Incendiary Dagger vs. Ashen Rod

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I was making up a "Sorcerer(Elementalist)" Tiefling specializing in fire for lvl12, basically just to see how high I could stack up at-will fire damage. 

The one thing that wasn't obvious to me was whether to use Incendiary Dagger or Ashen Rod.  I like the +1 shield bonus that comes with Rod expertise, but am not sure if there's a way to get proficiency with rod implements without a (mostly useless) warlock multiclass. 

So:
1.) Incendiary Dagger gets all these melee and ranged weapon type enchant options instead of implement ones.  Can I still use a power that triggers on "you his with this weapon" if I'm using it as an implement for arcane ranged/area attacks?  Does something like Rebounding Weapon work on a dagger implement or only if I actually throw the thing?

If I do go with the Rods:
2.) Any way to get proficient with rods without spending a feat just for that?
3.) If I have to spend a feat, any better feats than a warlock multiclass to get a rod implement (it also gives skill training and Hellish Rebuke as an encounter)?
4.) If I have to be a warlock, any way I can put a warlock multi-class to good use? I like the Tiefling PPs better than any warlock ones, and I was disapointed that it didn't seem to open up any good fire-themed feats. 

5.) What are the best enchants for each implement option (rod and dagger)? 

There's a theme with rod proficiency, but Incendiary Dagger is the way to go.

Look for an Incendiary Dagger of Speed.  Rare enchantment, but you get an inititative bonus, and a 1/encounter RBA with the dagger.  That's equivalent to an Epic tier feat, from level 5 up.

And you can look for some dagger with a useful enchantment to offhand.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Incendiary Dagger also gets dragonshards.

1) an attack with the weapon means any attack with the item in question

2) primordial adept theme

dagger
Weapon of speed
defensive stuff like rhythm blade dagger, shielding blade dagger
Flaming Weapon or spellsoul blade if you have untyped spells you want to use, there are around two of them, right?

rod
for a non warlock fire mage?
Torch of Misery
Mostly useless?  Hellbringer is why you MC warlock, isn't it?  I think that might be reason enough...

EDIT:  Also, only have to raise one other stat (Int) to get crit range. 
Mostly useless?  Hellbringer is why you MC warlock, isn't it?  I think that might be reason enough...

EDIT:  Also, only have to raise one other stat (Int) to get crit range. 

Crit range is largely useless unless you get other things that proc on crits (Dominate, extra attacks, etc.). It is worth less then Focus in terms of straight damage.
For an Elementalist, the expanded crit range is worthwhile in Epic when you can grab Ruthless Spellfury.  But Elementalist stats line up horrible for Sorcerer implement expertise, they do match Warlock implement expertise nicely though.

For Paragon Paths, consider:
Lyrandar Wind-Rider and Arcane Admixture on your Elemental bolt.  2 feats and your PP for a +1 to hit, and applying your secondary to damage.
Crimson Hunter.  1 feat (your MC slot, though) for a +1 to hit, and an expanded critical range at 16.
If your DM houserules/handwaves Academy Master into a functional state, then it is also a pretty good choice for an Elementalist.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
There's a theme with rod proficiency, but Incendiary Dagger is the way to go.

Look for an Incendiary Dagger of Speed.  Rare enchantment, but you get an inititative bonus, and a 1/encounter RBA with the dagger.  That's equivalent to an Epic tier feat, from level 5 up.

And you can look for some dagger with a useful enchantment to offhand.

You mean "A Useful Enchant to main-hand"
"I hold this for an Initiative bonus and an Encounter power" is the definition of an off-hand golfbag item.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I think a Subtle Incendiary Dagger would be a good main-hand weapon. Provided you have a source of CA (Cunning Stalker etc) then the item bonus to damage is awesome.
Weapon of Speed allows a RBA with that weapon, and the initiative bonus is equal to the enhancement bonus.  Worth keeping it up to date on enchantment, so might as well main hand it.

I would personally prefer Bracers of the Perfect Shot over the Subtle dagger for the item damage bonus, as it is always on.

Some other possibilities:
A +1 Shielding Dagger in the offhand is hard to beat for cost/benefit, since you have no shield bonus to boost via Rhythm Blade.
Wyrmtooth has a daily to ignore resistances, but not immunities.
Elemental Twist has a daily to remove resistance/immunity from one target.

Bargle wrote:

Zelink wrote:
Weapon of Speed allows a RBA with that weapon, and the initiative bonus is equal to the enhancement bonus.  Worth keeping it up to date on enchantment, so might as well main hand it.

I would personally prefer Bracers of the Perfect Shot over the Subtle dagger for the item damage bonus, as it is always on.

Some other possibilities:
A +1 Shielding Dagger in the offhand is hard to beat for cost/benefit, since you have no shield bonus to boost via Rhythm Blade.
Wyrmtooth has a daily to ignore resistances, but not immunities.
Elemental Twist has a daily to remove resistance/immunity from one target.

Ah right I forgot he's making an elementalist.

For Paragon Paths, consider:
Lyrandar Wind-Rider and Arcane Admixture on your Elemental bolt.  2 feats and your PP for a +1 to hit, and applying your secondary to damage.
Crimson Hunter.  1 feat (your MC slot, though) for a +1 to hit, and an expanded critical range at 16.
If your DM houserules/handwaves Academy Master into a functional state, then it is also a pretty good choice for an Elementalist.

The other issue with Crimson Hunter is that it requires multiclassing Seeker, when Wisdom is the best ability to tank- it stacks on defense with Charisma.  You'd have to start with a 12 in WIS to take it as a PP, when you can just as well start with an 8 otherwise.

Depending on how you do the build, Essence Mage comes into play- Arcane Admixture on the Elemental Bolt is already a nice way to bypass resistances, so you'll get the extra 1d6 on it, and the Action Point feature means that you're pretty unlikely to miss during that round.  Make sure to take the AP before doing anything else, though.  You can take cold damage and build in permafrost, either with Lasting Frost or with Arcane Fire.

As for Weapon of Speed- you should keep it up to date, but you're likely to take Dual Implement Spellcaster anyways, so you might want to keep it in the off-hand.  You might want to consider something low in each tier (like Wyrmtooth, 2+) rather than something high (like Elemental Twist, 5+), so you can potentially get the upgrade earlier.  Once you hit Paragon, Melegaunt's Dark Blade and Jagged Weapon are both worthwhile looking at, especially if you have AA or something else to help ignore resistances/immunities.

One other trick- keep in mind that Ignition, while an Arcane fire attack, doesn't actually do fire damage. The same is true of Blazing Starfall, which you can take at 9 (radiant damage).  That's potentially useful when dealing with fire resistant/immune enemies.
Can't believe we all forgot to mention Dragonshords working with Weapliments only. That is +1/3/5 damage on a class that primarily cares about stacking statics.
Can't believe we all forgot to mention Dragonshords working with Weapliments only. That is +1/3/5 damage on a class that primarily cares about stacking statics.

Masa mentioned it in the third post.
Sign In to post comments