Interim D&DN Campaign Setting?

Not sure if this would be a good idea or not but how would the board users feel about having an unofficial default campign setting for D&DN? In 2002 WoTC done something similar and we ended up with Eberron.

The basic idea is to start with is if you are interested out your name here. after a week or so the people who have put their name down can present a smal brief on a seperate thread and forum users can vote for their favourite presentations (2-3 votes IDK?) The most popular ones go to the next round- 16 becomes 8, becomes 4, then 2 and then 1.

We can argue over the details but such setting should probably be brief and easily downloaded if it is a word/open office/google docs work and if it needs a map having one online would probably work as well. One could also be an update on a D&D camapign setting but I would advise not having to much in the way of mechanics as D&DN is in flux itself. Or even required mechanics. Spelljammer was a fun setting but one would need to create rules for space combat for D&DN so its probably a bad idea.

No idea should be rejected as it will be the forum users voting on it. If no one likes your idea it will probably get the boot early on, don't take it personally. Can be anything. If you want to do a classical based Rome/Greek theme where they are being invaded by mongols put it up. For the moment if you arre interested put your name down here if you want to try it out and of course feel free to comment. One can include a brief description of your setting. Just make it heavy on the fluff (edition neutral).

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

My idea. I do have a 30 odd page word document for Darksun. The timeline has been advnaced 1000 years from the 2nd ed work and the focus is on restoring the planet. The Cerulean Storm has been harnessed to increase rainfall and the focus is on the Tyr region and 7 Sorcerer Kings (and Queens) rule the 7 cities of the Tyr region. Would require a map of the Tyr region ( they are online I believe).

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Cool idea, though I would prefer something new as opposed to a redo of an existing setting.  It has been 10 years, time for something new.
 Fell free to present something new;). Should probably have a can't vote for yourself clause.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Sure, what the hay.

I nominate Chris Perkins' campaign world, as described in the Dungeon Master Experience series of articles, Iomandra.
 Fell free to present something new;). Should probably have a can't vote for yourself clause.

Yeah, no stuffing the ballot box.
Sure, what the hay.

I nominate Chris Perkins' campaign world, as described in the Dungeon Master Experience series of articles, Iomandra.

Thanks for the link.

It looks pretty cool and gives me some good ideas for Dragonborn.
I've been reading the Midgard Campaign Setting by Wolfgang Baur. It's a dark, gritty take on the traditional fantasy world. It may be for pathfinder, but that doesn't mean you can't use the setting.

The link is to a free preview of the setting.
My two copper.
 Should probably exclude current in print games which are currently supported lol. Didn't think of that.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Oh. Then SPELLJAMMER ALL THE WAY!!!
My two copper.
 The main reason Jenks is that its really advertising someone elses product. I know some DMs have extensive notes and they may like to share them. I can see that splitting along ediiton lines.

"Theres this campaign setting, its called Golarion and its really good......."

See my point?

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

No, I understand
My two copper.
I can do the maps!

EDIT:  Lets start from the ground up.  A complete forum endeavor.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I can do the maps!

EDIT:  Lets start from the ground up.  A complete forum endeavor.

Thats a great offer;)

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Sweet. It'd be cool to try to do something completely from scratch for this.
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
Might Be Easier to brainstorm as a group. Thoughts?

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

IT IS FREE  AND SOOOO OLD SCHOOL...

www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufact...

Average Rating  (5 reviews)

Description:

In the days when man knew only the working of stone and fought for their existence against the orc and the goblin, the sky turned to ash and down fell the fiery mountain onto the land.  The world tore open and the grey waters rushed in.  Those who survived the impact were lost as boiling clouds rushed out in all directions leaving a wasteland in its wake.

The Mountain That Fell left a gift; magic.  Near and far, those of learning and strong of heart discovered new powers to shape the world.  In the desolation around the Smoking Bay the adventurous found viz, magic in physical form.  And there was more, scattered amid the landscape were strange artifacts and stranger creatures that survived The Mountain That Fell.  For a time men, dwarves, orc, goblins, and other races braved the dangers and fought each other in the wastelands.  Then the elves came into Blackmarsh expelled the feuding races, drove the monsters out, and healed the land.

In the present day, many come to Blackmarsh to harvest viz, kill monsters, or seek the strange artifacts left by The Mountain That Fell.  The only force that stands against the wilderness is the Blackmarsh Rangers.  Anyone who is willing to defend the land and its people are welcomed into their ranks. Powerful kingdoms outside of Blackmarsh are beginning cast a covetous eyes toward the land's riches.  Will the adventurers of your campaign become wealthy and powerful? Or will their bones join the many that have sunk into the swamps?

Blackmarsh is a complete, ready to run setting for your campaign. It can be run as its own setting or an expansion of your existing world.  Contained in Blackmarsh are 17 geographical entries, 78 described locales, and one detailed town; Castle Blackmarsh. Each entry provide one or more adventure hooks to use in your campaigns.

Group!

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Why not reanimate old, forgotten classics?  (Blackmoor says hi)

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Oh. Then SPELLJAMMER ALL THE WAY!!!

