The Knight (Essentials) - Defender Aura

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

I need a bit of clarification about Defender Aura. The text says "an enemy takes a - 2 penalty to attack rolls when it makes an attack that does not include among its targets either you or an ally of your that has this aura active". We interpret that this means you or another knight that has his/her own Defender Aura active, not any ally that enter defender's aura. Is this correct? Same for Battle Guardian, right?

Thanks all!
Enemies within the aura take the penalty and punishment if they make attacks that do not include you or allies of yours who have a Defender Aura.  If the enemy attacks one of your allies, and that attacks doesn't include you, that attack is penalised to hit, and you get to punish the enemy for making it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Well clarified, thank you!
It's you or any ally that has their own Defender Aura, not just any ally that happens to be IN your Defender Aura.

Also keep in mind that Defender Auras DO NOT MARK enemies.  Being Marked and being in a Defender Aura are virtually identical, but they're two different things so game elements that affect Marked enemies do not affect enemies in Defender Auras.  As a matter of fact, if an enemy is Marked, Defender Auras do not apply to them at all - the Mark takes precedence.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”