WotC, here are two things to spice up combat...just a little.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Two things that, I and my players, think would spice up combat are:

1) Aimed shots...knock out weapon from enemy or remove helm for example.

2) Critical Hit Charts...not just 2x damage.

I do not want these to become just house rules but actually placed in the books. Let the DM choose to use them or not.

Also, the artwork in D&D next needs to tell a story, like the one below, not just some over done superhero pathfinder crap... 

Called shots will probably show up in some book at some point. We kind of already have rules for doing it though. I mean, we have disarm, we have contests, we have advtantage/disadvantage and we have AC...
I'm assuming any DM worth their salt can make those tools do the trick.

Critical hit charts... well,  none for me thanks. The few times I've been in games with them, they were always less climactic than a proper crit.
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.

So, for critical hit charts: right now a critical hit does max damage +2d6 + 1d6/per odd level after 1st to a max of 6d6. What would be neat is if you could choose to give up some of those dice to deal a specific type of wound. For example, spend 2d6 to hamstring your opponent. It loses its move actions until after it heals the damage dealt from the attack (though it can still use its attack action to make a move instead of attack). Alternatively, spend 2d6 to cause a concussion. Your foe takes disadvantage on all d20 rolls until after it heals the damage dealt from the attack. That would be neat…

Honestly, I just want people's turns to be over...
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.

So, for critical hit charts: right now a critical hit does max damage +2d6 + 1d6/per odd level after 1st to a max of 6d6. What would be neat is if you could choose to give up some of those dice to deal a specific type of wound. For example, spend 2d6 to hamstring your opponent. It loses its move actions until after it heals the damage dealt from the attack (though it can still use its attack action to make a move instead of attack). Alternatively, spend 2d6 to cause a concussion. Your foe takes disadvantage on all d20 rolls until after it heals the damage dealt from the attack. That would be neat…

Sounds good! Below is a sample crit chart form DDC:

Crit Table V: Level 5+ Warriors

Roll Result

0 or less

Battle rage makes friend and foe indistinguishable. Foe is hit for +3d8

damage, and the ally nearest him is also hit by a rebounding blow for 1d4

damage.

1) Foe’s weapon shattered.* If the foe has no weapon, inflict +3d12 damage

with this strike.

2) Furious assault hurls foe back 1d10’. Any adjacent foes accidentally strike the

target for damage.

3) Blow to skull destroys ear. Inflict +1d12 damage with this strike, and the foe

suffers permanent deafness.

4) Strike to gut! The foe must make a Fort save (DC 20 + PC level) or spend the

next 2 rounds retching bile from a ruptured stomach.

5) Foe casts weapon away and wails for mercy. Inflict +1d12 damage with this

strike and make another attack.

6) Strike scalps foe. Blood courses down his face, and the foe is effectively

blinded until healed.

7) Foe entangled on your weapon, reducing his AC by -6 while caught. Make

another attack.

8-12) You see red! Inflict +1d12 damage with this strike as you are overcome by

battle rage!**

13-14) Strike to weapon arm. Foe takes quadruple damage from his own weapon as

it is hammered into his face. Foe drops weapon in dumbfounded awe.

15) Blow sunders shield. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike. If the foe has no

shield, he must make a Fort save (DC 20 + PC level) or be knocked

unconscious from the pain.

16) Strike to top of skull shortens spinal column, shortening foe by 6”. Resulting

nerve damage reduces foe’s AC by -4.

17) Target is disemboweled, spilling his entrails onto the ground. Foe dies instantly

of shock.

18) Blow destroys target’s face. Foe is immediately rendered blind and deaf and

is now capable of only wet, gurgling sounds.

19) Strike removes crown of target’s skull. Foe dies from exposed brain matter in

3d3 rounds.

20) Blow severs shield arm. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike. Foe’s hopes of

two-handed weapon mastery dashed.

21) Godly attack. Inflict +3d12 damage with this strike. If the target dies, move up

to 10’ and make another attack on any foe within 10’.

22) Blow severs leg. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike, and the foe’s movement

drops to zero. Foe does nothing but wail in agony for 1d4 rounds.

23) Strike to skull stuns foe for 1d4+1 rounds and permanently reduces Int by 1d12.

Make another attack on your inert foe.

24) Strike severs weapon arm. Inflict +2d12 damage with this strike, and the foe is

disarmed, literally and figuratively.

25) Devastating strike to torso voids foe’s bowels and crushes organs into paste.

Foe loses 50% of current hit points and all dignity.

26) Strike crushes throat. Foe begins drowning in his own blood and expires in 1d4

rounds.

27) Crippling blow to spine. Inflict +4d12 damage with this strike, and the foe

suffers permanent paralysis.

28+) Foe decapitated with a single strike. You are Death incarnate. Continue to

make attacks against any foes within 10’ until you miss.

Aimed shots are fine.  Just so long as it's not worth aiming at their eye/head/foot every single time.  Though a few more archer manuvers wouldn't hurt.

I'm against critical hit charts, even optional ones.  Look up's take to long for something that won't come up very often.  I'm am for critical hit effects (rather max damage + effect). +2d6 is boring (though it should also be an option).  

Perhaps makeing it sub-class based?  Let's people pick their crit, but at build time, not run time.  Like...

Fighter:  Sunder, when you score a critical hit, the target takes a -2 penalty to AC and attacks for a good bit.
Rogue1: Blind, when you score a critical hit, you blind the target for a bit.
Rogue2: Backstab, when you score a critical hit, you deal an extra damage.  (some classes should have +damage)
Cleric: Heal, when you score a critical hit, you and each ally gain hit points.
Cleric2: Fester, when you score a critical hit and kill a creature dies, it raises as an undead minion.
Barbarian: Rampage, when you score a critcal hit, you deal an extra 1d6 damage with all your attacks for the next 5 minutes.
Barbarian2: Blood Bath, when you score a critical hit, you regain hit points.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

That would be a neat Critical Hit table. Me want !!