Do it, goddammit!

Or maybe Council of Wyrms.  That would be hilarious.
Sure, what the hay.

I'd like to spend my vote to second this.

I haven't really fleshed it out, but I always wanted to run a campaign in which giant floating islands (Gulliver style) traversed the earth, a remnant of a forgotten age. They would have been constructed and inhabited by the elves, but some disaster led to their abandonment, and now all sorts of creatures live there. The islands are a source of shame for the elves, who still live in the treetops, longing for the heights they once commanded. Individual islands would sweep paths through the sky like comets, some bringing opportunities to adventurers and prospectors when they are low enough in the sky, others bringing terror and destruction due to their inhabitants.
The islands are a source of shame for the elves

The obvious path here, is some sort of impending eco-disaster the elves didn't realize at the time.

I haven't really fleshed it out, but I always wanted to run a campaign in which giant floating islands (Gulliver style) traversed the earth, a remnant of a forgotten age. They would have been constructed and inhabited by the elves, but some disaster led to their abandonment, and now all sorts of creatures live there. The islands are a source of shame for the elves, who still live in the treetops, longing for the heights they once commanded. Individual islands would sweep paths through the sky like comets, some bringing opportunities to adventurers and prospectors when they are low enough in the sky, others bringing terror and destruction due to their inhabitants.

SOunds like the air world from the deathgate cycle.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I don't know deathgate, but it's definitely inspired by the ancient past in Chrono-Trigger.
 They had an air type world with floating islands and a shortage of water (rainfall only). The old 80's known world (Mystara) also had floating islands in Alphatia.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Long living races, definitively convinced of their superiority, joined forced against the vermin they consider responsible for the world decline, the short living humanoids.

Humans, goblinoids, lizardmen, halflings, changeling, dragonborns, Kenku, Kobolds, and other nice people, organized their survival against self-called Wise Ones. The second generation of survivors is here, ready to teach big lessons to the old conservative races and starting to build together the most advanced and dynamic civilization the world has ever known.
The new generation grew with the pride of the first generation of survivors about the fact that the average lifespan of the Wise Ones as started to decrease.

Welcome to a world where the contempt of dwarves, elves, eladrin, dragons, and other nice people who call themselves Wise Ones, toward humans and other short living humanoids has reached full maturation.
Your life is short, and you have to make this a truth for everyone else if you don't want short living races becoming just a reference in the Wise Ones history books. Unlike these monsters, you are on the side that can accept a surrender from the enemy.
The Wise Ones think that the changes in the world is about to reach a conclusion because what remains of your races will disappear, but they will soon learn that the world has only started to change, and that short living races are better at making babies.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

As a note a lot of this was done out of order.

community.wizards.com/wiki/Dnd:Iomandra_...
Thank you Wrecan, what a great read that was. I assumed that the heroic tier was either an island or a small chain of islands, with enough conflict to warrant exploration and combat, (Strife, drama etc, not a peaceful nation) but was big enough to allow for grand cities of multicultural blending. I could not find an island like that on the maps as hard as I looked, although it is possible, I was wrong in thinking that, I didn’t explore any of the further articles on it, just the main one you pointed me to.

What is interesting about this one is that it recognizes the other realms, and imported some of its intelligent denizens. Also that humans don’t appear to be a central figure anymore, Dragonborns. This to me means that they should be looked at as the neutral ones with less flavor and that humans should be more like the other races with specifics and adaptability is just a trait of theirs. Such as failing tasks, rolls and checks, just grants them that ump-fah to really stick it to the next one. Whereas Dragonborns as I am imagining them to be less specific and more neutral, so expanding upon their base race to be more varied. OR OR OR that just like in Tron Legacy’s Explanation of Imperfection near the end, one should think that maybe IO just felt these particular traits were the best, and so gave them to her creations. I just would like to see the powers and abilities (not in the sense of mechanics here as in 4e powers etc,) that things like dragon breath is just one of many things, or what sort of advantages you gain to abilities or skills are more varied. I just see a more swapping of stats between the two, and then reflavoring over them (between Humans and Dragonborns).

I also like the incorporation of the backstories provided in 4th edition for Dragonborns and Tieflings were folded into this campaign, which is both interesting and great, I liked the stories of the two fallen empires from the original source material (PHB/DMG). I also love the prevalence of dragons, what fun. Maybe I’m mixing that up with Essentials, the Forgotten Kingdoms and the Fallen Lands, it maybe that they are fallen lands.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer
Very interesting, but not quite what I want, as an overarching theme that is like a string theory type that just links all the campaigns together, sure go for it. It would be great to be the official campaign setting, but that your official setting exists within only a fraction of it. I imagined the other setting might exist in other planes of existence like the far realm where aberrants come from, the far reaches of space that … and so on and so forth.

X
Personally though I liked 4th edition PHB 1 / DMG 1’s cosmology. I just accepted that one, and when I think of D&D that is the cosmology I imagine most. So that would probably have to be my vote, even though I doubt it would carry over.

