Splash Damage Noob Question

Hello,

I am confused about Splash damage. My doubt is: when you have a 2, or 3, or 4-square splash radius, everything contained in that radius is considered primary target? And everything adjacent to any square of the radius is secondary and subject to splash damage?

Thank you!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Unlike many "area attacks" something that deals splash damage actually does have a primary target.  If you shoot a weapon with splash damage at a medium sized character you're shooting it AT that character and the radius will be based off the target.  The splash occures based on the original target.

If you shoot a stormtrooper with a Blaster canon the trooper takes full damge if you hit his REF, half if you miss his REF but still hit REF 10(this should be in the errata), and none if you completely miss.  For the trooper standing next to your primary target you deal half damage to it if your attack roll would hit his REF and none if that misses. 
Everything StevenO said looks correct to me, but let me explain further:

When you have 2 or more squares of splash radius, everything contained in that radius is considered secondary targets taking half damage on a hit. The only one that can take full damag is the primary target, that you were shooting at in the first place. Everything in the radius around that target are targets of splash damage.

20801.jpg

Thank you both. My confusion was that the rules said "adjacent to the primary target" but it seems that secondary targets include everything in the splash radius, adjacent or not to the primary target. Is that correct?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Thank you both. My confusion was that the rules said "adjacent to the primary target" but it seems that secondary targets include everything in the splash radius, adjacent or not to the primary target. Is that correct?

Yes that’s correct. I think the reason the book says “adjacent” is because all the splash weapons in the Core Rulebook are 1-sq splash, so the secondary splash damage would only affect adjacent targets. The higher splash weapons came out in later books, such as Threats of the Galaxy's Lt Concussion Missile Launcher (2-sq splash) and Galaxy at War's mines.

Here’s a diagram that might help.

Splash damage:

The red square is no splash. Blue squares are 1 square splash. X Splash means you have a circle with radius X. That means the green squares are radius 2, the yellow squares are radius 3, and the purple squares are radius 4.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Ritcherbelmont's diagrams work well for medium and huge creatures (although you may need to fill in some more corners with a huge) but for a large creature the splash radius would look something like the burst diagrams.

Ritcherbelmont's diagrams work well for medium and huge creatures (although you may need to fill in some more corners with a huge) but for a large creature the splash radius would look something like the burst diagrams.

I think if a target of a splash weapon is Large, then a 1-sq splash radius would be all squares adjacent to the Large target. A 2-sq splash radius would be all squares 2sq from the Large target. Same principle applies for Huge and targer targets.

PS: I was incorrect in stating that all weapons in the Core Rulebook have 1-sq splash since I overlooked the vehicles and starships which have weapons that deal 2-sq splash and 4-sq splash radius.

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

That's where "filling in the corners" comes in on the templates made for medium sized creatures.

I certainly don't blame you for "missing" the 2 and 4 square splash radius entries.  They're there but not something we normally think about. 

I think if a target of a splash weapon is Large, then a 1-sq splash radius would be all squares adjacent to the Large target. A 2-sq splash radius would be all squares 2sq from the Large target. Same principle applies for Huge and targer targets.

PS: I was incorrect in stating that all weapons in the Core Rulebook have 1-sq splash since I overlooked the vehicles and starships which have weapons that deal 2-sq splash and 4-sq splash radius.

With great respect, I completely disagree. Throwing a grenade at a Gen'Dai doesn't make the explosion bigger than it would've been if you'd thrown it at a Jawa, so why make the splash area increase? I know there might be some game balance issues there but I really don't care, I'm a fan of logic.
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]

With great respect, I completely disagree. Throwing a grenade at a Gen'Dai doesn't make the explosion bigger than it would've been if you'd thrown it at a Jawa, so why make the splash area increase? I know there might be some game balance issues there but I really don't care, I'm a fan of logic.

Logically, I agree with you but that is not how the rules work.  Area attacks have a fixed area but splash weapons have a target and the "splash" is determined base on the target's surroundings.  If you toss a grenade that includes the Gen'Dai in its area all you need to do is put on square of the burst on top of the creature's area while most of the rest of the burst is somewhere else; with a splash weapon the attack MUST be centered on the target and then the splash is based on it.

I understand that it makes little sense. Why is the splash bigger when hitting a larger target? But that's how it works in the rules.

*sigh* You make me sad Saga...
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
So if you throw a grenade at a ship, it's explosion is the size of the ship plus one square radius?  That's kind of ridiculous...
192523575 wrote:
-In loving memory of all the Squirrel Jedi hunted down during the Dark Times.
"any eye for an eye leaves the world blind" "No it doesn't, there'd be one guy left with one eye" my custom miniatures http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/29829771/ChainmailJedis_customs
So if you throw a grenade at a ship, it's explosion is the size of the ship plus one square radius?  That's kind of ridiculous...

Illogical but the RAW.  If you wanted to houserule rule it I can't stop you (and if you're talking about splashing off of a colossal (cruiser) sized ship I'll even agree) but if you stick to huge targets or smaller this really shouldn't be much of an issue.

No, a grenade is not a splash weapon. It's a burst weapon. It would affect the normal amount of squares. But a splash weapon like a blaster canon would work as you describe.

Anyway, most of the time when you're firing at a ship, it's in the air and there are no targets adjacent to it. Most of the time this isn't an issue. Sure, you can fire a splash weapon at a huge crate and try to hit all adjancent targets in the secondary blast. But then the enemies will know you have a powerful splash weapon and be sure not to stand next to anything that will explode.

Sign In to post comments