Question about counters

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I noticed some cards specify to add x number of +1/+1 counters to a target creature, while others state "target creature gets +x/+y" and not mention counters at all. Are these two categorized under separate buffs or are they both assumed to be "counters" in the way that auras are generally assumed to have targets?
if the card doesn't use the word "counter", it doesn't use counters

non-counter buffs are generally temporary, usually until end of turn, but there are a few exceptions (careful that at least one of these "exceptions" is a misprint, so check the oracle text)
proud member of the 2011 community team
if the card doesn't use the word "counter", it doesn't use counters

Thanks! 
Auras always target when cast as a spell, it is not just "generally assumed". Once they leave the stack, though, they no longer target anything. And if they enter the battlefield in any other way, they do not target at all, you simply attach them to an object or player they can legally enchant if possible.

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Sign In to post comments