Enchanting Feral Armor's Claw Attack

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

The character is a half-Orc scout with the werewolf theme. At the moment he is using a +2 Frost Weapon Double Sword. The Level 10 Feature of the werewolf theme allows me to retain usage of weapons while in Beast Form –Hybrid Wolf. Role-play wise, the character is attacking enemies with frost enchanted claws. I am hoping to get this in place mechanically as well. Here are the three relevant pieces copy/pasted from the compendium.

Question 1: Can the claw attack be given the frost weapon enchantment?

Question 2: Can I be considered dual wielding this attack?

Question 3: Can I use it for both main hand and off hand attacks?

Question 4: Can be original non-hybrid form get this going before level 10? (Both peices can be aquired on a fresh level 8 in LFR)

Feral ArmorLevel 7+ Uncommon

This armor causes its wearer to develop a ferocious streak, like that of the predator that once wore the same skin.

Lvl 7

+2

2,600 gp

Lvl 22

+5

325,000 gp

Lvl 12

+3

13,000 gp

Lvl 27

+6

1,625,000 gp

Lvl 17

+4

65,000 gp

Armor: Hide

Enhancement Bonus: AC

Property

Gain a claw attack while wearing this armor: a one handed military light blade melee weapon with +3 proficiency bonus to attack rolls and deals 1d8 damage. The wearer gains proficiency with this weapon. The claw attack has an enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls equal to the enhancement bonus of this armor. This attack counts as a melee basic attack.

PowerEncounter (Standard Action)

Close burst 1; targets enemies; make a basic melee attack using the claw attack granted by this armor against each enemy in burst.

Published in Dragon Magazine 369, page(s) 13.

Frost WeaponLevel 3+ Uncommon

A thin layer of frost coats the business end of this weapon.

Lvl 3

+1

680 gp

Lvl 18

+4

85,000 gp

Lvl 8

+2

3,400 gp

Lvl 23

+5

425,000 gp

Lvl 13

+3

17,000 gp

Lvl 28

+6

2,125,000 gp

Weapon: Any

Enhancement Bonus: attack rolls and damage rolls

Critical: +1d6 cold damage per plus

Power (Cold) (Free Action)

All damage dealt by this weapon is cold damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.

Power (Cold) Daily (Free Action)

Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes 1d8 cold damage and is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Level 13 or 18: 2d8 cold damage.

Level 23 or 28: 3d8 cold damage.

Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 234.

Werewolf

"The beast within me strains to escape my control, and when it does, you must run. Run as fast as you can, but I’ll warn you that even that might not be enough."

When people think of lycanthropy, they think of werewolves. No other lycanthrope evokes the same fear, even if other lycanthropes might be stronger and more dangerous. Life on the frontiers puts settlers in contact with wolves and, having watched livestock vanish and having fended off attacks against ravenous wolves, the fears seem justified, even though most wolves avoid mankind when they can. Although ordinary wolves are content to go their own way, ranging across the countryside in packs, werewolves hunt humans. They and the wolves they enslave are aggressive, vicious, and unrelenting in their attacks. Werewolf packs are dangerous, since they can scout out the landscape by day in human form and launch attacks by night. They might be fearless in battle, but they avoid the cities where they face discovery and death. Instead, they keep to the wilderness, where their attacks might go unnoticed and where retribution comes slowly—if at all. As with all lycanthropes, being a werewolf is no guarantee of evil. The hunger remains, but a strong will can control it. It is always a struggle, though. A werewolf must always fight to keep the beast in check, and sometimes even the best efforts are not enough. Werewolves seeking redemption for or escape from their natures favor the adventurer’s life since it carries them away from innocents and lets them vent their fury on more deserving foes. Nearly all werewolves inherited their natures from their parents, passing on what many would consider to be a curse. Such werewolves are human or have human blood, such as half-elves or half-orcs. Just about any other natural or fey race could become a werewolf by succumbing to moon frenzy or fall prey to a curse due to their bloodlust.
Werewolf Starting Feature (1st level): You gain a +2 power bonus to Intimidate checks. You have the shapechanger subtype. As such, you are subject to effects that affect shapechangers. In addition, any enemy has combat advantage against you when attacking you with a silvered weapon or implement. Also, you are immune to moon frenzy. Finally, you gain the wolf shape power. Werewolf Level 5 Feature (5th level): When interacting with wolves and similar creatures, you gain a +2 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate checks. In addition, while wolf shape is active, you gain a +2 power bonus to speed. Werewolf Level 10 Feature (10th level): When you use the wolf shape power, you can assume the form of a humanoid-wolf hybrid, instead of a wolf. While in hybrid form, your equipment does not become part of your new form, and you are not forced to drop any items you are holding. You are also not limited to using implement and weapon attack powers that have the beast form keyword.

Werewolf Utility Wolf Shape

Loosing the beast within triggers a sudden, painful transformation into a menacing wolf.

Encounter Polymorph Minor Action Personal

Effect: You change from your humanoid form to a beast form—a wolf—that lasts until the end of the encounter. Alternatively, you can end the form as a minor action and shift 1 square. While you are in beast form, you can’t use weapon or implement attack powers that lack the beast form keyword, although you can sustain such powers. While in this form, you have low-light vision. The form is your size, and it doesn’t otherwise change your game statistics or movement modes. Your equipment becomes part of the form, but you drop anything you are holding, except implements you can use. You continue to gain the benefits of the equipment you wear, except a shield. You can use the properties and the powers of implements as well as magic items you wear, but not the properties or the powers of weapons or the powers of wondrous items. While equipment is part of the form, it cannot be removed, and anything in a container that is part of your form is inaccessible. Until the form ends, you can use the secondary power at will.

Published in Dragon Magazine 410.

1) No the Feral Armor's claw attack cannot be enchanted.

2) No the Feral Armor's Property grant a claw attack but it is not wielded. 

3) No the Feral Armor's Property grant a claw attack but it doesn't occupy any hand (no main hand nor offhand). 

4) Yes as soon as you can get the armor.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Think of it like this - the part in the description of Feral Armor that says the claw attack gains an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to the enhancement bonus of the armor basically IS the enchantment on the claw attack.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...