Hakeem928's 1V1 Xbox Tournament

131 posts / 0 new
Last post
I constantly lurk in all the other tournament threads reading post-match writeups, so I thought why not start one of my own? I just decided on a format and I think it will be a lot of fun, so here goes.

Each player names 6 decks, in order, that they would like to use. I will roll 2d6 for each player to determine which decks will be used and in what order they will be used (all doubles are re-rolled). Example:

Joe: MS, AW, CW, OD, AoW, GP

EDIT: For any matches involving me, another player (who is not my opponent) will perform the rolls.

I roll 2d6 and get 3-4, so Joe uses CW for game 1 and OD for game 2. If it goes to game 3, it is the player's choice which deck to use but it has to be one of the two rolled decks. The lowest roll will always be the first deck you play, so you may even want to apply some strategy to the ordering of your decks!

Now, I will contact each player through PM, so you will not know which decks of the 6 your opponent will be using or in what order. After games 1 & 2, sideboarding will be allowed because you will know that he has a choice of only two decks and you can rebuild accordingly.

I would like 16 players, but if the thread stagnates I will start it up with just 8. Players will be seeded based on posting order, and the format will go like this:

1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

After each round, the highest remaining seed plays the lowest and we continue until a winner has been decided. Deck re-rolls will occur every round to keep things fresh, but your 6 decks remain locked in their original order.

The thread will be updated each Monday, so there will be 1 week to complete each round. I know it's the holidays, but we should all be able to squeeze in a few matches given a full-week timeline.

If there is a lot of interest then I don't mind going to 32 players, so even if slots 1-16 are filled, please post anyway. The tournament will officially start on New Year's Eve, giving everyone plenty of time to get in here and join up. The second post in this thread will be constantly updated with current information. Good luck!

EDIT: Please post your Xbox GamerTags to make friend requests easier!
Round 1 Seeding (GamerTag/ForumID):

#1: Hakeem928/Hakeem928 - SS, CW, AW, GM, MS, OD
#2: Thenarus/Jizzon - SS, OD, BoF, CW, MS, PK
#3: CraigJ1410/monk1410 - GG, SS, OD, CW, GP, AW
#4: Harmless Brew/BrewskyUK - OD, GP, GG, CW, BoF, SS
#5: Proghouseman/prog - SS, CW, OD, AW, GM, BoF
#6: J DUB2185/JDUB2185 - PK, GP, GM, OD, CW, AoW
#7: iNEMESIS PRIME/iHARBiNG3R - GM, AW, OD, BoF, PK, DP
#8: RubicksHD/The1udontc - SS, OD, CW, GG, PK, BoF

Round 1 Schedule/Results:

Hakeem928 vs. RubicksHD: 2-0
Thenarus vs. iNEMESIS PRIME: 2-1
CraigJ1410 vs. J DUB2185: 0-2
Harmless Brew vs. Proghouseman: 0-2

Round 2 Schedule/Results:

Hakeem928 vs. J DUB2185 2-0
Thenarus vs. Proghouseman 2-0

Round 3 Schedule/Results:

Hakeem928 vs. Thenarus
My choices:

SS, CW, AW, GM, MS, OD
I'm in.

SS, OD, BoF, CW, MS, PK

Also, Joe in your example has seven decks =p 
I'm in.

SS, OD, BoF, CW, MS, PK

Also, Joe in your example has seven decks =p 

Good eye! Corrected.

Also, please post your Xbox GamerTags and I will use that information in the 'current info' post so we can all send out friend requests. 
Ah, will do.

XBL:  Thenarus 
I'm in mate, ill add my decks shortly.

GT: CraigJ1410
GG, SS, OD, CW, GP and PK
I constantly lurk in all the other tournament threads reading post-match writeups, so I thought why not start one of my own? I just decided on a format and I think it will be a lot of fun, so here goes.

Each player names 6 decks, in order, that they would like to use. I will roll 2d6 for each player to determine which decks will be used and in what order they will be used (all doubles are re-rolled). Example:

EDIT: For any matches involving me, another player (who is not my opponent) will perform the rolls.

I roll 2d6 and get 3-4, so Joe uses CW for game 1 and OD for game 2. If it goes to game 3, it is the player's choice which deck to use but it has to be one of the two rolled decks. The lowest roll will always be the first deck you play, so you may even want to apply some strategy to the ordering of your decks!

