The perfect defense character

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to build an all around best defensing character. Quite simply, a character who maximizes his defense stats (even through the use of the Total Defense action), but I don't want a defender that enhances its comrades, just one that avoids/defends against most attacks.
Any ideas for feats, powers, classes, items and races that work for this I would appreciate.  
You need to specify a little more what you're looking for. If you just want to avoid attacks, the best thing would just be a permastealth character that is never even detected by enemies.

If you just want highest defenses, that's certainly doable, but be aware that it will be usless in actual play because D&D is a team game and defending is about a lot more than having high defenses.  So specifying that this is just theory and not an actual character you want to play will save you about 5 pages of lectures.

I think Swordmage is a pretty good place to start, although it might not be the best.
There is also a rogue build with obnoxiously high defenses out there somewhere.  And SM|Lock with shadow-walk and other fun stuff.

But primarily Scatterbrained is right.  We need to know more about what you are looking for and if it is going for actual play or just for fun.  Also do the defenses need to be all the time or situational?  Do you want something thats good in a particular tier?  What level are you starting from?  All bits of info we need. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
There is also a rogue build with obnoxiously high defenses out there somewhere.  And SM|Lock with shadow-walk and other fun stuff.

But primarily Scatterbrained is right.  We need to know more about what you are looking for and if it is going for actual play or just for fun.  Also do the defenses need to be all the time or situational?  Do you want something thats good in a particular tier?  What level are you starting from?  All bits of info we need. 

rogue is here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

also confirming what scatter said; say that the build's for theory now and save yourself before it's too late.
Let's not forget the biggest problem with this kind of character: if you have stellar defenses and monsters will rarely, if ever, hit you, you need to have INSANE punishments to keep them off your team mates. If you cannot block your enemies actions they will simply ignore you and stomp over your much squishier comrades.

Remember, in 4E the best Defender is not the best Tank a MMORPG would call for. It's the guy that forces his enemies into a lose-lose situation.

Said that (yeah, he wasn't fast enough to avoid it) if it's just for theory, then all is good. If you want to play it, beware this is the first problem.
Another way to get great defenses is the Battlemind paragon path Iron Guardian. The level 12 utility power either halves or nullifies any damage you would take. 
The question is do you want the highest defenses, or not to be hit because the best way not to be hit, resource-wise, is to have a good de-buffing controller (or two) at your side. Having an invoker slapping a -8 on an enemy or the Wizard has him stuck in a Visions of Ruin box works rather well and doesn't suck up all your resources.

That way, you can actually hit regularly and add something to the fight. Speed Bump might be an interesting theorhetical exercise, but it's practicality is minimal.
I like builds that say "oh no you didn't" when it comes to self defense. I know it's not a defender but Sorcerers are pretty cool for this. You are within 7 points of my defenses, oh I just throw up Dragon Scales, you miss. You did 40 points of damage to me with a crit, no thanks, I'll take half with Narrow Escape, teleport over here and you can't attack me any more. Are you trying to hit me with your single digit hit points? Can't have that, I'll just teleport out of your reach, zap you with Slaad's Gambit, and take you down. You're trying to stun me with your Frightful Presence? Silly dragon, I Warp in the Weave and blow you a raspberry.

For defenders, Swordmages are probably the most interrupty, and team monster isn't likely to be able to easily plan for your shenanigans, and you can combine that with pretty decent defenses.
Thanks for all the responses. Actually the information is not actually to create an all around defense character, but rather to identify all classes, powers, races, feats, items and more that aid in defense, mayde to include some of them in a character. I would actually prefer not to "avoid" being attacked but rather to have the enemy miss against the character without the need of debuffs (simply put, have high defenses).
I'll look into the Battlemind and Rogue classes you mentioned.
I know if you have too high defenses monsters will rarely attack you, but imagine you're in a one square corridor and you put someone like that on the front.

You don't put someone like that in front. You put the guy who explodes on enemies like a Sidewinder missile, so they can't hurt anyone.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Just how often are you going to be in that 5' coridor facing an enemy with no ranged or area attacks nor flight, teleports or ways around to the back of you and no melee or up-front damage dealer of your own  to make building a character around that viable?

Answer: VERY rarely to never.

jajaja I know, but as a DM you have to be ready for any kind of situations the players may think they want to prepare to with their character.
One Word: Artillery

Any Team Evil operating with a 5'-wide bottleneck is going to have their own Brute meatsack and artillery. Said defender-type isn't going to do jack but be a speedbump for a non-bursting brute.

The question is, why would you want to rely on such a boring, static field of battle with any sort of regularity?
Again, I have been asked questions like that one, and you can't say what you just said to a new player... You have to give them options, make them happy... right?
Again, I have been asked questions like that one, and you can't say what you just said to a new player... You have to give them options, make them happy... right?

Save yourself the trouble and just say "its theory, not trying to get a build up but just a discussion on defensive feats".

Really what you are looking for has already been suggested.  If you are trying to see what a character can do with that situation the Battlemind PP is by far the best.  55% chance of taking no damage, 45% of taking half damage.  And that is if they hit the BM (which is a defender afterall). 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
thanks, I'll give it a try
Here's the defensive theroy op champ.  Uses alot of the above tricks.

Being invisible/hidden also works most of the time, and can stack with other stuff, like the battlemind PP.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Here are a couple links from a quick forum search

Highest Overall Defense (old)

High Defense Halfling

Ultimate Defenders
Best defense is a good offense. Especially in 4e.
I wouldn't actually play the high defense halfling build linked above, but its not a bad starting point.

Small cleric mc/hybrid fighter works because smart DMs make front line leaders one of their primary targets most encounters.  So having high defenses on a leader like that is useful, but that one goes overboard what is practical for a normal game.
Something like Vader (SM|lock/assassin/sigil carver) works pretty well and has pretty insane defences - teleport everyround for +2 AC/Reflex, make that teleport at least 3 squares (ethereal sidestep and a +2 incisive dagger) for constant concealment, and wear armour of dark majesty for +2 to all defences against curses enemies. So effectively you are at +6/+4/+6/+4 over your basic defences pretty much all the time.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Sign In to post comments