Modern Deck suggestion for a returning player?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Originally I was going to try my hand at Standard but it appears nobody in my area has a standard deck! They are all playing Modern! So I'm looking for a deck suggestion for a returning player (played 3rd edition to Ice Age and came back about a month ago). I'm looking for a deck that isn't to complex to play and will hopefully cost less than $100 to put together. I enjoy control, burn decks and also decks with lots of small cheap creatures (not sure what this would be called). Any input would be great!

Thanks!
Bump?
I have no experence in modern but the lots of small cheap creatures are agro and those conpetative one are mostly either zoo or anfinity if you wish to look them up. They can be very expensive
Control is hard to run due to no early game controling power
Burn is the cheapest of the competative decks from what I have heard

Please note this is pretty much all 2nd hand info because I have not tried modern but I am going to when a store near me does next month
It's not particularly competitive, it just doesn't entirely fail and it's cheap.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
It's not particularly competitive, it just doesn't entirely fail and it's cheap.

Is there another option thats a wee bit more competitive/expensive?
Maybe what I should really ask is there a deck I can get my feet wet with (casual games @FNM etc.) that won't cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars? I'm not going to jump right into a tourney.
Looked at a few Zoo deck lists and most have a full playset of tarmogoyf that's well over $400 in itself lol.
Is modern not as popular here as standard or EDH? What's a guy got to do to get some love?!?
The propblem with Modern is $100 might not be enough for a deck that will be able to fight back. Land bases are pretty expensive and Modern decks are all highly efficient at what they do.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Crap, might have to up the budget a bit and assemble my deck over time.
200 gets the ball rolling. Playing a deck with black, green or blue that isn't absurdly linear means staples, etc.

Mind you, I feel your pain. Similar things going on here.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
If your good at drafting you can draft and sell the cards perhaps
I have no idea if this is a good money maker
But I drafted last week and got 30$ in cards got first and won 6 packs sooo it can be. Also trading standard for modern might help you come out ahead as Standard cards are generally worth more then they should be due to being standard

Note: I play mostly casual and am new to the comepative scene so make sure to check what I say
I just made my first modern deck about a month ago and it was Red Deck Wins.  I am working towards making it Boros becauseI already like the looks of the deck and the expeniseve card base is similiar, the lands.  I have managed to trade for 3 arid mesas so far.  A firend lets me borrow a bunch of lands for tournaments till I get my playset of them together.  I took my traders and went into my local store and told the owner what deck I was making, and she helped me go through all the binders to get out what I needed, and we traded for the majority of the cards.  I was able to play a moderfn tournie two weeks later with some borrowed fetch lands, and learned a lot about the format in an afternoon.
The other cheap deck, other than the lands is U/R Storm.  In my area it prices out at about $55 for the spells,  your land base is anoher story. 
Yeah, the lands... Ugh.. I got a playset of the batch of shocks in RtR, but fetches. Ugh.

Does storm in your area not run snappy? I hadn't realized folks were going non-ascension with storm.
76783093 wrote:
Note: I can't edit because mobile devices, etc.

Edit: Well stab my eyes. Apparently we're doing it wrong. And here I was thinking turning any two-of into an active ascension, speedbumping aggro or using the 'profit' from a ritual was worth it. I suppose just all in on past in flames is better. I proudly maintain that past with no ascention is madness. It lets you durdle more without gutting your potential count for storm.
76783093 wrote:
The two storm decks I have seen were completely creatureless. One beat me on turn 4 though. Thedeck is insane the way it works. It was funny to watch an eggs deck and a storm deck play a game, because starting on turn 2 each players turn was at least 10 minutes because of all the little cantrip type spells they were casting to get their win con.
Snappy is just there for the flashback if he's there. But yeah, depending on the build it's 6 mana says 'I win'
76783093 wrote:
Yeah, watching those two play a game gave me a headache.
I tried snappy in storm but I still prefer ascension with goblin electromancer as my only critter. He makes manamorphose a ramp spell that draws a card which is fantastic when ascension is online
I haven't done the testing myself, but working with a buddy it was about getting ascension online that made use like snappy. If ascensiin is on... Well, everything is already amazing. Snappy means that a second copy of anything equals an active ascension.

If you've got it online the manamorph is already ramp+draw
76783093 wrote:
Sign In to post comments