Aspiring Artist for MTG - Winter Knight

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there everyone, Im back here with another piece of mine for critiques and suggestions . I am a late bloomer artist who is badly hoping to be a part of MTG illustrators environment some day. Im still honing my skills in drawing and Ill be glad to hear some inspiring thoughts from you guys. ^^

best
-mon-

Nice work. I like your color choices here quite a bit, and as I back away from the computer the image remains readable and striking, so it should look good at card size. It looks a bit... hm, science fictiony somehow, but that's not a problem necessarily depending on the setting. My only problem is that the gazing direction and the lack of a strong element on the left side leads my eye off the page. It might work to just pull the entire figure leftward and turn his gaze rightward. Does that make any sense? You just have a nice flow on that right side but I feel like it's getting lost because of that big blank space on the left and the way the character is looking out at that empty space.

But yeah, really liking the yellows and blues/blue-violets in this piece. You've got a good sense of light and dark as well.

Incidentally, since you seem to be sticking around, you might be interested in the Magic: Expanded Multiverse project. We're always looking for more artists to join up, we try to give people a lot of feedback for what they're doing creatively, and the material we've got in our archives might be useful for you if you're trying to find subject matter for Magic illustrations (Don't feel intimidated by the archive, either--you don't have to read the whole thing. :P)
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Hi there Keeper ^^

I just got back from a decade of venturing at the multiverse. LOL Anyways thanks so much for this feedback, you somehow opened up some ideas that my eyes and mind havent seen while doing this artpiece. ) And by the way the link that you gave me the MTG : Expanded Multiverse Project is realllyy cool man. It is really a big help for me as an aspiring artist. I thank you for that and I think im liking some of the characters there and expect that one day Ill bring them to life. And whatever the outcome is, Im excited to share it here. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
-mon- 
While I love the entire piece, the terrain and atmosphere really seem believable to me.
Haha, now my question in your other thread seems kinda dumb. Whoops. I couldn't remember whether we had talked before or not.

I do quite like this piece, though. Glad to see you're sticking around  
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
While I love the entire piece, the terrain and atmosphere really seem believable to me.

Hi Blaise, Thanks for dropping by and thank you for appreciating the piece. ^^

-mon- 
Haha, now my question in your other thread seems kinda dumb. Whoops. I couldn't remember whether we had talked before or not.

I do quite like this piece, though. Glad to see you're sticking around  

Hahaha, yah I just figured out that you forgot already. BUt no we havent talked or chatted before, just here shooting messages. ^^

And yah its good to be back. ^^

-mon- 
Sign In to post comments