Each Color at its Best

55 posts / 0 new
Last post

It's been a while since we had a good old discussion about the colors and what they stand (or don't stand) for. I've always enjoyed these types of discussion, despite them sometimes getting heated, so here's my attempt to start discussion:

I've been wondering how each color would be at its best. I know this is a bit of a double question, since it can be interpreted to mean how each color sees itself at its best, but also about how you, personally, see a color at its best. I think both answers would be interesting to see.

I'll start: 

White
White at its best, for me, means a strong, inclusive community, where suffering is prevented wherever possible. People are strongly encouraged to use their talents for the betterment of the whole. All people are equal and relatively free.

White itself, would probably see things more strictly. They'd envision a strong hierarchy and more strict rules, and it might want to go above "encouraging".

Blue
The way I see Blue at its best is gathering knowledge, not just for the sake of knowledge, but also for the benefit of everyone and for perfecting society.

Blue would probably see improving lives as just a side-benefit, irrelevant to the greater goal of knowing (and being able to control) everything. Blue would see itself at its best when it's advancing to some kind of singularity: rapidly becoming increasingly better/smarter.

Black

Black at its best, in my opinion, is ambitious, but without actively hurting others. They would want to be the best they can be, through far-reaching means, but never putting too much strains on others or on society. 

Black would probably think I'm a sissy for caring so much about other people.

Red

I see Red, when it's being the best it can be, as in tune with its emotions, understanding them and being guided by them, without being completely governed by them. 

Red might be more impulsive, letting itself be controlled by emotion more.

Green

To me, Green is the hardest color to say something about. I think I see it as trying to maintain a stable and sustainable ecosystem. Not merely maintaining the status-quo, but also letting new things blossom.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I think one of Black's defining characteristics is selfishness, but as you say, there is no reason selfishness needs to be served at the exclusion of others. Capitalism is, in many ways, built on the concept of positive selfishness, and I think part of the reason capitalist societies are struggling in some parts of the world right now is because of an over-application of traditional White-mana practices.

So for me, at its "best," Black is (mostly) pure capitalism, where everyone wants what is best for themselves, but are mindful of society as a whole, because keeping the society/economy strong will help the individual in the long run, as well. Black, to the extreme, may focus on instant gratification, but Black "at its best" is willing to settle for slightly less now (not a lot less, they're still looking out for themselves) if it will keep society strong, thereby allowing themselves to reap the rewards for longer.

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

I would add that black enjoys competition.
Not just bringing out the best in itself but in others as well.
How else are you supposed to assert your obvious superiority if the people you're competing against never had a chance.

Green has the capacity for becoming more than itself.
Green is the best color when it comes to color fixing and I feel like its desire for oneness with nature allows it to appreciate the other colors world views more readily than other colors.
White accepts other world views for the sake of peace and order, green accepts them because they work.

I think the best example I can think of is a Buddha, someone who has achieved oneness with   EVERYTHING.        

White accepts other world views for the sake of peace and order, green accepts them because they work.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with the statement, but I do like styling Green to be a pragmatic color.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Someone once posited that stands more for self-awareness than selfishness per se. is, after all, the colour of moral relativism.

Good , I guess, could manifest as people disgusted by moral hypocrisy.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)

I was about to call you out on this, but then I remembered this is about colors at their 'best', and I have to concede the point.

Black's mix of pride and competitiveness, I imagine, would manifest in a 'look at what I did all by myself' sort of attitude. A want to play fair (and win fair), something it would share with certain segments of green.

I was about to call you out on this, but then I remembered this is about colors at their 'best', and I have to concede the point.

Black's mix of pride and competitiveness, I imagine, would manifest in a 'look at what I did all by myself' sort of attitude. A want to play fair (and win fair), something it would share with certain segments of green.

I agree from a personal point of view, but would Black see itself as the best it could be in that way? Wouldn't Black think it could do better by not playing fair?

Depends. Maybe it just doesn't consider itself worthy if it cannot do it "for realz".

