[Contest] YMTC Minesweeper

166 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to YMTC Minesweeper!
This game is for 8-10 people, first come first served.

It should last about 5 rounds or less. Ideally 3-4. Should you participate, please stick till the end. Missing a round may get you killed (coz' participationg a round in the game takes risk!!)
[spoiler Round Length and other disclaimer]
Round length will be flexible to be most accomodating as possible. Round ends, hopefully within 24 hours of last player's submission. (That's for my sleeping time and buffer time for people to change their chosen square strategically.) I'm hoping this to be a fast pace game. So for now, each submission period will be 3-4 days or less.

Contest will end without notice(and/or grading) if too many people missing rounds or if we don't have enough players to start with.
[/spoiler]
So Here's the board.

ABCDEFG
1tv
2sc
3r
4SD
5aTPV
7CG

Each round you will design a card and pick a square.

You will be scored in terms of ranking (as oppose to metrics).

RankEffect
5If you stepped on a mine, you will move it towards the nearest lower ranking player by 1 square.
No other effects if you didn't.
4If you stepped on a mine, you will move it 1 square towards a random direction with a square not chosen that round. (This effect can't kill.)
No other effects if you didn't.
3No effects. (If you step on a mine, you die.)
2If the nearest player moved a mine, it moves 1 extra square towards to you.
1If you didn't step on a mine, after all "mine movements" happened, any mine within 1 (nondiagonal) square will move to you.

Obviously, last man standing wins.

[spoiler Other Notes/tips:] 
- There will be 15 mines in 49 squares. Due to mechanic circumstances, number of mines may reduce when they "collide" into the same square due to moving. 
- All other mechanics will be similar to minesweeper. If you don't know what it is, just design the hella best card.
- First round submission is planned to close on Wednesday Dec 19, 2012
- Ranking is relative. Best cards will get rank 5, and they go from there. It is possible that lower ranks are not given out at all in any particular round.
- If a mine is pulled towards different direction at the same time, lower ranking player gets the mine. If that's tied, lower ranking over all. If still tied, I choose base on personal preference of the entries from the current round LOL.
- Yes, if you are cocky enough, you can theoretically find a mine and purposely step on it. Or better yet, find a mine next to a player and purposely step on it.[/spoiler]

Round 1 Criteria

Design something that epicly blows up.
It's nonred or artifact.

Flavorfully fits into the context of any nonmodern legal set (anything before 8th edition).

[spoiler How does the criteria work?]
Only 1. needs to be followed. The others are bonuses. However I CANNOT guarantee ranking/scoring weight on how you approch those bonuses. They are more for your reference as I believe in "restriction breeds creativity".
I like to judge based on playability and innovation. And I am not a big fan of keywords, especially if they are from different blocks. [/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
House Keeping:

PlayersR2 PicksR3 Picks
altimisA7G3
razorborneD3
Glasir-
VRdragoon-fired
Silly_DragonD4
steelcreed-fired
CatotheyoungerG1blew up
vlordE1
trincE3blew up
TPmanWG2blew up

also board updating.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Oxidizing Spellbomb --
Artifact (U)

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a charge counter on Oxidizing Spellbomb.
When Oxidizing Spellbomb leaves the battlefield, it deals damage to each creature and player equal to the amount of charge counters on it.

One spark will set the world ablaze.

B5 please
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Interesting.
Oxidizing Spellbomb --
Artifact (U)

When Oxidizing Spellbomb leaves the battlefield, it deals damage to each creature and player equal to the amount of charge counters on it.

you need to pick a square <3

Interesting.

come join. I will play poker as well XD

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Shatter the Sun-
Sorcery
Destroy everything.
Lord Windgrace stared into the maddening dark. He raised a hand, spoke a word, and silence fell.

wording tricks! could be "destroy all permanents", but since permanents are the only things capable of being destroyed I figured I'd use this wording instead. you may think it leaves everyone even, but note that, as the likely control player, you will probably start this new world with far more cards. it's also a panic switch if the control-on-control match isn't going your way, but hey whatever. BOOM. I can do that. this wording works, I promise, even though it's not how this'd usually be worded. it's intuitive and it's prettier this way.

unfortunately, this interacts in sad ways with Regeneration and indestructible. putting an anti-regeneration clause or switching to exile makes it way less pretty. (note that, because non-permanent cards can be exiled, I would have to switch "everything" to "all permanents", making it even uglier.) on the other hand, not doing it makes for decks whose whole plan is to get any regenerator, or even use something like dawn charm, you protect all their things from the sun exploding, which seems odd. on flavor, it's weird, certainly, but on balance I think it's okay, considering this costs 7 and you likely need more to get there with regeneration. that deck sounds fun anyway, and the little eccentricities of the rules seem okay by me.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Shivan Volcano
Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice ~ and any number of Mountains: ~ deals X damage to each creature and each player, where X is the number of lands sacrificed this way. 