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Fighter:  Sunder, when you score a critical hit, the target takes a -2 penalty to AC and attacks for a good bit.
Rogue1: Blind, when you score a critical hit, you blind the target for a bit.
Rogue2: Backstab, when you score a critical hit, you deal an extra damage.  (some classes should have +damage)
Cleric: Heal, when you score a critical hit, you and each ally gain hit points.
Cleric2: Fester, when you score a critical hit and kill a creature dies, it raises as an undead minion.
Barbarian: Rampage, when you score a critcal hit, you deal an extra 1d6 damage with all your attacks for the next 5 minutes.
Barbarian2: Blood Bath, when you score a critical hit, you regain hit points.

This sounds very promising. I'd avoid effects which require tracking, but the principle is sound.
What would be neat is if you could choose to give up some of those dice to deal a specific type of wound.

You know, normally, I am not a big fan of called shot rules,but sacrificing some or all of your critical hit in exchange for a condition?  That I like.
Huh. What do you know. For once everyone seems to like my idea... I hope WotC are reading this.
Huh. What do you know. For once everyone seems to like my idea... I hope WotC are reading this.

For those few out there that for WHATEVER reasons do not care for crit charts or called shots...they can be optional! Crit charts and aimed shots will weed out those careless players that think their god like characters are impossible to kill, in combat, because of their many hit points. I like the idea one shot could bring down even the mightest, foolish, warriorCry  Bring on the hord of 1st level kobolds and pray non of them score a critical on the careless player... 

For those few out there that for WHATEVER reasons do not care for crit charts or called shots...they can be optional! Crit charts and aimed shots will weed out those careless players that think their god like characters are impossible to kill, in combat, because of their many hit points. I like the idea one shot could bring down even the mightest, foolish, warriorCry  Bring on the hord of 1st level kobolds and pray non of them score a critical on the careless player... 

I don't think you really understood my idea. What you proposed with your table is nothing like what I proposed. I proposed that existing critical hit damage (in the form of the critical hit dice you roll when you score a critical hit) could be spent on a "table like" status effect. You don't actually roll to see what you hit. And, the number of critical hit dice you gain from a critical hit stays the same as in the RAW. Moreover, a critical hit never equals a one shot kill or equivalently potent mutilation... you need to reread my idea. But yes, it could (along with something more like what you want) be an optional rule system.

Well, the critical hit chart could be presented with an optional die roll for people who want a random critical hit result.

d%*Critical
Die Cost
Effect (in addition to max damage)
Less
than 22
Crit: +1d6 +1d6/2 levels
22-301Trip: creature is prone
31-391Push: creature knocked back 5'
40-481Lamed: creature speed reduced by 5' until end of encounter
49-571Bruised: creature incurs cumulative -1 penalty to attacks
58-622Disarmed: weapon falls in creature's square
63-672Confused: creature unabel to use next action
68-722Dumbstruck: creature unable to make noise until end of encounter
73-772Obscured: creature blinded until after next action
78-842Tintinitis: creature deaf until after next action
83-854Eye-shot: creature loses use of one eye
86-884Ear-Shot: creature loses use of one ear (or similar organ)
89-914Mouth-shot: creature cannot speak until healed
92-944Hamstrung: creature loses use of one appendage used for movement
95-974Fracture: creature unable to use one nonvital appendage not used for movement
98-996Severed: one limb removed from body
008Beheaded: Creature loses head, if possible. (does not kill multi-headed creatures)

*-5 to the roll for each level below 10)

there is precedence for this idea.  In 4th (often at a feat cost) strikers could swap out their quarry/sneak/etc damage for alternate effects.

i think it's a good idea and gives the players via good die rolls some narrative control.

CRITICAL HITS
This reminds me of the Ambush feats from 3.5 , you could exchange sneak attack damage for effects. A Critical Hit system that allows you to do that would be awesome. It would give more value to the d6 increases.

+1 to this idea.

PICTURE
As for the picture, I never really thought of it that way and its a good point. Its true just a hero posing for the camera feels dull, indeed each image should instead be someone looking down at a fantasy scene, but as an observer (not a photographer), so it feels like you are reading a story, which is essentially the heart of D&D.
This chart for critical hits and fumbles is very similar to the 1e version from Dragon Magazine.

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/vinifera/critical_hit_table_2e.pdf

This chart for critical hits and fumbles is very similar to the 1e version from Dragon Magazine.

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon3/vinifera/critical_hit_table_2e.pdf

Nice chart....keep them coming! 

What would be neat is if you could choose to give up some of those dice to deal a specific type of wound.

You know, normally, I am not a big fan of called shot rules,but sacrificing some or all of your critical hit in exchange for a condition?  That I like.

In my 4e campaign, I let the players choose the effect for their critical.  

Max damage plus (pick one):

1) Cause a wound (-1 to all actions until healed)
2) Knock prone   
3) Push foe back 10'
4) Cause 1d10 extra damage (if you roll a 10 you roll again and add damage)

Most of the times, the players just picked the extra damage.   I had the monsters almost always choose the extra damage just to keep the game moving.

Personally, I like the idea of giving choices, but I don't want the game to bog down.

The problem with 5e and crit hits is that monsters have less hit points than 4e monsters, so most of the time extra damage is really the only choice anyone would ever consider taking.      

A Brave Knight of WTF