But then again, pragmatism is a major feature of .
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I'd say the best in the druidic side of green is a calm understanding of a proper order of things and simply being content to be a part of the world instead of striving to be it's master. (Hint: Not Christianity-derived Western consumerist insanity. Google around a bit with the word "permaculture", and you see some of the best Vedalken Heretic/Lorescale Coatl-esque real world blue-green thinking there is.)
Trying to help "I'm original" people build better decks is self-sabotage: Good advice will inevitably be ignored because someone did it before. The gist of Magic is going to MWS/MTGO, playing Island, Ponder and watching the opponent ragequit.
I tend to feel that these conversations get really abstract and vague simply because of the bredth of what colors cover and represent and do. So, since my thing is Art, here's each of the colors artistically at their best:

Green is Intuition, it's being able to view a work and comprehend it intuitively as part of a system. It's feeling your way through a painting and putting the right color in the right spot instintually. Good Taste comes from green, as does the ability to find your niche in the art world. Think of art as environmental ecosystem and you see where green excels.

White is Conscience and Order, it's looking at a work and saying "What does this tell me? Do I like its message?" White as its best strives to be a communicator of both sublime beauty and sublime truth, pairing a lofty ideal with highly refined aesthetics. Think of art as a temple and you see where white excels.

Blue is Technical Mastery, it's looking at an idea and saying "What process do I use to arrive at the set of results I seek? How do I effectively convey information, or alternately, what aspect of style or technique is as-of-yet unexplored?" Intellectual experimentation comes from blue, but so does the kind of meticulous refinement that new ideas require. Think of art as a scientific theory and you see where blue excels.

Black is Will and Courage, the will that laughs at compromise. It's painting a portrait of Lenin on the wall of the Rockefeller Center and telling Rockefeller to stuff it when he objects. Black at its best says to hell with the consequences, I demand that the world bend to my own genius. Think of art as a plan for world domination and you see where black excels.

Red is Empathy and the Emotional Experience, its the art of forcing a response from the audience. Red asks "Where does the heart of this piece lie?" and centers the narrative around that core. As Black eschews compromise, Red eschews dilution of an emotional truth. Think of art as a passionate kiss and you see where black excels.

Interestingly, you can see the conflicts each of the colors has from this. White bends the message to a broader concern, while Black's vision is uncompromising. Black forces the world to make space for it, while Green thrives in a space unfilled. Green creates art instinctually, while Blue must dissect the mechanisms and see how art works. Blue pushes experimentation and intellectualism, while Red emphasizes the stories and symbols that are universal and have stood the test of time (you can't find a much more fundamental, profound symbol than that of fire, after all). Red views its subjects through a lens of empathy and individual emotion, while White sees them as sociological symbols representing larger systems of meaning.

But, I think you can also see how the enemy colors would balance each other out in very dynamic and powerful ways.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Green is Intuition, it's being able to view a work and comprehend it intuitively as part of a system. It's feeling your way through a painting and putting the right color in the right spot instintually. Good Taste comes from green, as does the ability to find your niche in the art world. Think of art as environmental ecosystem and you see where green excels.

is also often the spiritual motivation. It's similar but very inherently distinct from 's passion and 's honouring of ideals.
For me, at its best is a community where everyone is working together for the good of the whole. Each person is cared for and there is plenty to provide for everyone. There would still have to be some order or hierarchy to make sure it doesn't all fall to pieces, but it doesn't become oppressive.

For , I see something like The Library from Doctor Who: A massive location containing all of the information in the universe that is available to anyone to use. Having all that information is well and good, but not putting it to use would be a waste.

would create a competitive environment that would drive innovation, and those who succeed are rewarded. People would still probably get hurt (they are just another means to an end, after all), but I don't think the first result of being in someone's way would be death. Maybe you're just swindled out of a couple of grand.

would be very passionate and creative. It would be a place where you can do and create whatever you want and whenever you want. There would also be a strong relationship between most everyone, which would prevent someone from wrecking the entire place because they damn well felt like it.

