U/W Combo control

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I though of slaping together a control deck (cause why the hell not). It relies on the interaction between Seance, Mirror-mad Phantasm and Laboratory Maniac. The goal is to get the phantasm into the graveyad and then get out his token on your opponents turn using seance. Activate his ability and mill out your entire deck. During your upkeep, get out the Laboratory Maniac out of the graveyard. If they have instant speed removal, flashback a Think Twice. The first build looks something like this.

What changes could I make for the deck to become at least playable? Note that I put this together for fun, so, unless it's really good, I won't be dropping a lot of money on a particular card.

Also, I haven't thought on a sideboard yet. 
probably need to add another color for looting, either faithless looting in red or black for forbidden alchemy.

also, why not take a page from human reanimator and run chronic flooding to really get the hard going.  get rid of all the excessive control cards and focus more on the combo maybe?

either way, seems interesting.

definitly need better mana, but i understand the budget concerns. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I agree with Burning_Forest. 

Focus more on the combo. That means focus on how you're going to get seance into quickly and how you're going to get the two necessary creatures into your graveyard quickly.

Chronic flooding seems really good for the self mill like forest mentioned. I think this is the easy part as shown by human reanimator. 
The hard part I think will be getting the seance into play and using it before it gets destroyed.

I think this is your core deck.

I don't know what else to put for the remaining deck or if adding another color would help. I don't think the control aspect will work too well. I'd rather go with adding creatures though.

@B_F
Yes, having red would help me a lot, but I don't think going U/W/R without the dual lands is ideal. I feel like U/W is pretty demanding on its own, without having to worry for a third colour. That being said, my main concern is drawing either Mirror-Mad Phantasm or Laboratory Maniac witout any possibility of discarding them. I may cast them, but then I risk losing my win condition (via Detention Sphere, Oblivion Ring, Fiend Hunter, Dissipate, Syncopate, Pillar of Flame, just to name a few). I could maybe add another Laboratory Maniac to prevent this, but the phantasm needs to remain a 1-of. Are there any means to discard in the U/W colours?

Chronic Flooding went completely over my head. It happened multiple times I was stuck with no means to mill myself or draw cards. This should be the solution.

@SSpidey
Which creatures should I add? I already have Armored Skaab[c] and [c]Screeching Skaab which fulfill a double role; they keep me alive when paired with aggro players (which is pretty much my biggest worry regarding matchups) and they help me mill myself. I could use some fliers, though. Now, sould I go with something like Midnight Haunting or go bigger and pick Restoration Angel.

A random thought I had this morning is that I could try adding one or two Runechanters Pike as a last-resort win condition.

Changes:
-1 Dissipate
-1 Feeling of Dread
-2 Screeching Skaab
+4 Chronic Flooding
+1 Detention Sphere 
(ran 59 cards like a true pro)

The sideboard is starting to get a shape, also.
???
i tested the deck out yesterday.  the need pretty much MUST have forbidden alchemy or you can't make it work reliably at all.

overall, it's probably just too slow, but it is fun when it works.  

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Sign In to post comments