Student of Malediction...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm making a Barbarian that multiclasses into Warlock through Student of Malediction. My goal is to curse as many targets as i can with powers such as Twofold Curse and then use feats that grant advantages against cursed targets without cashing in on the damage aspect of it. Examples of this are: Warding Curse - +2 to defences against target, Protective Hex -2 attack against allies, and so on.

My question is this:
Contagious Curse: When an enemy cursed by you drops to 0 hit points, you can curse all enemies adjacent to the target as a free action.

This power does not state you use the Warlocks Curse power on the target but rather that you simply curse the target. Would this feat allow me to curse targets beyond the limit set by Student of Malediction?

For quick reference:

Student of Malediction [Multiclass Warlock]

Prerequisite: Con 13, Cha 13

Benefit: Once per encounter, you can use the Warlock’s Curse class feature. The curse ends the first time you deal the extra damage from Warlock’s Curse. In addition, you can wield warlock implements.

Warlock's Curse isn't a power (CB/Compendium is dumb that way), it is a class feature, and yes, using it to Curse things means you are using the class feature. The one you can only use one/encounter.
I see. This should however not affect the use of Twofold Curse, does it?

And if that is how it works, if you had a burst that let you curse all targets (I believe the Hexer paragon path had something of the kind), would Twofold Curse then not let you curse and additional target for each target cursed?
Twofold Curse modifies how the class feature works, it's not "You use the class feature twice when you use it" but "When you use the class feature, it has double the effect".

Because Twofold Curse affects the targeting restriction of the Feature, and Powers which curse their targets are overriding the targeting restrictions of the Feature and so Twofold doesn't matter to them at all. It's a case of Specific (What the Power says) > General (What the Feature says)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Couldi therefor mass-curse once during the encounter with Student of Malediction?
If you had a power that mass-cursed, yes.

I don't know why you'd want to do that on a Barbarian though, it's less than useless spending 4+ feats and Power Swapping just for Curse effects.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I will grant you that. At this point I'm just trying to see how far this can be pushed. At this point i'm at most going to use Student of Malediction + Twofold Curse.
I will grant you that. At this point I'm just trying to see how far this can be pushed. At this point i'm at most going to use Student of Malediction + Twofold Curse.

How far it can be pushed is making yourself a warlock.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here