...man, I don't know. I don't have a very good grasp of where green stands without automatically screaming "Nature!" I guess it would have a "live and let live" attitude that wouldn't force change on people, instead allowing change to arise organically?
Show
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks Gamma_Mage for the awesome banner! IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/5b6c77c9b167a1916a659c5ddb3cf613.jpg?v=90000)
People would still probably get hurt (they are just another means to an end, after all), but I don't think the first result of being in someone's way would be death. Maybe you're just swindled out of a couple of grand.

And loosing doesn't necessarily have to be catastrophic, just at a lower position in the job.
You know, it's interesting that the most competitive and cutthroat color also is the color most able to cheat death. It's almost as though an ideal black culture would give itself a way out--after all, what does deadly failure really mean when you can restore yourself to life once more?

Of course, black doesn't have access to perfect resurrection in Magic but I think we could see mastery over death as the ability to stay its grim hand. Black at its best might look a lot like Phyrexia, except that consciousnesses are never snuffed out and failed organisms simply must strive harder to be the best they can be.

So maybe black at its best is the Olympics--strife and rivalry and vying for dominance in an environment where whole lives probably aren't going to be destroyed? 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Colors at their best:

WHITE: Truth, justice, and peace.  Everyone gets a fair shake.  Communism, as commuinism works on paper.  In the six-factor view of Eudaimonia, White represents Positive Relations with Others

BLUE: Pursuit of pure knowledge.  Logic dominant over emotion, creating a structure ruled by reason above all else.  In the six-factor view of Eudaimonia, Blue would come closest to reaching the "Purpose in life" factor, as reason provides the best attempt at Teleology.

BLACK: Glorification of the self.  At its best, Black is tne enlightened self-interest, and the support of individuality that keeps it from being overwhelmed by communal desire.  In the six-factor view of Eudaimonia, Black provides Personal Growth.

RED: Freedom.  Red, at its best, enables self-determination and the exercize of free will.  As such, when one examines Eudaimonia (in the six-factor view of the concept), Red would represent the concept of Autonomy

GREEN: Harmony, or perhaps enlightenment.  We see a lot of this side of green in Planar Chaos (which messed up the mechanical color pie while retaining color philosophy).  Green, at its best, is the pure "Rousseau was right, people are basically good" state of nature.  In Eudaimoia, green would represent Self-Acceptance, which is being at peace with yourself despite what flaws you might have.

(For those of you who are wondering "Eudaimonia" is the concept of a complete psychological well-being: the state of highest ingernal good.  Philosophers debated what a Eudaimonic state would be since ancient greece, where as modern psychologists tend to take a view with six factors, the five I listed for the colors, and "Environmental Mastery", which is having control over one's surroundings and thus a factor of sapient endeavor more than individual color philosophy.  One might gather from this analysis that all five colors would ve required for an ideal existence.  Yes, even maligned black)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

WHITE: Control things
BLACK: Dominate things
GREEN: Appreciate things
BLUE: Know things
RED: BURN THINGS!!!!!

Okay, just kidding...

Red also likes to smash things...

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

You know, it's interesting that the most competitive and cutthroat color also is the color most able to cheat death. It's almost as though an ideal black culture would give itself a way out--after all, what does deadly failure really mean when you can restore yourself to life once more?

I should point out that green's fairly competitive too. (Survival of the Fittest is a green card, after all.) Green just balances it with cooperation. Of course, green is also able to cheat death. After green is white, which is the least competitive of colors.

Of course, black doesn't have access to perfect resurrection in Magic but I think we could see mastery over death as the ability to stay its grim hand. Black at its best might look a lot like Phyrexia, except that consciousnesses are never snuffed out and failed organisms simply must strive harder to be the best they can be.

I would say New Phyrexia is anti-black, though. No individuality to speak of, outside of the red faction, which...is less effective at spreading phyresis than the others.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I should point out that green's fairly competitive too. (Survival of the Fittest is a green card, after all.) Green just balances it with cooperation. Of course, green is also able to cheat death. After green is white, which is the least competitive of colors.

Green's way of thinking is that what's best for the world is a world without weakness, whereas black is egocentric.

