Question about the character builder

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
It has been a good two years since I was playing DnD with any regularity, at at that time I was still using my offline DDI builder. I kept my DDI sub going, knowing I would come back to it in the meantime, and sure enough this week I found a reason to start playing again.

One of the first things I tried to do, in order to get re familiarized, was to build some characters and see what new races / classes were out there. I was not too surprised by the character creator going online only (despite not being a fan of silverlight). But its the creator itself that has me now scratching my head.

I run and play homebrew games using 4E rules. I also tend to limit my players to PBH1 and 2 content, just to keep things simple. It seems though that it is not possible to create vanilla 4E characters anymore in the character creator. For intance, I tried to make fighter. The only fighter options were all specialties (IE Fighter (Knight)) and these all seemed to be 4E essential characters. I was unable to find any option to make a fighter with the standard powers and feats of a PHB1 fighter.

Am I missing something? Or does the character builder only make essentials characters now?

Am I missing something? Or does the character builder only make essentials characters now?

Never, EVER, make a character using the "New" button.

Use the Custom button, and get all of the options. Using "New" limits you to just the options found in Heroes of the Fallen
Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.