Yea, it's a massive tempo loss, but it's also a nigh-uncounterable sweeper and can provide a great deal of reach in the lategame.

Square... hm... F7. 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

for square, C3

can't believe this is already page 2. along with trivia and hunt!

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Oxidizing Spellbomb --
Artifact (U)

B5 please

you need to pick a square <3

I have no idea what you're talking about?
Tongue Out B5 please
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Space G5 for me.

Spatial Collapse |
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a shadow counter on a creature he or she controls. Then, if there are no creatures in play without a shadow counter, each player sacrifices all creature they control.
Creatures with shadow counters on them have Shadow.

haha. random pump.

is it because of the judge? (a.k.a. me) 
Am i over analyzing?
I thought contest with difficult criteria is less popular. Then the build-a-deck contest was a blast.
I thought contest with difficult choice/action is less popular, then clue came alone and it has sticked in the first page for the past week.
I thought contest ... nevermind. lol

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
It's obviously because we all hate you, atog.

Bile Bearers
Creature - Zombie
Cumulative Upkeep
When ~ dies, destroy target nonland permanent with converted mana cost less than the number of age counters on it.
No more than sacs of flesh stitched together to hold the chemicals, Lim-Dûl's most twisted creations endlessly manufactured toxins within themselves until they burst from the pressure.
2/2

C4. So I can be next to Razor.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
thought i grew pass caring if people like me.
guess I still care a little.

And deadline extends to when i have 8 players...

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
haha. random pump.

is it because of the judge? (a.k.a. me) 
Am i over analyzing?
I thought contest with difficult criteria is less popular. Then the build-a-deck contest was a blast.
I thought contest with difficult choice/action is less popular, then clue came alone and it has sticked in the first page for the past week.
I thought contest ... nevermind. lol

honestly, my guess is it comes down to name recognition. not that people around here don't know you, but you haven't run all that many contests. when SilentTwin posts a contest, most people around here know what to expect, and he has a history of running good contests. you, to my recollection, don't have a history of running many contests, good or not, so who knows whether it'll actually be good? just stick with it, run a couple contests, and you'll build the reputation you need to draw people in.

or switch your avatar to a creature from a child's game and be casually abrasive to amuse yourself. somehow, that works for me.

C4. So I can be next to Razor.

BFFs4lyfe

nah just kidding Imma bomb you.

nah just kidding Imma bomb you.

Nah brah.

Imma score better than you. And then you'll be the one who is eating trinitrotoluene for breakfast.
Go on, I'll have a go. B2 please, if its not been taken. Any next to it if it has.

Phyrexian Slick
Creature - Horror
Whenever you sacrifice a creature or artifact, ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
When ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it. It deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is its power.
3/2
"You are nothing but so much fuel to Yawgmoth's great machine."
-Tsabo Tavoc

[edit] And now I read the rules. Hold on. Something to burn now
Mine Turtle 
Creature - Turtle
Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, sacrifice it, and it deals 5 damage to each creature blocking or blocked by it.
1/1
"Hello!"

I'll go with D7

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
edited my card. made it multicolor a) to better fit into Apocalypse, where Windgrace was featured, and b) to better fit into the color pie, where white no longer does the whole "blowing up lands" thing.

Everform
Legendary Land

: Each land becomes a land named "Shard of the Everform" with ": Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool".

"If you do not believe in it's majesty, just wait until you are touched by it's beauty."

Square: F1
cool we have 8. i will prepare for the next round. should close within YMTC time 24hrs. Will accept at most 2 more contestants in the mean time.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Power Threshold 
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are 15 or more permanents on the battlefield, destroy all permanents.
"Evacuate the complex, the reactor's gone critical!"

A1
"Their hopes dashed on our shields! Their victory slashed by our swords!"
I'll join, but with Xmas comming I may get blown up for being afk. As long as you have 8 players right?
So is criteruia 2 suppouse to be nonred, and nonartifact?

Self-Destruct :W::W:
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrifice each creature you control.
Bury one permanent for each creature you sacrificed to cast ~.
"Whoever installed this must not have trusted Vlorath to run the Stronghold without betraying them. Their paronia is proving handy" -Gerrard

I choose E5
Oh yeah... was it:

It is Nonred and nonartifact
or
It is Nonred or it is artifact.

I (obviously) interpretted it as the latter, correct me if I'm wrong...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
oh yeah, that. editing my card back to monowhite. justification is that it's set in invasion block, where blowing up all lands was still white. (sort of.) I'm certainly willing to bend the pie to print the words "destroy everything" on a card.

round close. processing

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
By default, first step never blows up. Comments coming up next.

