12/14/2012 LD: "Developing, UNLEASED"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Good article. I like the number crunching exercises.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Yeah, me too. There were some enjoyable decisions to take there.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I liked the format of this article a lot.
I strongly disagree on the second example. Playing a 1/1 Capler implies you mean to chump-block at some point in the game.

Now I'm assuming you're playing an agressive Rakdos deck and it probably has more creatures.

Since you're at 20 life there's no need to chump so why would you ever play it as a 1/1? Play it agressively and play to win. If you ever get Auger Spree you get to remove his blocker and attack for 2 instead of 1.

I liked the article but some of the reasonings seemed a bit shortsighted.
Didn't expect this article. Kind of fun and interesting. Should've been a Limited Information article.
I strongly disagree on the second example. Playing a 1/1 Capler implies you mean to chump-block at some point in the game.

Now I'm assuming you're playing an agressive Rakdos deck and it probably has more creatures.

Since you're at 20 life there's no need to chump so why would you ever play it as a 1/1? Play it agressively and play to win. If you ever get Auger Spree you get to remove his blocker and attack for 2 instead of 1.

Yeah what I would do is not play it at all. It doesn't do anything in this board state so why not keep your options open until you know what is most needed?

Yeah what I would do is not play it at all. It doesn't do anything in this board state so why not keep your options open until you know what is most needed?

I had a Rakdos Cackler that I auto-unleashed in the mid-game, and then realized immediately that it was a mistake.  Admittedly, I was playing a more controlling R/U/b deck, and my opponent was Golgari with a Korozda Guildmage.  Being able to block an Intimidating black creature after my opponent spent mana to pump it would have been very nice.  I think I still won that game, but I didn't deserve to.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...