Newbie Help

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone, I'm new to tabletop RPG's and don't know where to start here. I've played card games like Pokemon before, and seen others play, but never actually played myself. It seems like fun to play, but I'm really overwhelmed. I saw a video for D&D Encounters, which seems like what I want to do, but I have a few questions. (btw, I'm a youth) 
1. Since Christmas is coming up, and my parents won't let me buy anything until afterwards, is it possible for me to go to play Encounters next Wednesday and not need to buy anything? (I have 20 sided dice, if that helps at all :P) 
2.  If I did go to play, is it ok if I don't know all of the rules, and may need some help get going? 
3. If I do get the Red Box set, would I have to go and buy some other books seperately? 
Website-Related question:
4. On this website, on the "Daily D&D" what is all of that? Is it some story?  
Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated.  
1. You will probably have to have a character sorted out beforehand, I don't know. It sounds like you have somewhere sorted out though, so you could probably phone ahead and check and get things sorted. Other than that a set of dice would be good, but a D20 is definitely the most important thing to have.

2. As long as you mention that beforehand, and do your best to pick things up, everything should be good (if people aren't willing to welcome people into the hobby, they are acting rather stupidly). Basically, describe everything you want to do, roll D20s to attack and to use skills (normally when prompted), and the other dice are normally for damage.

3. HAVE to? No. But the red box is the very very basics of the game, and an introduction. To play the full game, and to get more options, you'll likely want to start buying more books - I'm not the best person to comment on the Essentials line, as I tend to play pre-essentials 4th edition, but here's a bit of an idea of what to go for:

Essentials: Rules Compendium (full list of rules for D&D Essentials)
Heroes of the fallen lands (this will list the first set of basic characters you can play in Essentials, other "Heroes of..." books will give you more options of what to play)
If you wanted to run games, then you might want to look into buying the Dungeon Master's guide and monster vault

Either way, you may want to have a full range of dice (D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 and D20)

(personally I play with the classes released in the Player's Handbooks, which play differently, but the game is still the same)

4. I don't really keep up with it, but Daily D&D is a collection of different articles about D&D, ranging from more story-based (often referred to as 'fluff') or more about actually running the game, and how it plays ('crunch').

Welcome to the hobby! Hope you enjoy yourself
Hey everyone, I'm new to tabletop RPG's and don't know where to start here. I've played card games like Pokemon before, and seen others play, but never actually played myself. It seems like fun to play, but I'm really overwhelmed. I saw a video for D&D Encounters, which seems like what I want to do, but I have a few questions. (btw, I'm a youth) 
1. Since Christmas is coming up, and my parents won't let me buy anything until afterwards, is it possible for me to go to play Encounters next Wednesday and not need to buy anything? (I have 20 sided dice, if that helps at all :P) 
2.  If I did go to play, is it ok if I don't know all of the rules, and may need some help get going? 
3. If I do get the Red Box set, would I have to go and buy some other books seperately? 

1. yes. they have pregenerated characters available. you could likely share dice with someone, but you will want your own set soon. (see #3)
2. yes, thats the whole purpose
3. eventually you would want some other books if you stick with it, but the red box sounds perfect for you. it teaches you to play, it comes with dice, it has an adventure-basically everything you and some friends need to get started. its also comparatively cheap. so i recommend it for you.
4. daily dnd is just the title for the daily site content; they pride themselves that there is some kind of new content every day.
there are differing opinions of what you need. Fortunately, someone at the event will probably help if you ask nicely. Bring pencils and paper, if nothing else. Maybe snack food to share if the venue allows.
You might even find some actually helpful people here.
We can only hope.

Good luck.
Let us know how it goes.

Absolutely go to Encounters.  Bring your dice, and some pencils and paper, if you can, but mainly just show up and explain that you're new to all this and ask them to help you get in.  Maybe show up a little early, too.

Eventually, but not right away.  Save some christmas money for it.

This one I don't know.

Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try to make it on Wednesday, thank you for all your help!

Eventually, yes.  Red Box is only for levels 1 &2.  It's meant to lead into the rest of the "Essentials" line.  The books a player would want in that line are "Heroes of the Fallen Land" and "Heroes of the Forgetten Kingdoms" - you'd only really /need/ one or the other (each has everything a player needs, just different races & classes).  Fallen Land has the more familiar ones:  Humans, Elves, Dwarves & Halfings, like LotR or The Hobbit, and classes like the Fighter, Wizard and Thief.  

It's just a link to the latest D&D-related content, typically a Dragon "Magazine" article.  Seems like they're on break for the holidays at the moment, though. ;)

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!