Black (the not nice parts) would prefer a world full of weaklings to exploit. 
We should also point out that black does have an aspect to it of toadying, of bowing to beings of greater or darker power. Often this is in a self-serving context, but black does have a greater number of creatures willing and purposed to be sacrificed than any other color. So, those "weaklings" black wants around actually fit into black's philosophical pie, as well.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

It's mostly for the "dark cult" aesthetic, but loyalty can be present in . It's just not an exclusive trait.

Phyrexia's only connection to is the oil. Everything about it screams more //, which are the colours that want progress and peace, at the expense of individuality.
We should also point out that black does have an aspect to it of toadying, of bowing to beings of greater or darker power. Often this is in a self-serving context, but black does have a greater number of creatures willing and purposed to be sacrificed than any other color. So, those "weaklings" black wants around actually fit into black's philosophical pie, as well.

The creatures designed to be sacrificed don't really fit into Black, philosophically speaking. Someone (I think it was Keeper) introduced the idea of "tool races". These races (like Zombies in black) generally don't follow the ideals of a color, but are needed aesthetic or gameplay reasons.

Phyrexia's only connection to is the oil. Everything about it screams more //, which are the colours that want progress and peace, at the expense of individuality.

Phyrexia (the entity) develops around whatever colors are present.
Phyrexia (the plane) only had black mana; ergo, black phyrexians.
Mirrodin had all five colors; ergo, five color phyrexians.

It always seemed more black to me what with the undeath, the parasitism, the zombifying nature of phyresis, etc.   

It always seemed more black to me what with the undeath, the parasitism, the zombifying nature of phyresis, etc.   

Phyrexia always seemed BUG to me at the core. Eugenic, corrupting, scientific. But I can get behind them being whatever their host is.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

The Ineffable was black, so Old Phyrexia was black, just like Minion is a black creature type. It was a plane developed entirely according to the will of one domineering individual, so it's black to the, ahaha, core.

The zombification, yes.

But undeath is also present in some and cards, and parasitism seems to be inconsistent with the core goal.
There's three fictional characters that come to mind when I think of :manar: at its best:

Hidetsugu: Throughout the Kamigawa novels, Hidetsugu demonstrated the ability to savor the anticipation leading up to the All-Consuming's appearance on Kamigawa. Instead of seeking immediate gratification--or slaughter--the ogre shaman allowed himself to stoke the fire of his hatred (especially in the case of his feud with the soratami) to the point of artistic perfection. His attack on Minamo and Oboro was a thing of beauty; the sort of artistry :manar: prides itself on. Hidetsugu's strategy to beat the Hyozan Reckoner's bond-curse was also pretty clever.

Jerry Cornelius: Physicist and rock musician that joined in an endevour to retrieve a microfilm from his ancestral mansion. The venture to the Cornelius Mansion was spearheaded by the ambitious Ms. Brunner; Jerry gave no thought to just what his associates wanted with the microfilm. He simply wanted to rescue his cousin/lover Catherine from his brother, Frank. Emotions motivated Jerry. In the aftermath of the raid we see that he enjoys parties and is generally driven by his emotions in all aspects of life (this is especially apparent in the second Cornelius novel, A Cure for Cancer). When he learned of Ms. Brunner's goal--to use the microfilm data, along with a massive super-computer to create a hermaphrodite--he took the steps necessary to ensure that he was the male candidate for the hermaphrodite project.

Bane as seen in The Dark Knight Rises: I'm spoilertagging this in case there's anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet. Just in case.

Show
Bane's goal in the film is apotheosis of a sort. He's driven to prove himself the superior being to Bruce Wayne and his old savior, Ra's Al Ghul. Its evident through his lines and actions within the film: his anger at Bruce for betraying the League of Shadows and Ra's decision to cast Bane out of the League. In the film he succeeds where Ra's failed: using :manar: tactics to incite Gotham's lower class into a social uprising. I liken this to cards such as Traitorous Blood. Strong emotions motivated Bane's actions; very much :manar:. You could also say he pretty much caused mass Anarchy. He also cared for Talia, though that was tangential to his goal.

Actually, has several examples far more "decent" than those (which are for the most part anti-villains). is the colour of all emotions, including and especially love.

