Clone and Infinite Reflections

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
if you control Infinite Reflection on your Lord of Atlantis and a Clone enters the battlefield

can it copy another creature or will Infinite Reflection override it in any case?
proud member of the 2011 community team
It will be a Lord of Atlantis in any case.

You can apply Clone first and Infinite Reflection second, so it will be a Lord of Atlantis. You can apply Infinite Reflection first, but then the Clone effect does not apply, so it will be a Lord of Atlantis.
right, if IR applies first it's no longer a clone

I was overthinking it
proud member of the 2011 community team
Infinite reflection's effect will effectively override clone's effect.

As the creature enters the battlefield, two effects (clone, and infinite reflection) are trying to alter what happens. The creature's controller picks one of the effects to apply and applies it. If you apply infinite reflection first, clone is no longer applicable, and you don't do anything else. If you apply clone first, infinite reflection is still applicable, so you apply it too and overwrite whatever you chose to copy with clone.
5/1/2012 If a creature such as Clone is entering the battlefield under your control, there will be two copy effects to apply: the creature's own and Infinite Reflection's. No matter what order these effects are applied, the creature will be a copy of the enchanted creature when it enters the battlefield.

I was overthinking it

I wouldn't call it overthinking; this is a very complex interaction.
Sure, today, most of us know the trick and Cyphern makes it nice & easy. But when it was brand new, the struggle around that idea was fierce.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

What about other ETB effects.

Reflection is on LoA, but then I cast an <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=265722" rel="nofollow">Archaeomancer</a>, if I put Reflection's trigger first, then Arch's, can I still return an instant to my hand before it becomes another LoA.
Now that I think about it... does it even matter what order it goes on the stack?

How about anthroplasm.  From what I can tell, it has no ETB trigger, it just gets 2 counters.  So would it keep those when it becomes another LoA?

What about other ETB effects.

LoA doesn't have any
Reflection is on LoA, but then I cast an <a href="http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=265722" rel="nofollow">Archaeomancer</a>, if I put Reflection's trigger first, then Arch's, can I still return an instant to my hand before it becomes another LoA.

no, it enters as an LoA, the trigger only happens when Reflections initially enters after that it changes new nontoken creatures with a replacement effect
How about anthroplasm.  From what I can tell, it has no ETB trigger, it just gets 2 counters.  So would it keep those when it becomes another LoA?

no, it won't have that ability after Reflections applies to it, there's a rule that forces copy effects to apply before most other replacement effects

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Got it.  I was thinking the Reflection and Clone wordings were based on ETB effects. But they really take effect before entering the battlefield.
I was reading it "when a creature ETB, it then becomes...."  as opposed to "It enters as a...."