ABCDEFG

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
[spoiler Rank 5 - the almost-flawless][spoiler Silly_Dragons]

Bile Bearers
Creature - Zombie
Cumulative Upkeep
When ~ dies, destroy target nonland permanent with converted mana cost less than the number of age counters on it.
No more than sacs of flesh stitched together to hold the chemicals, Lim-Dûl's most twisted creations endlessly manufactured toxins within themselves until they burst from the pressure.
2/2

Makes me think of Left 4 dead boomer. I love it. also reminds me of Heart of Bogardan. I might make it equal or less than so that I don't have to wait two turns to blow up a mox. Everything else is awesome. [/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler Rank 4 - the flavorfullest][spoiler razorborne]
Shatter the Sun-
Sorcery
Destroy everything.
Lord Windgrace stared into the maddening dark. He raised a hand, spoke a word, and silence fell.

A flavor-oriented entry. So we have planar cleansing at 6 and this at 7 and two colors. I guess it's fair and I do like it monocolor better. Nothing much I can say about the design except it fits the criteria exceptionally well. It's epic for sure. Too bad they stop printing destroy all land stuff; I do miss apocalypse sometimes. I am a bit torn. On one hand I believe mass-land-tampering is frown upon which makes it less printable. On the other hand they still have worldfire in the range at 9. So the question comes down to "is 7 mana in two colors enough"? I understand that at 8, this will not be realistically playable on a competitive level.  [/spoiler][/spoiler] [spoiler Rank 3 - the cool-but-also-kinda-ordinary and the would-have-been-high-rank-if-not-op][spoiler altimis]
Oxidizing Spellbomb --
Artifact (U)

The charge counter mechanic as been demostrated plenty of times.  It bugs me slightly that the card just do nothing on its own. Ironically, this "drawback" is the one part that stands out and makes this different than other artifact board-wipe implementation. I wish it is at least a creature or something that is easier to kill than a noncreature artifact. [/spoiler] [spoiler Glasir]
Shivan Volcano
Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped.
, Sacrifice ~ and any number of Mountains: ~ deals X damage to each creature and each player, where X is the number of lands sacrificed this way. 

Yea, it's a massive tempo loss, but it's also a nigh-uncounterable sweeper and can provide a great deal of reach in the lategame.

My first thought is that it's broken. Land with game-ending ability worries me. And I certainly wouldn't call this "tempo loss" as you won't need "tempo" after this blows up. This is a very tricky land as it doesn't scale linearly. It's much strong at smaller X than larger. If you treat it as "
Land
ETBT
, Sacrifice this: ~ deals 1 damage to each creature and each player."
It's quite broken. A free spell that wipes out mana elf and the likes seems very bad for the current creature-tempo oriented environment that they are pushing. There's Barbarian Ring that gives you a shock after threshold. Then there's Rath's Edge that pings per land you sacrifice. Yours offer unconditional boardwide damage.  And then on top of it it has the versatility of being a finisher. I have to conclude this is quite broken. I would've really like the idea though if it was a little more tame.

[/spoiler][/spoiler] [spoiler Rank 2 - the a-little-too-safe and the off-color trio] [spoiler steelcreed]

Phyrexian Slick
Creature - Horror
Whenever you sacrifice a creature or artifact, ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
When ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it. It deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is its power.
3/2
"You are nothing but so much fuel to Yawgmoth's great machine."
-Tsabo Tavoc

Solid entry. Maybe a bit expensive and tough to build around. I love how it took the illusion mechanic which used to be black and develop it to have its black identity back.[/spoiler] [spoiler vlord]
Everform
Legendary Land

: Each land becomes a land named "Shard of the Everform" with ": Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool".

"If you do not believe in it's majesty, just wait until you are touched by it's beauty."

Very creative way to approach the criteria. It's a slightly weird chromatic lantern that benefits your opponent as well? I think the ability is probably cost right. But the spike inside me keeps wanting it to be and might probably get away with it. I have to say though is pretty unappealing.[/spoiler][spoiler  Catotheyounger]
Mine Turtle 
Creature - Turtle
Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, sacrifice it, and it deals 5 damage to each creature blocking or blocked by it.
1/1
"Hello!"