All characters using the power of love are tapping into .

"Decent" as in decent moral fiber or a sense of altruism? Or decent as in my examples are just bad? :Embarassed

Show
I tend to feel that these conversations get really abstract and vague simply because of the bredth of what colors cover and represent and do. So, since my thing is Art, here's each of the colors artistically at their best:

White is Conscience and Order, it's looking at a work and saying "What does this tell me? Do I like its message?" White as its best strives to be a communicator of both sublime beauty and sublime truth, pairing a lofty ideal with highly refined aesthetics. Think of art as a temple and you see where white excels.

Blue is Technical Mastery, it's looking at an idea and saying "What process do I use to arrive at the set of results I seek? How do I effectively convey information, or alternately, what aspect of style or technique is as-of-yet unexplored?" Intellectual experimentation comes from blue, but so does the kind of meticulous refinement that new ideas require. Think of art as a scientific theory and you see where blue excels.

Black is Will and Courage, the will that laughs at compromise. It's painting a portrait of Lenin on the wall of the Rockefeller Center and telling Rockefeller to stuff it when he objects. Black at its best says to hell with the consequences, I demand that the world bend to my own genius. Think of art as a plan for world domination and you see where black excels.

Red is Empathy and the Emotional Experience, its the art of forcing a response from the audience. Red asks "Where does the heart of this piece lie?" and centers the narrative around that core. As Black eschews compromise, Red eschews dilution of an emotional truth. Think of art as a passionate kiss and you see where black excels.

Interestingly, you can see the conflicts each of the colors has from this. White bends the message to a broader concern, while Black's vision is uncompromising. Black forces the world to make space for it, while Green thrives in a space unfilled. Green creates art instinctually, while Blue must dissect the mechanisms and see how art works. Blue pushes experimentation and intellectualism, while Red emphasizes the stories and symbols that are universal and have stood the test of time (you can't find a much more fundamental, profound symbol than that of fire, after all). Red views its subjects through a lens of empathy and individual emotion, while White sees them as sociological symbols representing larger systems of meaning.

But, I think you can also see how the enemy colors would balance each other out in very dynamic and powerful ways.

Jivan asked me to follow this up with the ten guild pairs. So, since I love babbling about the creative process, I'm going to go ahead and do that.

Green and White is Intuition and Conscientious Order together--it is Divine Inspiration. White has a technical, classical bent that is tempered by Green's love of the intuitive choice. Green/White looks at art and says "I am compelled by an inner muse to bring a new truth to the world, and to connect with the world"--whether that vision is religious or secular in nature. Unlike Black, Green/White surrenders its will and acts as a conduit. Think of art as a manifestation of something higher and you see where Green/White excels.

White and Blue is Order and Technical Mastery--it is Absolute Refinement. It is art as classical perfectionism, seeking to perfectly convey an idea with the greatest possible elegance. At its best White/Blue reaches a kind of chilly height of sheer technical brilliance. It relates not to its audience through the heart, as with Red, but through the mind, often alienating the viewer to achieve a deliberate kind of clinical dissection of a notion. Think Kubrick, think Brecht, think Russian Constructivism. Think of art as a perfect mathematical proof and you see where White/Blue excels.

Blue and Black is Technical Mastery and Courageous Will--it is Intellectual Iconoclasm. It is the will to tear down any structure and the insider knowledge to do it--the will to move from pure classical design to abstract cubist disruption. Blue/Black looks at art as it stands, sneers, and sets out to demonstrate its own brilliance at the cost of the old order. Where Green finds a niche and Black forces one, Blue/Black makes everyone ELSE scramble to find a place in the new order of the world. Think of art as the culmination of a game of Xanatos Speed Chess and you see where Blue/Black excels.

Black and Red is Courageous Will and Experiential Emotion--it is Personal Catharsis. All the gritty agonies of life pour out of Black/Red like blood into their work. Black/Red takes its heart and pulls it out where everyone can see it. It makes itself vulnerable but also demands a response. It is overwhelming and supremely cathartic in nature. Unlike White, which deals with justice from a position of detachment, Black/Red expresses the pains and pleasures of life from a deeply personal perspective. Think of art as a violent fight... and violent make-up sex and you see where Black/Red excels.

