Brutal Barrage UNSOLVED!!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

my question is about the lvl 13 at-will BM power, Brutal Barrage..... i want to know if the target falls prone right after the second hit, or after all 3 attacks (4 with augment 1) are made.

a member of my party is completely sure that BB prones after all 3 hits have been dealt, he says so because of the following 2 main reasons:

1 - acording to the RC page 92, the order of the entries in a power's description define the sequence in wich the power's effects occur. Therefor BB prones after all hits have been dealt.

2 - In the effect's description there's a confusing statement ("If you hit the target two OR MORE TIMES, it falls prone.") which somehow gives the idea that you could hit the target more than twice before falling prone... thus all 3 hits must be dealt before reading the effect's entry.

this was the answer given by CS:

Hello Norberto,

Thank you for contacting us!

Q: Does a target that gets hit with Brutal Barrage go prone after the first two hits or after the power resolves?

A: The target would fall prone after the the final hit has been dealt.    NOTE HERE THAT NO REASONS ARE GIVEN!

I hope that this has answered your question.
If you have any more questions feel free to contact us again!

Joshua

Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

?????????

Thanks you all!!

People argue about this sometimes, but the general consensus is that multiattacks are rolled and resolved sequentially, so the target would fall prone on the second hit.

Additionally, most people on these boards have very little respect for CS answers. They do not come from the development team, and the CS team does not necessarily play or know anything at all about DnD. There are several hilariously incorrect answers from them floating around, and if you ask the same question twice, two different CS people almost always give different and conflicting answers.
He falls prone on the second hit.

Yes CS is wrong a ton of the time.  If you want Alcestis can direct you to the proof that they are almost always wrong. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
"The sequence of entries in a power description is a general guide to the sequence in which the power's effects occur." RC entry you're referencing. So that is a non-starter as an argument, because there are a number of powers that aren't executed in the order they are written, simply because of other rules, which is why it is called a general guideline.

Now I have no idea why you wouldn't just go down a couple more pages in the RC and check out the actual "Effect" entry for powers, which says: "Effect: Whatever is described in an "Effect" entry simply happens, regardless of its position in the sequence of entries." RC 96.

Oh look, the order of entry specifically doesn't matter according to the Effect: entry.

Also you'll get zero respect from anyone who knows anything for asking CS a question and expecting to be taken seriously.
"The sequence of entries in a power description is a general guide to the sequence in which the power's effects occur." RC entry you're referencing. So that is a non-starter as an argument, because there are a number of powers that aren't executed in the order they are written, simply because of other rules, which is why it is called a general guideline.

Now I have no idea why you wouldn't just go down a couple more pages in the RC and check out the actual "Effect" entry for powers, which says: "Effect: Whatever is described in an "Effect" entry simply happens, regardless of its position in the sequence of entries." RC 96.

Oh look, the order of entry specifically doesn't matter according to the Effect: entry.

Also you'll get zero respect from anyone who knows anything for asking CS a question and expecting to be taken seriously.

Breathe in, Breathe out, think soothing thoughts.

He is new, he doesn't know any better.

Its not like it is intuitive that CS is always wrong.  One would think that if you asked the customer service department of the game that you are playing how to play the game that they made they would probably have good solid answers.  It isn't true, but it isn't a stupid thing to assume as a new poster. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Breathe in, Breathe out, think soothing thoughts.

He is new, he doesn't know any better.

Its not like it is intuitive that CS is always wrong.  One would think that if you asked the customer service department of the game that you are playing how to play the game that they made they would probably have good solid answers.  It isn't true, but it isn't a stupid thing to assume as a new poster. 

He was already thoroughly corrected on the matter in the CharOp thread. You get one correction before I treat you like an idiot when it comes to CS. One.
Sign In to post comments