Rules issues in the Online Compendium and Builder

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

Rules issues in the Online Compendium and Builder

or Why Neither of them are a valid Rules Source

This thread is intended as a collection of incorrect entries in either the online Compendium or Character Builder, as well as the correct versions of the entry. This thread is not intended as a discussion thread on the interpretation of the rules, there's plenty of space elsewhere for that. I'm putting this up as The Collective for obvious reasons, it will be far easier (especially in the initial gathering) for people to be able to add the correction themselves instead of waiting for one person to go through the posts and update it.

Each category in the compendium will have its own section, and we can keep the format simple: Name, Summary of the Error, Correction, Location of the Correct text. If the text is lengthy, put it in sblocks. Since the goal is to have the correct rule, please check the Rules Updates for any errata to the entry as well, and include any changes. ex.

Order Adept: Level 5 feature doesn't limit you to 2nd level powers if you don't have a Spellbook, The level 5 and 10 features now grant power bonuses, and the level 10 feature now grants a +1 power bonus to Will.
Show

Level 5 Feature: You gain a +2 power bonus to Arcana checks. If you have a spellbook, add one 2nd-level wizard utility power to it. If you don’t have a spellbook, you can choose wizard utility powers of a particular level or lower when you gain or retrain utility powers of that level.
Level 10 Feature: You gain a +1 power bonus to Will. Your power bonus to Arcana checks from this theme increases to +4. Dragon 399, Rules Updates.

If something qualifies for multiple entries, like a Paragon Path Power, it's probably best to have it in both places.

For the sake of space, and not violating the ToS by effectively copying the Rules Compendium, I'd like to avoid too many Glossary entries (though it appears they finally have copied those entries from the RC). - Zathris

Backgrounds

Themes

Order Adept: Level 5 feature doesn't limit you to 2nd level powers if you don't have a Spellbook, The level 5 and 10 features now grant power bonuses, and the level 10 feature now grants a +1 power bonus to Will.

Show

Level 5 Feature: You gain a +2 power bonus to Arcana checks. If you have a spellbook, add one 2nd-level wizard utility power to it. If you don’t have a spellbook, you can choose wizard utility powers of a particular level or lower when you gain or retrain utility powers of that level.
Level 10 Feature: You gain a +1 power bonus to Will. Your power bonus to Arcana checks from this theme increases to +4. Dragon 399, Rules Updates.

Races

Classes

Show
Combat Challenge (Fighter class feature) - Listed as a power in the Character Builder, but it is not actually a power.

Paragon Paths

Show
Resurgent Wilder: Volatile Surges only applies to psionic at-will powers - the Character Builder instead mistakenly lists "at-will powers".

Epic Destinies

Feats

Show
Dread of Sakkors (Dragon 381): The effect only applies when you are insubstantial from using Shadow Jaunt, and not from any other source. This is not mentioned in the Compendium/CB. Refrence 1, and Reference 2.

Items

Powers

Show
Blade of Vengeance, Duelist's Prowess, Serpents of Flame, White Well Transformation, Shattered Time: All of these powers have secondary attacks that should be at-wills, not daily powers.

Blessing of the Storm: This power is listed as a attack power instead of a utility power in the Compendium/CB.

Companions and Familiars

Rituals

Poisons

Other

Broken Rules

I know I said "no rules discussions" but there's some things like Academy Master's powers, or the Xaositect Theme power Babble, which are worded in a way that makes absolutely no sense. On the off chance that the collection in this thread might result in someone actually making changes, I think it's worth including such published errors in addition to the Compendium corrections.

This should be enough space, feel free to post or start adding (I've got actual work to do)

+1

Now , could y'all help Congress nego the fiscal cliff ...

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

I'll have to double check this when I get more time, but I think putting a light shield on an Arid Desert Berserker doesn't properly reduce their AC/REF from their Arid Desert feature.  I'll double check.

Also Dbreath for the breather build.  I'll have to remake one to go through the list of what the builder sucks at that, but there are at least 3-4 things wrong with it by the end of paragon. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Master Enchanter's bonus to attacks you force enemies to make is listed as a Power Bonus, it is actually untyped.

Wraithblade, the Critical entry is listed as a Property, which causes it to function incorrectly.

Dread of Sakkor only working when you're Insubstantial from Shadow Jaunt.

Those are all the ones I remember off-hand from when I had a DDI membership. I kind of gave it up in disgust.
Winged shield should apply to your shield def somehow even when not equipped because you can equip something else in that hand and still get the shield bonus. Also for a long time it woudln't even show up in my inventory, I just had to print off the sheet from compendium.

Also if your list of bonuses to attacks is too big it makes the text unreadable on the CB printout

Also Lolth's Fickle Favor, a level 3 alternative reward, on my sheet at level 13 it shows 1 resist poison when it should be 10.
On the CB Dual Implement Caster doesn't properly stack to your damage, in fact, it doesn't even appear on your Dmg breakdown.
Blade of Vengeance Secondary Power Daily should be At-will.

Duelist's Prowess Secondary Power Daily should be At-will.

Serpents of Flame Opportunity Power Daily should be At-will.