On one hand I thought to myself, it would be so cool if it referenced goblin grenade. On the other hand I'm not sure how I'd handle the cliche if I really did see it as an entry. It's a solid entry per se but lacking a bit of wow factor.[/spoiler] [spoiler TPmanW]

Self-Destruct :W::W:
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrifice each creature you control.
Bury one permanent for each creature you sacrificed to cast ~.
"Whoever installed this must not have trusted Vlorath to run the Stronghold without betraying them. Their paronia is proving handy" -Gerrard

I choose E5

I understand white is the martyr color. But this on most levels feels like "act of lunatics" more than "disiplined-sacrifice". I don't believe mass-targetted permanent removals, even at grave cost, fits white's philosophy.[/spoiler][spoiler VRdragoon]

Spatial Collapse |
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a shadow counter on a creature he or she controls. Then, if there are no creatures in play without a shadow counter, each player sacrifices all creature they control.
Creatures with shadow counters on them have Shadow.

Another entry that makes me all torn inside. It's a blue boardwipe. It really should have the Quicksilver Fountain treatment. Or better yet, keeps the creature tapped if you want lingering effect. Anything but sacrificing will make this an awesome card.2[/spoiler][spoiler trinc]
Power Threshold 
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are 15 or more permanents on the battlefield, destroy all permanents.
"Evacuate the complex, the reactor's gone critical!"

A1

I like Planar Collapse. I'm not sure why this is blue though. Blue probably have the least to do with "destroying" among all 5 colors. Yet something" inside me keeps yelling "give this a higher rank, flavor alone can justify color." Didn't listen to it in the end.[/spoiler][/spoiler]Yea no one dies in round 1. This is more of a reference of what I weight in a design. 
+ playability
+ innovation
+ flavor (i try but i am really not hone to it)
hurting the color pie or over-the-curve power comes at grave penalty.

Hope I can be consistant to this standard. I'm only human XD

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

ABCDEFG
1   vC
2     TP
3  rt  
4  SD   
7a    

Round 2 Criteria

Design something that victimizes others 
It's nonblack and has nothing to do with creatures
CMC 4+

It's getting close to Christmas. So if possible I'd have all the submission by christmas and I can spend my christmas time grading it and people can come back for the game after. This round will close soon as everyone submits. The next round probably won't start until after the holiday and its aftermath is over.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
calling dibs on D3.

Sinister Contract-
Sorcery
Target creature gets +5/+5. Destroy it.
Kingdoms crumble and empires fall to the power of the dotted line.

would probably exist in some set where power mattered, because it momentarily gives them a massive creature, and some things could care about that. you could also have cards that care about their P/T when they die. man I don't know I just really like that wording. look at it. it's pretty.

D4! D4!
G1

Gatekeeper of Llanowar 
Creature - Elf Shaman
Kicker
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, target player sacrifices an artifact or enchantment.
2/2 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Subtle Persuasion  
Sorcery     (R)
Target opponent reveals their hand, Choose a noncreature card and a nonland card from their hand, then that opponent discards them unless he or she sacrifices 2 noncreature permanents.  If no cards were discarded and no permanents were sacrificed, then that opponent loses 5 life.
"That's a nice army base you've got there, general. Wouldn't want anything to ah..*happen* to it..." 

E3 
"Their hopes dashed on our shields! Their victory slashed by our swords!"
4 down six to go

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
vic·tim·ize
[vik-tuh-mahyz]
verb (used with object), vic·tim·ized, vic·tim·iz·ing.
1. to make a victim of.
2. to dupe, swindle, or cheat.
3. to slay as or like a sacrificial victim.

Mislead
Instant
Target player skips his or her next main phase.
"False information lulls enemies into a sense of security. If they expect an attack in three days, they will not be prepared when one comes today."

I ended up going with definition 2 here. The idea here is you're tricking your opponent by making him think he has a phase to cast spells and stuff, but he doesn't actually. Basically, I tried to make an interesting card with tricky interactions.

Most good players attack first and then cast their spells on their second main phase, so this spell at the end of combat will essentially time walk them. They may even make their attacks with the thought that they will cast a creature or two after combat, then you can play this and not give them the opportunity to, leaving them with not enough blockers on your turn.

Also, this can't cost more than 4 mana imo because if it costs 5 you might as well just play Time Warp and actually time walk your opponent.
A7 my good sir!

Bullied Academics -- :UM::UM:
Enchantment - Aura (R)

Enchant player
When enchanted player draws a card, each other player may draw a card.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
+
updated board.
lol people are vicious 

Waiting for Glasir, VRDragoon, steelcreed, vlord and TPmanW.
Will have extra time in this round coz' of christmas.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
please don't count my card as an actual submission it is just a placeholder.

please don't count my card as an actual submission it is just a placeholder.

i know

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Primal Adversary

Creature - Elephant Warrior

When ~ enters the battlefield, name target creature an opponent controls.
At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ fights a creature of that name.

Once crossed, never forgotten, never forgiven.

4/5

Square: E1