that Birds of Paradise isn't standard.
unless I'm much mistaken, Birds are reprinted... wait, wut? They didn't reprint birds OR elves? Wow. That's... genuinely surprising. Thanks for pointing that out. That is actually quite irritating. Still, glad I didn't spend money on them.

What would you suggest as an alternative? 
Arbor Elf, Avacyn's Pilgrim are the only legit mana dorks in standard.
Deathrite Shaman as well, but only in certain decks. You definitely want the Arbor Elves if you are looking for more dorks. 

I don't know what your logic is but Sunpetal Grove is great in any amount in a deck that can use it. CIP untapped dual lands are almost always preferable to basics or CIP tapped lands like Selesnya Guildgate.

I would remove the Selesnya Guildgate or swap them with Evolving Wilds. A deck like yours doesn't really want CIP tapped lands as you always want to play something on turn 1, 2 and 3. 

Having more green sources than white sources is what this deck needs--your first-turn plays always need green mana. +2 Forest, -2Plains is somewhere to start. 26 lands is a lot for an aggressive deck like this even with the two Grove of the Guardians. I think it is safe to cut 1-2 lands (starting with the guildgates) and keep the Groves.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Yep, Arbor Elves insteap of BOP, and I'd fill your empty two spots (after you cutlands) with the Vitu Ghazi guildmage, she's cheap, and a good token pumper.
I'm not sure what the logic behind having evolving wilds instead of the guildgate is. When you crack the wilds, you still end up with a tapped land. Please explain this. Until then, I cut the guildgates down to two, at least. Also did some addition and subtraction to forests and plains.

I like the guildmage, but  like in the last version of ravnica, the actives on the mages are so dang expensive that there's way better alternatives. I've added 2 O-rings in the meantime, but that's not going to be perminent, probably.
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage  The first one is stupid, the second it sweet. 4 mana for a centaur is a bit pricy... YES....BUt..... Youdon't need to waste your hand.  She's worth it.
also.. can I get your thoughts on mine?  http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29539207/the_thundering_herd:_help_and_thoughts?msg=The%20post%20has%20been%20deleted.&post_num=1
lol, dude, I know what the guildmage is. I also know that Growing Ranks does the same thing, every turn, for the same price, once. Really, aside from the fact that the card itself only costs 2 mana, there are very few redeeming qualities. 

I don't even feel comfortable editing my own deck. I don't think I should try doing yours XD
lol, dude, I know what the guildmage is. I also know that Growing Ranks does the same thing, every turn, for the same price, once. Really, aside from the fact that the card itself only costs 2 mana, there are very few redeeming qualities. 

I don't even feel comfortable editing my own deck. I don't think I should try doing yours XD

This  is true, very true., but so long as youkeep aminimum of 3 mana untapped for either of teh damage prevention instants, the same onesi use, you'll be fine in the mid to late game. I never said that the guild mage was a good early game card, she isn't, she just isn't.   That siad, if youwin in the short game, then good for you, really. and yeah, growing ranksis a good card but itonlymakes one each per turn.i'vebeen insituations where i've made 4 centaurs off the guildmade.  Besides....throw in the guild mage, and with one or two of your parallel live on teh board, thats ok count it up... a minimum of two centaur tokens or 8/8 elementals at the start, follow it up with 2or 3 activations form the guild mage x2 because of the parallel....and holy hell.

Evolving Wilds may put the land into play tapped, but there are two benefits to this.

Firstly, it removes an additional card from the deck - this thins your draws, so you don't have to suffer picking up a land later on when you really needed a Selesnya Charm etc.

It also means you can use Arbor Elf to untap the Forest you bring into play, achieving the above, without loss of tempo. 

I'd definately suggest Rancor over Growing Ranks. I am finding it horrifyingly good enchanting Wayfaring Temple. Get 4, they're 20p tops, and really swing the game for the discerning Conclave dweller.

DCI Judge Level 1

Sign In to post comments