Issue with back story. Any ideas?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have two characters joining my group. We have a six man group so it gets busy. In the group now are a human paladin human Druid dwarf cleric and eldarin swordmage. Coming in is a revenant monk and a blackguard warforged named blackgolem (yea original right?) The warforged I want to be the druids protector (she's a young girl like Carrie but with the ability to control plants rather.) He's big and in black iron. The revenant would like to be a barechested scar covered monk who just can't seem to die. He's quiet and yet intimidating. One key element is he is a ghostwalker. My issue is I want to tie these two in with the rest of the group but can't come up with one idea that doesn't involve evil.
Well, seems like those character choices aren't considerate of the existing group at all, which makes your job hard.
I know it's just hindsight, but make it a rule that new characters must have some idea why they join the others. It's always odd when the group has to chant a collective "Sure, we could use more help!" just to make a little sense of the new guy adventuring with them - especially if they are not like the regular group at all, like in your case.

So, while this is not a job you alone should be handling, if your players dumped it on you, here are some ideas - but next time, ask them to come up with a sensible background by themselves. 

So, a real answer: Tie the monk and the warforged together first. It's much better than having to come up with an individual story for each Evil character joining a Good group at the same time. Make the monk and the warforged "partners in crime", an adventurer duo by themselves - they could have their own goals for why they're working together as mercenaries, money, power, whatever.

Then, when that's done, give both parties a common goal and make them forge an (at first) temporary alliance for the common good.
For example, the regular party is storming the base of a nemesis - hearing the sounds of battle, the duo appears, they all realize they are here for similar reasons, so they fight together. Then, even though they don't like each other much, they can decide to join forces against the nemesis, and after that adventure is over, they can all decide that strength is in numbers, we should stay together to pursue our goals.

The other option is making the evil duo the employers - they found out about some great loot (stash of money, powerful artifact, expensive relic) they want to get, but they need more people to get into the dungeon protecting it, so they employ the regular group so they can get the loot together. After that, same thing, they realize that adventuring with big group is more lucrative, let's join our forces.

I like that idea. The issue is that the two plays are not in fact evil. The warforged was born to the blackguard role and is fighting it through and through and the monk is... i guess you could say an ancestrial father of a long family line. Both have been together over 60 years. As of now they are duped in a curse to never be apart from one another. (Technically the revenant cant die until the Warforged does... which he feels helpless to because he debates if the Warforged is alive in the first place.) They are both Neutral Characters.
It might be a good idea to put the party in a bad spot, having the Warforged enter the scene attempting to save them in defiance of his destructive nature? If little Carriedruid takes to the Warforged despite the dark nature of his powers, the Warforged could insist on not losing her, or traveling with her to ensure her safety, thankful that she acknowledges his good intentions and/or self control, despite the nature of a Blackguard? 
Even if they aren't evil, my ideas still could work. In fact, they are even easier to implement.

Good luck! 
I have two characters joining my group. We have a six man group so it gets busy. In the group now are a human paladin human Druid dwarf cleric and eldarin swordmage. Coming in is a revenant monk and a blackguard warforged named blackgolem (yea original right?) The warforged I want to be the druids protector (she's a young girl like Carrie but with the ability to control plants rather.) He's big and in black iron. The revenant would like to be a barechested scar covered monk who just can't seem to die. He's quiet and yet intimidating. One key element is he is a ghostwalker. My issue is I want to tie these two in with the rest of the group but can't come up with one idea that doesn't involve evil.

There doesn't need to be any rules to this sort of thing.  The story element of the pen and paper table tops is what makes it better than MMO's (coupled with the social factor of seeing your friends across the table).  You get to carve the story however you please.

In your scenario perhaps the monk was told by a wiser monk that he will travel distant lands until he finds a warrior of (the paladin's deity), a dwarven priest, and a young tree whisperer.  Their actions will kill him, and let him rest peaceful for eternity.  Now being that all three of those are good.....they don't want to kill him personally, but being the wise monk he realizes it's their actions not necessarily their weapons that slay him, so he joins them to find death.

The blackguard could be a big hunk o animated iron that is a blackguard because he was 'made wrong'.  He notices the druid doing her earthly thing and wants her to fix him, but being that she's young (and not level 30 ;P)  she doesn't know HOW to fix him?  Maybe she's willing to try to learn so he annoyingly won't go away.  Perhaps he 'learns' from the paladin (read: multiclasses?)  and eventually fixes himself [by role-playing away the darker aspects of the blackguard class].