The Planeswaller

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
edit: corrected

Show
Planeswalker
+6: Two target creatures must attack ~ this turn if able.
+3: Up to 4 target creatures must attack ~ this turn if able.
-2: You gain 2 life, put a 0/6 wall creature token into play with defender.
-3: Double the number of loyalty counters on ~. (after paying this abilities cost)
Loyalty: 4

2nd design:

Planeswalker
+3: You gain 2 life.
-2: Put a 0/6 wall creature token into play with defender.
-4: Until the beginning of your next turn, up to 6 target creatures must attack ~ if able, double the number of loyalty counters on ~.
Loyalty: 3
I don't even know where to begin with everything wrong with that templating:

1) Planeswalkers don't attack or block.
2) Plainswalker. You can hose them with Great Wall. Seriously.
3) The usual template is "ability to gain loyalty that also does something weak but can be done every turn, ability to lose loyalty that's more specific, game-winning ability that costs much more than the starting loyalty".
4) No walker at three mana would have six loyalty.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks. I've fixed those things. Planeswalker and Plainswalker are horribly similar spellings, I know I've been caught out here before.

I'm sort of going for, prevent creatures attacking the player by making them attack the walker instead, I think this is now as I meant.

How is it now? I've also produced a 2nd design that should be better costs wise.
I've got to point out, then, how he makes creatures attack "this turn if able" but you can only use planeswalker abilties on your own turn. So... his first two abilities actually do absoluely nothing but give an absurb number of tokens.

And why is it only -2 for life and a badass blocker that will help keep him alive longer? No synergy and very cheap for a very good ability.

Sorry that my comments are harsh, I do kind of get the idea you're going for, but this planeswalker is pretty scattered and untemplated, so it really needs a facelift on its abilities before you can comment too much on power levels and such.

edit: I just saw that you edited as I wrote this. Slightly better in that it's at least templated correctly, but still there is a significant power level problem I would said. -1 for a huge wall is pretty good even if it has defender (that may be more my own opinion of power levels, but I would make it -2 or -3), and the ultimate still has the problem of not actually making anything able to attack him because it's only used on your turn.

Overall take a look at other walkers and balance the power of this one. For instance, at the very least, he needs to cost way more or have way less potential for loyalty gain. Right now, costing cmc 3, 4 starting lotalty, and a +3 ability makes him crazy strong. On turn three you can have a 7 loyalty walker with huge board control potential that (should) control attacks and craps out cheap walls. You'd need to change at least one aspect, for instance a 5+ cmc, make the first ability +1 or 2, or make him start with around 2 loyalty. But all three of those factors together is too much.

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Cool, thanks for editing in the extra info.

I've made it start with 1 less loyalty and the wall ability cost 1 more.

It currently takes 3 uses of the first ability before the third (if I can find a way to reword it that is) can be used productively.
Better now, a bit more balanced.

I would either copy the wording of Gideon Jura, or perhaps "Until the beginning of your next turn, up to 6 target creatures must attack ~ if able". This allows actually for more flexibility than Gideon's ability, as you can call out particular creatures without forcing "heavies" to attack, and the ability actually targets the creature so in multiplayer you can call out different player's armies. So actually congrats on finding a cool tweak in design space.

I don't really know if doubling the loyalty counters is strictly necessary on the ultimate as it has +3, but that's more of personal preference if you can make the wording work, so feel free to ignore this comment

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Your comments are most welcome, the new wording has been inserted.

Without the doubling being part of the 3rd ability, every other turn you would be vulnerable, it would also only be possible to defend against small creatures because the first ability only gives 3 loyalty when used.
Still weird. with the +3. You'll notice +3 planeswalkers tend to be really expensive.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments