What mechanics (if any) should we move away from?

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm talking about anything we see with regularity in Magic, whether keyworded or not.

As an example, I think protection and regeneration are more problematic than they are interesting and can be replaced with other mechanics. Regeneration is particularly easy to replace: give those creatures activations that make them indestructible until end of turn. Note that I'm looking for replacements going forward, not retroactive errata going backwards.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I remember reading on a number of occasions that, indeed, Regeneration and Protection are problem children that R&D are working towards 'fixing'.

The biggest problem I have with regen being replaced with Indestructible variants is that it
A) takes up more space
B) doesn't match the flavor

As for protection, it has always INFURIATED me that a pro-black creature can be destroyed, a pro-blue creature can be bounced, but a pro-red creature can survive a thermonuclear holocaust.  
Were it up to me, protection would prevent combat damage, but still allow for non-combat damage.
Were it up to me, protection would read like indestructibility:

If a permanent has protection from {attribute}, effects that have that attribute as a source don't effect it, and sources with that attribute can't target it, block it, or be attached to it.

Outside of those -- I would probably move away from hexproof and back to normal shroud for certain colors (the wedge; I could see white and black hexproof from a flavor/philosophy perspective).

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

What exactly do you feel is red about shroud or hexproof?

I'm not trying to dissuade you, I want to hear the argument. 

What exactly do you feel is red about shroud or hexproof?
I'm not trying to dissuade you, I want to hear the argument.

Sorry, my statement was poorly worded.  I would keep hexproof out of , , and .  I would prefer seeing shroud in those colors, rather than hexproof, which I would see working more philosophically in and .

However, Red still probably wouldn't get either.  I would just be much less inclined to give them hexproof than shroud.

I'm not sure I could make a case for a Red card appearing with shroud.  Probably some kind of Obsidian (or other highly reflective) rock beast -- a common version of the sort wouldn't get shroud but might otherwise dampen a spell targeted at it; an uncommon version might just get shroud, and a rare version might just redirect spells at random.  The cases where Red would get shroud would be few and far between, I think.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Regeneration isn't easy to replace. If it was, they would have done it.

Indestructible has all sort of issues, from needing giant reminder text in commons (I know regeneration needs it, too, but we're trying to solve the problem, right?), to not fitting in flavor with many creatures, especially trolls, to being a lot more powerful because you only need to pay once per turn as opposed to once-per-intention-to-destroy, to even making indestructible things (which are kinda rare now) feel less special.
Given how many new players think that regeneration involves the permanent going to the graveyard then paying to return it to th battlefield, I think that it would probably be best to replace it with something like:
Resurrect [cost]  (When this permanent is destroyed, you may pay [cost].  If you do, return it to the battlefield tapped.)

Anything that is either useless or semi-useful depending on your opponent's deck should go on maybe (and that's a very low maybe) a cycle of uncommons per set, nothing more. Useless in limited, and they're not even One with Nothing, where I can make a janky but interesting deck out of them.

@FirstTurnKill: How is hexproof black? If anything, it's blue. Green sorta fits with camouflage.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The biggest problem I have with regen being replaced with Indestructible variants is that it
A) takes up more space
B) doesn't match the flavor

[COST]: Regenerate [NAME]. (The next time this creature would be destroyed this turn, it isn't. Instead tap it, remove all damage from it, and remove it from combat.) 
[COST]: [NAME] becomes indestructible until end of turn. (Lethal damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy it. If its toughness is 0 or less, it's still put into its owner's graveyard.)

Indestrucitble is about 23 more characters with current reminder text. Arguably, you could remove that "toughness is 0" clause, but even so, the increase isn't enormous (though it is bigger when neither requires reminder text, so there's that). It doesn't seem significant enough to be problematic.

As for the flavor, I can see the argument for it taking a hit, but I'd also argue that there's a huge flavor problem with it already, and that this flavor  is one of the things causing misplays. "Regenerate" gives the impression of doing something after an event has happened, which we all know isn't how regenerate works.

Skeletons and trolls probably take the biggest flavor hit. My first instinct would be to do a public test to see how it feels to players. If people dislike the feel, my instinct would be to find new creature types to fill those roles and reimagine what trolls and skeletons might do otherwise.

Regeneration isn't easy to replace. If it was, they would have done it.

