Client village suggestions?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for a good "small town" that isn't just a tiny village in the wilderness--something that has streets, multiple inns/taverns, perhaps walls (perhaps not), and which is plausibly a client village of a powerful city-state. I'm writing an adventure involving a defiler serial killer and need such a place for a setting.

Two great options would be Makla and Altaruk (well, the Ashes of Athas "big Altaruk", not the old 2E little fort). However, I've already used those in my campaign, so I have to set this elsewhere.

I'm also ruling out Kled.

Thanks for suggestions! 
Any of the forts along the main roads would probably have inns and streets. I used Fort Kalvis, south of Gulg, because it was near where my PCs were and it's run by House Tsalaxa which the defiler (Kargash) that was to be  a part of the story was employed by.
Hmm, yeah, I'll take a look through Dune Trader for specifics. I was hoping to avoid forts, but I get that the harshness of Athas means that most places that survive for any length of time outside of the city-states are walled forts (the smaller villages are most likely regularly raided/wiped out/etc.).
What about the client villages of Urik that are mentioned in the novels by Lynn Abbey. There are ten to choose from, so you are free to choose which one according to the information present. The novels have the most information on Codesh. Otherwise you'd be obligated/free to create the info yourself.

The ten villages are as such:

1. Codesh
2. Modekan
3. Todek
4. Farl
5. Khelo
6. Langu
7. Gelid
8. Jhek
9. Oketh
10. Hua (note the name of the tenth village is never given, thus this name is unofficial).

I haven't read those novels; I found most of the Dark Sun stuff I read beyond Troy Dennings' books to be low quality (and I am constantly aggrieved by its canon mistakes, such as having psionic-levitated silt skimmers being in common usage by villagers and individuals everywhere, or muls having mohawks). Maybe I should check them out, especially the stuff about Codesh.

There are plenty of things to read besides Denning, most of it good. All of it useful one way or another for fleshing out purposes, or for just plain giving you ideas. All are worth stealing from.

Lynn Abbey
- Service
- The Brazen Gambit
- Cinnabar Shadows
- The Rise & Fall of a Dragon King

Simon Hawke
- The Outcast
- The Seeker
- The Nomad
- The Broken Blade 

Ryan Hughes
- The Darkness Before the Dawn

Jeff Mariotte
- City Under the Sand

Keith R. A. DeCandido
- Under the Crimson Sun

Robert J. Schwalb
- Death Mark

William W. Connors
- Equinox
- Facets
- Heat Lightning

Allen Varney & Aaron Allston
- Boneyard Lights

Allen Varney
- Shackles

J. Robert King
- Claw of the Blue Mekillot

M. C. Sumner
- Loyalties

Lisa Smedman
- Command Performance

Kevin J. Anderson
- Blood Oasis

We now know a lot about Altaruk, sure, but virtually nothing about other small places your heroes might go to. Abbey's Codesh is well described, down to the atmosphere. It too was my first choice. Then there's Hawke's Salt View, an ex-slave tribe holdout turned into small village catering to vices. Whether you adhere to the original 2e version of Salt View, or Hawke's more colorful and arguably more adventure-generating Salt View, all these descriptions are very useful for creating a small village.
Simon Hawke's stuff is actually what turned me off reading further Dark Sun writing. I did attempt City Under The Sand and some short stories (I don't remember who wrote them), but no thanks. "Death Mark" is actually on my reading list, though.

Salt View did cross my mind, though, so maybe I can go back to Hawke just for poaching purposes... 
Anyone can give you their opinion on which are their favourite stories, and their worst, and perhaps why. Won't be worth much to you.

One thing I can say, now that you've read Mariotte, and told me you once attempted to start on Hawke, that yes Mariotte was virtually useless for poaching purposes, a sad affair; Hawke, despite his whiny, indestructible, multi-talented hero, and supporting cast with often little to no Athasian feel to them, is very good at moving you to the places he describes, be they deserts or villages. 
Ket could be good, but it's a little too far off the beaten path for the direction of my campaign...I was thinking it would be a village the PCs would pass through, not one they had to travel for weeks to the northeast just to get to. I can figure something out with that if I really end up liking Ket, though...
Ket could be good, but it's a little too far off the beaten path for the direction of my campaign...I was thinking it would be a village the PCs would pass through, not one they had to travel for weeks to the northeast just to get to. I can figure something out with that if I really end up liking Ket, though...

athas.org has a netbook called Villages of the Wastes.  That should have what you are looking for. 

But I cannot access the products page of athas.org any more.  I am not sure you can access it until they get that straigthened out.
I am able to view the page and download the product.