Why No Standalone Character Builder Application?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I bought into 4e when it first came out to begin running it for my daughter.  I opened my Dungeons & Dragons Insider account and downloaded the standalone Character Builder application.  She wasn't really into it at the time and we got busy with other things, but it's been a few years and I've come back to give it another try.

I re-opened my Dungeons & Dragons Insider account to see if there were any updates to the old standalone Character Builder application.  It appears that's been killed in order to force folks to subscribe to this service.  That seems really short-sighted.  Do any of you see hordes of folks fighting over the opportunity to run roleplaying games?  Where I live, if you can find a group to play with, it's like drawing the dreaded short straw if you're the one stuck running the games.

You would think Wizards would do whatever they could to encourage the poor souls stuck running these games by making the applications free.  I still have the old standalone client installed... so I'm fine in that regard.  Will I maintain my account here?  No, not likely... not for the price they're charging.  It really doesn't provide me that level of benefit.

I really don't care for the online version of the new Character Builder, either.
Yes, the offline standalone character builder is dead, because people would buy one month's subscription, and get everything all at once, then not update again for a year.  It was an unworkable business model.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I bought into 4e when it first came out to begin running it for my daughter.  I opened my Dungeons & Dragons Insider account and downloaded the standalone Character Builder application.  She wasn't really into it at the time and we got busy with other things, but it's been a few years and I've come back to give it another try.

I re-opened my Dungeons & Dragons Insider account to see if there were any updates to the old standalone Character Builder application.  It appears that's been killed in order to force folks to subscribe to this service.  That seems really short-sighted.  Do any of you see hordes of folks fighting over the opportunity to run roleplaying games?  Where I live, if you can find a group to play with, it's like drawing the dreaded short straw if you're the one stuck running the games.

You would think Wizards would do whatever they could to encourage the poor souls stuck running these games by making the applications free.  I still have the old standalone client installed... so I'm fine in that regard.  Will I maintain my account here?  No, not likely... not for the price they're charging.  It really doesn't provide me that level of benefit.

I really don't care for the online version of the new Character Builder, either.

where can i get the old version? i have an active ddi subscription but where we play there is no internet...i just got back into playing with some new people and i think we are screwed
Unfortunatly the Offline Character Builder is not available anymore as part of the DDi offering.
The unworkable business model is expecting people to pay $5 to $7 per month for the duration of their interest in playing Dungeons & Dragons.  Ridiculous.  As I said in my original post, they really should be doing whatever they can to make the game easier for people to run.  Giving away a tool for creating and managing characters only makes sense to promote interest in the game.

I'm willing to pay $40 to $60 one time.  I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons since I was 12 years old.  I can remember spending hours creating characters with just dice, paper, and a pencil. 

If they want to attract players from the MMO community, they can't expect them to spend $35 each for three players handbooks, a dungeon master guide, and monster manuals in addition to charging a monthly fee for tools to automate the creation of characters.  

There are hundreds of thousands of MMO players, who clearly have an interest in this genre... they're not going to give tabletop gaming a try if they feel like they're being gouged.  I feel like I'm being gouged.
Sign In to post comments