Indestructible has all sort of issues, from needing giant reminder text in commons (I know regeneration needs it, too, but we're trying to solve the problem, right?), to not fitting in flavor with many creatures, especially trolls, to being a lot more powerful because you only need to pay once per turn as opposed to once-per-intention-to-destroy, to even making indestructible things (which are kinda rare now) feel less special.

The reminder text is actually smaller. It's not the reminder next that confuses people, anyway. Really, its the name "regenerate" that causes the problem. If it had a name like "prevent", that'd solve one of its bigger problems.

It is more powerful, but not enormously so. It has the following advantages: the creature remains in combat, so it can trump things like first strike; it survives sorcery speed removal better than regenerate (as in, it can take lethal damage in combat and survive Day of Judgment after; instant speed removal affects both regerenate and indestructible activations equally). Other than that, the two play quite similarly.

The real solution might just be replacing regenerate with a cleaner version of it, like they did with fear (though I think the "artifact creature" clause still stands out awkwardly on intimidate). 
@FirstTurnKill: How is hexproof black? If anything, it's blue. Green sorta fits with camouflage.

It's fundamentally selfish.

And black, the master of curses and hexes in the first place, I would think should have some immunity to its own capability.

I don't see how it's blue.  I do not see how Blue manages to build a barrier around itself that protects it from other wizards but not themselves.  I could see Blue hand-waving an ability to protect from certain kinds of sources, like "can't be the target of Green sources," but that's about as far as I can see from a philosophical standpoint.  How does Blue manage to distinguish the characteristic of a specific planeswalker from others?  That seems too metaphysical for Blue to pull off.

Green, I would imagine, would be either all or nothing.  Why is Green able to block magic in a discriminatory manner?  How is that a characteristic that has managed to evolve organically?

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This

I'd disagree. Well, sorta. There's a difference between "selfish" and "introverted". Hexproof seems more about wanting to be left alone, which I think green and blue represent well: green with its "don't disturb nature" mindset, blue with its "don't disturb my studies" mindset. The other three colors don't have a "leave alone" attitude that I can see.

That said, I could imagine black getting occasional hexproof, but only in rare cases. 

I'd disagree. Well, sorta. There's a difference between "selfish" and "introverted". Hexproof seems more about wanting to be left alone

But...doesn't that idea better fit Shroud?

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This

I'd disagree. Well, sorta. There's a difference between "selfish" and "introverted". Hexproof seems more about wanting to be left alone

I don't see the two as being different in flavor, really. Are you saying that shroud depicts a creature that wants to leave itself alone?
It is more powerful, but not enormously so. It has the following advantages: the creature remains in combat, so it can trump things like first strike; it survives sorcery speed removal better than regenerate (as in, it can take lethal damage in combat and survive Day of Judgment after; instant speed removal affects both regerenate and indestructible activations equally). Other than that, the two play quite similarly.

I don't mind some keywords randomly becoming better (like lifelink which can be swingy because it takes into account any damage) in favor of being clearer to understand, but in Limited where regeneration matters a lot more, I don't know if you want yet another mechanic that makes the creature annoyingly resilient to removal. As in, "I have two Flame Slash and I can't still kill this guy because he can activate it once.". It will feel hexproof-y, and I'm sure enough people already hate that.

As it is now, at least you can catch the creature after its regeneration shield faded through combat, or use two sorcery removals, because paying twice is a lot more.
Hexproof seems more about wanting to be left alone

I don't see the two as being different in flavor, really. Are you saying that shroud depicts a creature that wants to leave itself alone?

I just mean, if Hexproof is representative of a creature that wants to be left alone, it's not doing a very good job at it, because it specifically won't be left alone by *you* nor anything else you control.  Any creature with shroud that has an ability that is intended to effect itself doesn't need to use "target" anyways.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
I loathe hexproof. It is awful. Invisible Stalker is a miserable card to play with, and against. At least shroud, while good, was fair and it presented a dilemma for the player, while hexproof is just all dumb upside.