White Well Transformation Secondary Power Daily should be At-will.

Shattered Time Opportunity Power Daily should be At-will.

Blessing of the Storm is an Invoker 16th level Daily Utility Power listed as a 16th level Daily Attack Power in the Compemdium and the CB. 

All Leader Multiclass Feat Healing Words Powers (Bardic Dillettante -Majestic Word, Student of Battle - Inspiring Word,Initiate of the Faith - Healing Word, Student of Divine Runes - Rune of Mending, Fervant Talent - Ardent Surge, Student of Artifice -Healing Infusion)  should be Encounter Power usable once per day and not Daily. 

Resurgent Wilder's Volatile Surges Feature  says your At-will Psionic attack Powers can score a Critical Hit on a roll of 18–20 while the CB it just says, "at-will powers."  

Combat Challenge appear in Power format in the OCB when its not a Power.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Duelist's Prowess Secondary Power Daily should be At-will.

As its written, Duelist's Prowess shouldn't even have a secondary power, the attack is contained in the body of the power in Dragon. It also shouldn't have the Weapon keyword.
Is Keen Weapon still listed in the Compendium?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Is Keen Weapon still listed in the Compendium?

No, that is actually gone.
Combat Challenge appear in Power format in the OCB when its not a Power.

That'd be a looooing list if you included everything like that.

Hunter's Quarry
Warlock's Curse
Second Wind

The list really goes on..

Oh, every single Warden daily form. All of them are formatted as if their second part is an encounter power, which would mean you could regain it with encounter regain options. Doesn't work that way.
Feat - Battle Song Expertise

CB is not including the +1 to hit with Bard implement powers when using Songblades or Songbows.  Working with wands.
Ocular Adept level 11 PP feature Spiriteye Manifestation only works for bows and crossbows, iirc, not all ranged weapons.
You guys are kinda missing the point of me having made this as The Collective and outright saying you should "add the correction themselves instead of waiting for one person to go through the posts and update it."
f-
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
You guys are kinda missing the point of me having made this as The Collective and outright saying you should "add the correction themselves instead of waiting for one person to go through the posts and update it."
f-

Personally I saw it as we could talk about it and when we were sure (ie, more than one person said that the rule was borked), then we could log into the collective and post.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
f-

Personally I saw it as we could talk about it and when we were sure (ie, more than one person said that the rule was borked), then we could log into the collective and post.

Also, it probably makes a lot more sense to do it when you're going to log in and do several at once as opposed to one line here or one line there.
I'm just keeping track of the ones I find on my post on the second page. Editing as I go along
Where should something like monk hybrid not having the newer hybrid styles in the character builder go?  Is that classes?

Shaman level 10 call forth the spirit world.  CB and Compendium both list it as a daily.  Dragon says it is an encounter power, but colored it like a daily.  That is probably an error in Dragon, but they have never bothered to fix it so RAW it is an encounter power.
Where should something like monk hybrid not having the newer hybrid styles in the character builder go?  Is that classes?

Shaman level 10 call forth the spirit world.  CB and Compendium both list it as a daily.  Dragon says it is an encounter power, but colored it like a daily.  That is probably an error in Dragon, but they have never bothered to fix it so RAW it is a daily.

Actually in some cases, classes not being able to select newer options is RAW. Some of the feats were phrased generally and some listed specific options, with no ability to take extras. That is something that, stupid as it is, is actually correct in the CB.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or simply some aspect of the CB I haven't figured out, but Ranger abilities that are either Str- or Dex-based (Twin Strike, Attacks on the Run, etc.) default to Dex for the attack bonus calculations.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or simply some aspect of the CB I haven't figured out, but Ranger abilities that are either Str- or Dex-based (Twin Strike, Attacks on the Run, etc.) default to Dex for the attack bonus calculations.

Just want to make sure you realize that the Str or Dex is based on whether you are making a melee or ranged attack. So melee will always use Str and ranged will always use Dex.

I only mention this because I've built a number of melee rangers and never see this problem.  
Problem solved (although I suppose this now qualifies as a new bug).

My character has a Farbond Spellblade in his offhand.  The "ranged" quality makes the CB default the Str-or-Dex powers to Dex for all the powers.
(willimm) I have added Dread of Salkors to the incorrect feat list. Will start handling the other requests shortly.
The character builder lists shocking flame as a bonus to damage rolls on the power cards (it is of course extra damage). So it does not list it on the Brutal Barrage power card.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Not sure where to list this one as it is an oddball. If you have Dwarven Weapon Training and retrain out of it, it removes not just your proficiency with hammers/axes that you gain, but all your proficiencies with hammers/axes.
Monastic Disciple is worded to allow any Flurry of Blows choice, but the CB only allows the ones from PHB 3 and Psi Power.

Monk Unarmed Strike cannot be selected for both your main hand and your off hand in the Equip tab.
Looking for work in IT or Logistics? Willing to relocate to western Michigan? Send me a PM.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Hybrid Paladin's Divine Challenge (Hybrid) still shows that it requires an Immediate Reaction to inflict the punishment, but I believe that PHB3 errata updated the punishment to be a no action with less damage compared to the normal Divine Challenge.