Red and Green is Experiential Emotion and Intuition--it is Sincerity. Black/Red howls for attention, but Red/Green simply does its work as best it can and tries to connect with people. It is art that grasps the heart of its subject with ease, then takes its audience by the hand through an exploration of that heart. Whereas Blue seeks an elegance that comes from refinement and experimentation, Red/Green recognizes that true elegance comes from telling a good story, well--no weird camera angles needed. Think of art as a loaf of homemade bread broken among friends and you see where Red/Green excels.

So, that's the allies. I'll do the enemies tomorrow. This is fun. :D

Jotted note for tomorrow:

Green and Blue is Intuition and Technical Mastery--it is Wabi-Sabi.

Blue and Red is Technical Mastery and Experiential Emotion--it is Inward-Facing Alchemy.

Red and White is Experiential Emotion and Conscientious Order--it is Bold Idealism.

White and Black is Conscientious Order and Courageous Will--it is Ideological Triumph.

Black and Green is Courageous Will and Intuition--it is Canny Creation.

"Decent" as in decent moral fiber or a sense of altruism? Or decent as in my examples are just bad? :Embarassed

Decent as in altruism/moral fiber. Part of the characteristics of the "ideal hero" is his/her very emotional and subsequently empathetic side, after all.
I considered blue/black to be potential. (As opposed to green, which says "you are what you are".) These colors get the best card draw. (Let's be honest: Black gets better card draw than green, and sometimes even blue.) Blue says nothing can stop any of us from being what we want to be, and black says nothing can stop me from doing whatever I want. (This is the logical extreme, but still...)

When you get to tri-color, you just need to think of them as the absence of the guild at its worst. So Jund would be absolute freedom, for instance.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Thinking green is opposed to other colours is a mistake, I think (with the exception, perhaps, of white's authority which is somewhat central to the colour. Caring for another not so much). It is a colour of two sides - the druid or monk, and the hunting beast. The hunting beast is quite close to B and R, while the druid takes more to blue.

I've always taken the positive aspect of black to be the idea of being your own lord and master, and submitting to the rule of another only if you wish it so.
Trying to help "I'm original" people build better decks is self-sabotage: Good advice will inevitably be ignored because someone did it before. The gist of Magic is going to MWS/MTGO, playing Island, Ponder and watching the opponent ragequit.
Green and Blue is Intuition and Technical Mastery--it is Wabi-Sabi. It is the mastery of a technique that is intuitive. It is the delineation of an entire mountain landscape with three simple brushstrokes. It is refining your intuitive knowledge through communion with the self and through a careful relationship with the chance forces of the external world. When your process makes room for the harmonious accident, you will achieve Green/Blue enlightenment. Think of art as a Martial Art and you see where Green/Blue excels.

Blue and Red is Technical Mastery and Experiential Emotion--it is Inward-Facing Alchemy. It is the expression of sensation with the precision and power that comes from a scientific understanding of aesthetics. It's learning the beats and methods of your art and then using them to create an explosion of cathartic force. Blue/Red doesn't wait for quiet mastery or tradition, it synthesizes opposites in an alchemical orgy. Blue/Red boils. Think of art as a rocket ship and you see where Blue/Red excels.

Red and White is Experiential Emotion and Conscientious Order--it is Bold Idealism. Red/White feels Very Strongly About Things and it is Going To Tell You So, By God. It is dramatic design used to communicate a manifesto, it is tension, it is energy, it is the will to demand change through art. Red/White turns its eyes outward and uses its understanding of empathy to demand a better world. Think of art as the barricades of Paris and you see where Red/White excels.

White and Black is Conscientious Order and Courageous Will--it is Ideological Triumph. While Red/White seeks to mobilize and energize, White/Black eschews such tactics. After all, White/Black is convinced that it has already won. White/Black is the master of great and weighty monuments to gods and, perhaps more fittingly, to mortals. When the ambassadors from the Kievan Russ beheld the Orthodox Litergy they were unsure whether they were on Earth or on Heaven. So it is with White/Black. Think of art as an Absolute Monarchy and you see where White/Black excels.