If reverting back to shroud is not going to happen, I'd like hexproof to become something like Autumn Willow's version of shroud. It could be worded even better, making it so that when you remove the hexproof, it becomes targetable by everyone. That way you can still slap an aura on your dude, but in order to do so it becomes temporarily vulnerable.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Hexproof seems more about wanting to be left alone

I just mean, if Hexproof is representative of a creature that wants to be left alone, it's not doing a very good job at it, because it specifically won't be left alone by *you* nor anything else you control.  Any creature with shroud that has an ability that is intended to effect itself doesn't need to use "target" anyways.

Well, with hexproof specifically, they just want to be left alone from those things that would hex them. Which you aren't likely to do. Any introvert will tell you that while they revere their privacy and loneliness, they still need necessary interaction. I still like shroud better in this regard, but hexproof isn't all that different. "You" were never the problem.

I loathe hexproof. It is awful. Invisible Stalker is a miserable card to play with, and against. At least shroud, while good, was fair and it presented a dilemma for the player, while hexproof is just all dumb upside.

If reverting back to shroud is not going to happen, I'd like hexproof to become something like Autumn Willow's version of shroud. It could be worded even better, making it so that when you remove the hexproof, it becomes targetable by everyone. That way you can still slap an aura on your dude, but in order to do so it becomes temporarily vulnerable.

Hexproof was fine until recently. Troll Ascetic is tough to kill and annoying as hell, but you can just put a bigger creature in its way. Also, its green, so that makes it easier to interact with than Geist of Saint Traft. But I agree: save hexproof for the big, silly creatures it used to be on. And make it a subset of shroud, like "Hexshroud".
Hexproof was fine until recently. Troll Ascetic is tough to kill and annoying as hell, but you can just put a bigger creature in its way. Also, its green, so that makes it easier to interact with than Geist of Saint Traft. But I agree: save hexproof for the big, silly creatures it used to be on. And make it a subset of shroud, like "Hexshroud".

The biggest problem are cards like Lord of the Unreal and Invisible Stalker. The first grants everything hexproof, thus negating the downside (unless you're stupid enough to build an equipment deck around illusions). The second can't be answered easily. If you have another creature out, edicting isn't an option; Invisible Stalker's controller will always choose the other one. You can't block it ever. Seriously.

I'd also like to see less landwalk. It's just an excuse for making a card too expensive.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Islandhome. We've moved pretty far from it, but not far enough.

Landwalk. Too swingy, like a Threshold mechanic.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

See, Troll Ascetic is fine. But Invisible Stalker, Geist of Saint Traft and Sigarda, Host of Herons are not. I actually find Sigarda very offensive. My first reaction upon seeing her was "are you sure you just want it to be flying and not unblockable? I mean, I can still almost interact with her."

I honestly just want shroud back. Or maybe my version of Autumn Willow shroud that gets turned off by all players, does anyone like this idea?

(unless you're stupid enough to build an equipment deck around illusions).

Ahhhh, I remember the first time I tried to equip something to a Phantasmal Bear... so embarrassing !

192884403 wrote:
See, Troll Ascetic is fine. But Invisible Stalker, Geist of Saint Traft and Sigarda, Host of Herons are not. I actually find Sigarda very offensive. My first reaction upon seeing her was "are you sure you just want it to be flying and not unblockable? I mean, I can still almost interact with her."

Sigarda isn't so bad. I don't mind this type of thing at five mana; if I'm playing white, black, or red, I have a sweeper at that point, and if I'm playing blue, I'm a total idiot for not leaving mana open to counter her. So basically only monogreen has a problem. But at 2-3 mana, you have to be careful giving out hexproof willy-nilly.
139359831 wrote:
So basically only monogreen has a problem.

Not really.
Landwalk. Too swingy, like a Threshold mechanic.

Ya, landwalk is very bland. I don't think it's that mechanically problematic, but it's not that interesting either. I made a different version for Imidazoline's contest during a replacement round:

Familiarity (This creature can't be blocked as long as you control a permanent with the same name as a permanent the defending player controls.)

This way, you still get your primary landwalk (self-landwalk, that is), but get other versions as well. It also creates more deck building decisions and opens some play interactions.
and if I'm playing blue, I'm a total idiot for not leaving mana open to counter her.

Hello!

192884403 wrote:

I honestly just want shroud back. Or maybe my version of Autumn Willow shroud that gets turned off by all players, does anyone like this idea?

