Quick Question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I declared attackers with my Angel of Serenity and after blockers are declared my opponent played Midnight Haunting and I said after that effect resolves I'll play Cloudshift on my angel, to exile his tokens before he declares blockers, he said I cant because I already passed priority and will have to do it after he declares blockers, is this true?
if he casts Midnight Haunting after blockers are declared he cannot block with those tokens

he has to do that after attackers are declared at the latest
you do get priority after that resolves and before the game moves on to declare blockers

also in case you aren't aware Cloudshifting an attacker will remove it from combat
proud member of the 2011 community team
If he's already declared blockers, and THEN plays midnight haunting, he can't block with the tokens anyway

If he casts midnight haunting before, he can block with the tokens. However, after the spell resolves and the tokens hit the battlefield, he will retain priority since his effect was the last that resolves. Before the step can progress, he must pass priority back to you.

Basically all you have to remember is that the steps cannot progress to the next step until all players have consecutively passed priority.
Basically all you have to remember is that the steps cannot progress to the next step until all players have consecutively passed priority.

on an empty stack

on an empty stack

I think I failed to explain the situation clearly which I apologize for.  I also had a Geist of St. Taft attacking as well and he wanted to use Midnight Haunting to block the other two and I wanted to Cloudshift my Angel of Serenity after he used Midnight Haunting to exile them before he blocked my creatures.
yes, that works
the timing is off, but it can be allowed under tournament rules as out of order sequencing

let's break it down how to do it correctly

declare attacker step
you declare attackers: Angel of Serenity and Geist of Saint Traft
this triggers the Geist and you as Active Player get priority

after you pass that priority, your opponent can wait until the trigger creating the Angel resolved or he can cast Midnight Haunting right now
either way, assuming no response from you to that he gets 2 Spirit tokens

you get priority again, the stack is now empty, this is your last chance to cast Cloudshift before the game moves on
if you do it now you can exile his 2 tokens, if you pass this priority and your opponent also passes the game moves on to the declare blocker step
If he casts midnight haunting before, he can block with the tokens. However, after the spell resolves and the tokens hit the battlefield, he will retain priority since his effect was the last that resolves. Before the step can progress, he must pass priority back to you..

Incorrect. It is the active player (the one whose turn it is) who gets priority first after an object on the stack resolved. You may be confusing this with something else: After a spell gets cast or an ability gets activated, in essence, after it is put on the stack, the player who did so gets priority afterwards.
Sign In to post comments