Black and Green is Courageous Will and Intuition--it is Canny Creation. Perhaps the rarest of forms, Black/Green at its best knows how to balance the will to carve a niche with the need to find one. It is art that carefully and cleverly navigates an often hostile and resistant world in order to find funding, buyers, backers, and easily swayed executives. It recognizes that sometimes compromise is necessary, but said compromise is ultimately short-term--once Black/Green is established you'll see the Individual Will reassert itself once more. Think of art as a hostile corporate takeover and you see where Black/Green excels.

My own random thoughts:

The Black side of art scares me, but I respect it deeply. All the Black combinations are important and perhaps even essential, I think.

I understand Green the least, but I tried to at least abstractly grasp its interests in order to put this together. Not sure how well I did.

I'm probably White/Blue/Red based on these descriptions, with occasional touches of Black. That biases both my own work and my critical analysis. I think reading a lot of my articles will make that apparent. If I had to describe myself it would be in Nephilim terms: I am a being defined less by presence but by lack of that spark of intuition and natural understanding. Maybe I'm being too down on myself there though? I don't know.

Anyway, that's The Colors At Their Best In Art. 
Supremely astute, Keeper. I know ****-all about art, but I feel like I learned something reading that.

I think I like white/black the best of those descriptions, but that might just be flavor.
WHO AM I?
HARDER THAN DIAMONDS STRONGER THAN STEEL AND BURSTING WITH VIGOR. THAT'S THE WAY THE BEAST ENGINE PLAYS.
PROUD BEARER OF THE MOST INCORRECT THING JIVANMUKTA'S READ ON THESE FORUMS YET AWARD. SO BRING IT ON. ALL OF YOU. I have taken the top of the mountain and I will accept all challenges. Attack me, all at once if you must! I will never falter! THE ONLY GLORY IS IN DEATH. AND DON'T FORGET TO COWER BEFORE THE METALLIC MIGHT OF JUSTICE.
Supremely astute, Keeper. I know ****-all about art, but I feel like I learned something reading that.

For the first time I believe, I truly agree with Beast. A terrible things has happened today.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

Art has brought peace to the world!

Thank you guys so much. I'm glad it didn't come across as total nonsense.
It's worth to note that magick is art. While MTG magic is presumably not, as far as the real world is concerned, Keeper has deciphered the mechanics of spells.
Now that I think about it, your description of g/u is also extremely enticing. Hm. That's really much closer to how I approach what little artistic activity I engage in.

Sorry Jivanmarshtomp, looks like we diverge once more.
WHO AM I?
HARDER THAN DIAMONDS STRONGER THAN STEEL AND BURSTING WITH VIGOR. THAT'S THE WAY THE BEAST ENGINE PLAYS.
PROUD BEARER OF THE MOST INCORRECT THING JIVANMUKTA'S READ ON THESE FORUMS YET AWARD. SO BRING IT ON. ALL OF YOU. I have taken the top of the mountain and I will accept all challenges. Attack me, all at once if you must! I will never falter! THE ONLY GLORY IS IN DEATH. AND DON'T FORGET TO COWER BEFORE THE METALLIC MIGHT OF JUSTICE.
Well, I'm still deeply examining my stance, but I think I am Red/White. My serious artistic work usually demands for people to listen to the message. Of course, I can also be considered White/Black, given that it frequently makes use of examples to show why I won the moral debate.
Now that I think about it, your description of g/u is also extremely enticing. Hm. That's really much closer to how I approach what little artistic activity I engage in.

Sorry Jivanmarshtomp, looks like we diverge once more.

Oh I was refering to the "knowing **** about art but still learning". Not which one was a favorite.

I thought of art as

: Landscapes, lots of retro stuff, what Sontag calls "fascist art"
: Religious art, propaganda
: Cubism and things like that
: Commercial art
: Dada
139359831 wrote:
Sign In to post comments