I do indeed like this idea. I feel very similarly to you about hexproof. I really disliked it on Plated Slagwurm back in the day, but now I yearn for those days when only green got hexproof, and the worst it could do was grant trample, rather than blue granting every other evasion ability under the sun.

Alternatively, we need way, way more cards that say "Creatures your opponents control lose hexproof [UEOT]". Like about one per set.

Protection is one of the things rules Q&A gets the most questions about. I'd be happy to see it go.

It's really just 4 unrelated abilities glued together.

I'd also like to see mythic rares gone. They've done nothing good for the game.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Protection is one of the things rules Q&A gets the most questions about. I'd be happy to see it go.

It's really just 4 unrelated abilities glued together.

They've brought the general cost of rares down. When mythics are the bread-and-butter of competitive, though, it makes everything sad for everyone. That's not really a design issue, at least, not a mechanical one.
Protection should be treated with much more caution. Two colour protection, as in the last Mirrodin block, is too much to handle. One colour protection on the adequate card is enough.
Infection was a horrible mechanic, as it had the issues of leading to only 10 damage for a win (which lead to playing a few hard to block infect creatures with loads of cheap boosts, in the wrong colours), and not providing correct solutions to heal oneself. White and red double-strike are sufficient, there was no need for infect on top of it.
Hexproof. It's alright in small doses but overall too DERPSWING for my tastes. Bring back shroud, make us work for itrather than churning out blank pieces of cardboard with "HEY STUPID SLAP AN AURA ON ME!"
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.

They've brought the general cost of rares down. When mythics are the bread-and-butter of competitive, though, it makes everything sad for everyone.

They have not, actually. Before mythics, you almost never saw a rare worth more than $20, and most of those were only $20 if they were foil. Today, rares (not mythics) are worth up to $35. Mythics had nothing to do with that though. The increase in card prices is due to Wizards power creeping the hell out of the game.

It's pretty clear that mythics were just a money-grab for WotC. Integrity? Who needs that!?!? 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

They've brought the general cost of rares down. When mythics are the bread-and-butter of competitive, though, it makes everything sad for everyone.

They have not, actually. Before mythics, you almost never saw a rare worth more than $20, and most of those were only $20 if they were foil. Today, rares (not mythics) are worth up to $35. Mythics had nothing to do with that though. The increase in card prices is due to Wizards power creeping the hell out of the game.

It's pretty clear that mythics were just a money-grab for WotC. Integrity? Who needs that!?!? 

No, it's due to people being WILLING to pay $35 for a chase rare. Supply and demand. Also, it has to do with the secondary market trying to inflate quickly and deflate at a sluggish pace. Power creep is a mostly ficticious phenomena- Like when people claim that doughnuts are a baker's machination to sell people 1/4th less of a pastry, when the hole actually exists because that portion of the doughnut would be terribly undercooked. When you look for something to be wrong, you'll find correlation to justify your opinion- even if it's only correlation.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
When talking about the price of rares, let's not forget inflation.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Inb4 flying hate.

What about a creature being able to fly makes it more vulnerable to green magic is beyond me.  As soon as a creature starts flying 1 inch off the ground it can get targeted by green destruction spells.  Just don't get it.

Since green is an ally color of red I'd much rather see green get overcosted burn spells.  

I also don't see what is with the anti-regeneration camp.  I like the fact there are creatures whose bodies can reassemble and repair themselves.  If Wolverine from Marvel Comics was a creature he would have regeneration.  He's not indestructible though; you can kill him with enough raw damage.

When you play that Troll Asetic, Mortivore, or Spiritmonger keeping that regneration mana upon is crucial.  For burn players it becomes a waiting game to build up enough burn to wipe out a regenerator.  Perhaps the arugment is focused on wording?

As for protection the confusion came when I first started playing.  It was because all the rules weren't clearly stated.  The only thing that doesn't make sense about it to me is blocking.  A red creature not being able to block a pro red creature.  Our blockers do just that - stand in the way of attacking creatures and block.  Not being able to block protection creatures implies a sort of mental control and I don't like it. 
lihimsidhe.com
Hexproof, at least in its current form. It's especially obnoxious since removal is getting toned down in limited, so we have to deal with both overpriced removal and creatures we can't remove at all.

Regeneration is one of those mechanics that's just... Yeaugh. Definitely one of the most complex for newbies to understand. And it's very counter-intuitive that you pay the mana before the creature is damaged.