Now, I will contact each player through PM, so you will not know which decks of the 6 your opponent will be using or in what order. After games 1 & 2, sideboarding will be allowed because you will know that he has a choice of only two decks and you can rebuild accordingly.

I would like 16 players, but if the thread stagnates I will start it up with just 8. Players will be seeded based on posting order, and the format will go like this:

1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

After each round, the highest remaining seed plays the lowest and we continue until a winner has been decided. Deck re-rolls will occur every round to keep things fresh, but your 6 decks remain locked in their original order.

The thread will be updated each Monday, so there will be 1 week to complete each round. I know it's the holidays, but we should all be able to squeeze in a few matches given a full-week timeline.

If there is a lot of interest then I don't mind going to 32 players, so even if slots 1-16 are filled, please post anyway. The tournament will officially start on New Year's Eve, giving everyone plenty of time to get in here and join up. The second post in this thread will be constantly updated with current information. Good luck!

Well I suppose I'd better raise the bar. I'm in. Harmless Brew/BrewskyUK. Decklist: OD, GP, GG, CW, BoF, SS.
Sorry hakeem can i change PK for AW wanna see how it plays in a tournament.

Erm, I object to the immediate deck change suggested by Craig...Tongue Out
Lol go away
I'm in:

Gamertag: Proghouseman

SS, CW, OD, AW, GM, BoF

Please PM me through xbox live.

Cheers! 

Done. Anyone can change their decks before the start of the tourney.
Bump.
I'm in.

GT MR x PO5TMAN

my decks: GG, OD, CL, GP, SS, BoF 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

1 vs 16
2 vs 15
3 vs 14
4 vs 13
5 vs 12
6 vs 11
7 vs 10
8 vs 9

What time will the tournament be starting? 
New Year's Eve, so round 1 results will be due January 7th. It was in the OP, but it was rather long so I guess you missed it.
Sign me up. GT: iNEMESIS PRIME

GM, AW, OD, BoF, PK, SS
Bump. Also that'll be interesting as new decks will be out around the 7th won't they?
Well, if everyone wants to delay a few weeks so we can have time to purchase/unlock all the new decks, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Thoughts?
I say get it up and running and then allow 1 deck to be switched out for one of the two new unlocks. It'll be better to get things started ASAP in my opinion. As ever, I'm happy to go with the majority vote.
Everyone chime in with your thoughts and we'll do the majority; I don't care, I just wanna play some ultra-competitive Magic!
Everyone chime in with your thoughts and we'll do the majority; I don't care, I just wanna play some ultra-competitive Magic!

I agree!
I think we start as soon as we hit 16 people. I don't mind changing decks or not for round 2
Are you 2 on in a but?
I don't know if we'll hit 16 people, honestly, I would imagine that 8 is probably more realistic. If all agree, we can just start playing whenever, I'm not dead-set on December 31st. It's just a busy time of year, so I thought I'd make sure we all had plenty of time.
Are you 2 on in a but?

I'm on right now tweaking my decks mate.
I'm here as well, but my little fella is napping and due to wake up soon. Get on soon!
I'm down

SS, OD, CW, GG, PK, BoF

XBL Gamertag - RubicksHD 
So we now have 8 participants and it took 3 days to get them all. I would imagine that getting another 8 at this time of year would only take a lot longer than that. Are we cool with running it as an 8-player tourney?
I am fine with that. We can always run another in the new year with all the decks?
I'm happy to start now. 8 players is good enough for me.
8 is fine!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I'm good with 8
Well that's enough for me, we'll go with 8. I'm headed out to the supermarket now, will update the thread with matchup and do the rolls before bed. Let's all agree on a time to have the first round completed..... thoughts?
Matchups are posted and rolls have been done, so check your inboxes to find your decks for the first round. Your opponent will not know what you are playing.

I've asked monk1410 to roll the dice for my matchup with The1udontc, so hopefully he'll have those PMs out to us by end-of-day tomorrow. Start making friend requests with your opponents on XBL now and arrange a suitable time to play.

Detailed post-game write-ups would be great, but not necessary.

Good luck to all.
I've got my decks, so I assume The1udontc does as well. Let's get underway!
Rolls done and messages sent Good Luck all
I would like to join the tournament gt is J DUB2185
We've gone ahead and started with 8 players, look out for my next tourney. If you're looking for some opponents to play against, see our Gamertags in the second post and send out friend requests... I'm sure most would be happy to oblige.
Sign In to post comments