This isn’t it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Plane#Standa...

Also to boot: I’m down with helping star a campaign from scratch, helping suggest ideas for origins of creatures, (intelligent ones), which makes me think of when I read Tolkien’s cosmology online. I would like to help however possible though.

I’ve recently through research have become fond of Ravenloft, as it is the only known campaign setting I can find that meld medieval fantasy with gothic horror, so well. I do see the point of crafting one from scratch though. I remember seeing a homebrew one that relied on gods and goddess being aspects of the six primary attributes with male and female deities representing the physical and mental aspects respectively. As well that there were pairings (couples in relationships, the gods) Constitution with Wisdom, Dexterity with Intelligence, and Strength with Charisma. I think they may have also had animal representations too, not sure, I’d have to look it up.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystara
“It originated as the Known World, a semi-generic setting used in early adventure modules, first mentioned in the Module X1, Isle of Dread,[1] which was expanded upon in various D&D modules and sources, particularly a series of Gazetteers.”

Does that mean that the newest adventure which I think was called Isle of Dread unsure, could be linked here. Wow you guys are sending me all over the place. Mysteria err Mystara is really cool, from what I’m reading. It takes care of my liking of a eastern themed place, and all sorts of things in-between like Renaissance without gunpowder, unless maybe I misread something. It’s got cold places, hot places, anti-magic places, floating islands (or so I imagine) and Moons and places for Gods and the like.

What I’d like to see, is for the Unearthed Arcana of 3.5 to be more openly discussed. From what I’ve read of it, it appears to me to be a list of tweaks that enable all sorts of things, which some of them being implemented into fourth edition as part of the core. If I recall there is a section of it that has facing, and hexagonal shaped things. I’m interested in explore more of the “hardcore” tactics that could be possible, that they keep mentioning might be a possible module; I’d like to see some more module-ness come out soon.

Sorry if I’m wandering off topic, I’m also looking for edition neutral settings. What are like the main five we are avoiding? Forgotten Realms, Ebberon, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Greyhawk. I should really look more into the ins and outs of these to know a bit more of the difference.

What about the Oriental Setting: Rokugan, or something like the sort. I would have liked to try that one out, the world felt different yet familiar, it always felt to me like it existed in the same realm as the standard one, but set in China instead of Europe. (As a point of reference) where the classes and races were a bit different, and where they came from, but it all felt like it made sense. Also that the standard (western) ones existed out there, but were so rare as to be only seen as NPCs.

And I don’t know what else to say, until more things are put together, I would probably put a vote on the Island world though, it seems well thought out although Mysteria err at least that is how I pronounce it but its Mystara I believe Star-Ah any who although Mystara seems really neat. I haven’t really read the other realms in depth enough to know what sounds best, I am curious about Dark Sun because I think it had half-dwarves, and about forgotten realms and Ebberon because I think one of them was a Tolkien-verse.

AD&D 1st Edition Character (Simplified)

BIOGRAPHY
Name: Brother Michael
Adventuring Class: Cleric
Adventuring Experience: 1446 out of 1501
Bonus Experience: 10%
Languages Known: Common, Orc, Elven.
Alignment: Lawful/Neutral Good
ABILITY SCORES
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 11
Charisma: 11
Constitution: 14
Wisdom: 16
WEAPONS: HIT; MEDIUM; LARGE
Footman’s Flail: 1d20; 1d6+1; 1d4
Hammer (Thrown): 1d20; 1d4+1; 1d4
Sling: 1d20-3; 1d4+1; 1d6+1
MAGIC
Today’s Prepared Spells: Cure Light Wounds x2, Command x1
Spells Spent: Cure Light Wounds x1
Other Cleric Abilities: Turn Undead
Spell Failure: 0%
Magical Attack Adjustment: +2
DEFENSES
Armor: 5 (-4 Armor, -1 Shield)
Maximum Health: 10
Current Health: 9
CONSUMABLE ITEMS
Water Skin
7 Days of Trail Rations
7 Pints (Flasks) of Oil
1 Ounce (Vial) of Holy Water
4 Parchments
12 Sling Bullets
6 Pieces of Silver
8 Pieces of Twine

I am curious about Dark Sun because I think it had half-dwarves, and about forgotten realms and Ebberon because I think one of them was a Tolkien-verse.

Yes, Dark Sun (D&D meets The Road Warrior/Mad Max) has Muls (half-dwarves), but neither Forgotten Realms nor Eberron are remotely Tolkien, their magic/monster/power level is far beyond Middle-Earth (to start).

There was an old rumour about Dark Sun being FR in the future. 

Sounds like a pretty neat idea!

I'm sure you've seen the Hiyao Miyazaki movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky. It takes the legend of Laputa from Gulliver's Travels and sets it in a steampunk-ish industrial world. It's charming, poignant, and exciting.

Here is a sketch of a regional section of whatever we want.  Anyone got any names they want on it.  Cites, Rivers, Mtn Ranges, whatnot?

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/832/panfang.png)

Credit to www.obsidiandawn.com for the arcane symbols