Mechanically, Hexproof really does not fit with Blue. Here's why.

Blue is supposed to be the color least focused on creatures. This translates to less efficient creatures, but it also translates to a different game plan in comparison to, say, White and Green. White and Green love creatures, and so they love to buff creatures with auras (Majority White and Green), pump spells (Majority green), and equipment (Most interaction with White). Blue, however, doesn't like creatures. Therefore, a mechanic that encourages you to win by putting all your effort into supporting your creatures (Hexproof) just plain doesn't gel with Blue. This is the same reason why Green shouldn't get spells like direct damage that don't involve creatures; it conflicts with the core identity of Green as the creature color to have non-creature ways of doing things.

Hexproof encourages you to buff up your creatures and ride them to victory. That's doesn't feel Blue or Red, that feels White and Green.

Shroud, on the other hand, is perfectly Blue. It doesn't just stop your opponent's interaction with your creatures, it stops your own. So instead of putting all your eggs in on creature-shaped basket, Shroud encourages you to keep your spells distanced from your creatures.

My solution would be to bring back Shroud and remove Hexproof for everything but a select few Green creatures. Shroud mechanically fits Blue better (Plus, hexproof as a name doesn't make much sense for Blue; White and Green, maybe, but Shroud is much better for Blue), and Green can easily fit both, with Shroud being given to those with extra evasion and resiliency and Hexproof being given to others without. White just needs to stop being so goshdarn greedy with its color pie. >:[
I was more thinking an anti-magic aura of some sort would be a blue thing. "Counter target spell that targets a creature." and "Target creature gains shroud until EOT." are practically the same thing phrased two different ways, after all.
139359831 wrote:
I was more thinking an anti-magic aura of some sort would be a blue thing. "Counter target spell that targets a creature." and "Target creature gains shroud until EOT." are practically the same thing phrased two different ways, after all.

Both of those are perfectly Blue (Provided the Shroud source isn't repeatable).

Blue should get Shroud, instant speed one-use shroud (Tortoise Formation), two-sided Frost Titan-style defense, redirection, and directly countering spells that target its creatures. All of those protect creatures, but they do not do so in a way that encourages you to win by buffing up creatures. One-shot instant speed shroud and target redirection also fit Blue's "sneakiness" that its present in its counterspells.

Blue should not get Hexproof, repeatable temporary Shroud or Hexproof, or one-sided Frost Titan-style defense. Blue is supposed to be the color that cares about creatures the least (with Red in a close second). Giving it abilities that encourage you to toss a bunch of auras and equipment on a creature and go to town with it is not Blue.
I like FireballMage's take here. (Although it's hard to tell whether I just like it because it's an argument against blue hexproof.)
I like FireballMage's take here. (Although it's hard to tell whether I just like it because it's an argument against blue hexproof.)

Blue's had the two most broken hexproof cards. The problem is the cards themselves, of course.

(Though I will say, if Lord of the Unreal referred to elves, we'd possibly be having this conversation about green. At least green doesn't get unblockable though; Typhoid Rats answers nearly any green creature in the game.)
139359831 wrote:
Blue is the colour of counter-magic, so hexproof definitely fits thematically. Shroud is absolute protection, and so it's more white; white deals in absolutes, such as destroying all creatures, exiling rather than killing, silencing effects that prevent all spellcasts, etc. It's not about whether or not hexproof is selfish, but more the fact that blue is the colour with the deepest knowledge of magic, and it knows how to stop you from targeting its creatures, whilst maximising its own ability. No other colour has that, though green gets camouflage, so thematically there's also a tenuous link there.

On a similar note, I don't understand the hate against counterspells, since they function exactly the same as removal, only within a different time frame. The problem is not the mechanic itself, but that the people playing against it perceive it differently to other forms of removal. In fact, I get the impression that a lot of players just don't understand blue in general, because its functions are so unique among the five colours. It results in a lot of people slinging 'facts' around about how blue is the strongest colour, when really, it's just very, very different.

The time frame is another issue; a counter's window is much more narrow than removal. That's why Vindicate's so good in Legacy but Cancel never sees play in any constructed format.

Now, if your opponent casts Mana Drain into 20-point Fireball, then yes, that counter is busted.
139359831 wrote: