trying to hook a new player.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
i'm about to start an eberron campaign with a new player. he seems pretty deadset on being atleast partially a cleric, but i'm worried that a straight cleric may not be the most engaging way to hold a new player's interest.

what are some solid hybrid options for cleric that you personally enjoy?

i should mention, he seems to want to be even more leader-y. he doesn't seem like he has any real preferences beyond that, so i'm really just looking to keep him entertained.
If he wants to play a cleric, let him play a cleric. Just tell him to take Battle Cleric's Lore and avoid being a pacifist.
That's a big question, because clerics hybrid well with a lot of classes. Pretty much anything that uses STR or WIS as primaries, WIS/CON or CON/WIS builds, and probably several others.

I'd try to narrow down a role he might like. Striker-Defender-Controller-Leader. Cleric can hybrid to do any of these.

I'd also emphasize that Divine is a whole power source, so you don't have to be a cleric to be a holy guy. Sounds like he just wants the fluff, which comes along with any divine class. His concept of a cleric probably has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the class.
When you say he wants to be more leader-y,  what do you mean?

If it means lead by example, buffing allies, I'd suggest Hybrid with Warlord(Marshall). 
If it means lead by providing extra healing, I'd still suggest Hyrbrid with Warlord.
Or, he can stick with Battle Cleric to have a mostly melee and strong character.

Let him play the character he wants to.  Hybrid Cleric, take Battle Cleric's Lore and let him have fun.
The player should come here for advice on optimization.

In Eberron, it may be easiest to reconcile fluff if he Hybrids Cleric and Warlord, since the gods generally aren't physical manifestations and don't interact with the world like the gods of othr settings.  It makes for a solider who is devout in his faith and gains some ability to divinely heal allies because of it.

I'd also suggest that you let him drop the character and create a new one after a few sessions if he really isn't interested in playing it.
It sucks to be stuck with a character you don't want to play.
I'd concur with BlackKnight - wait and see if he enjoys it before pigeonholing him into not doing so.  if you go into it expecting him to have a bad time, he'll probably have a bad time regardless of whether he would otherwise have enjoyed the class.  Clerics are fun.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ranger|Cleric.

Str/Wis - Get Battle Cleric's Lore, Twinstrike as your ranger at-will and, depending on the group, Brand of the Sun (thats the one that grants saves yes?) as your cleric at-will.

If you have a defender with a mark punishment that matters (Fighter, anyone who MCed fighter etc) then pick up Guardian as your theme.

MC fighter for Battle Awareness.

Pick up Mighty Hew and Disruptive Strike then fill every slot you can with double attacks, triple attacks and minor action attacks (Weapon of Astral Flame is amazing after a bit).  You can also pick up Moment of Glory if you are the primary healer because that power will completely neutralize some low-level encounters all on its own (although you take a hit to damage by losing WoAF and sustain minor).

The build has 4 interrupts by level 3 (so always something to do) can force a mark violation with guardian's counter, lots of minor action attacks and double taps.  It has near defender level defenses and hits fairly hard.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Really unless your a lazy lord or pacifist cleric, playing a leader isn't any different then any other class. Plus clerics have a ton of good powers at all levels. If he does want to hybrid personally like cleric/barbarian, cleric/sentinal, or cleric/melee ranger. But picking that many choices can be overwhelming for a new player.
All great suggestions but also remember that this is a NEW player. Depending on the level of understanding of the game mechanics perhaps hybrids that involve multiple interupts and such are not the best idea at first. As spaceinvader said a Cleric could be built to be fun.

Besides, if they are new why not let them play what they want and later as they get a better grip on the game re-work the PC as they see fit.
Meh, I've seen new players pick up complicated builds and run with it perfectly fine (My wife being one of them).  I got the impression that the OP was worried about any of the classes being boring and the Ranger|Cleric won't be boring.  Will it not get played perfectly the first or second or third time?  Probably not.  Will it be effective enough to do it's job?  Yep.  Will there a long well to pull things from as he advances and gets used to the game/character?  Yep.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
What's this about picking up your complicatedly-built wife?

Phrasing aside, yeah, I'm seconding Matyr here, except for the bit about Disruptive Strike. IA overload is best avoided when people are going to have a hard enough time remembering how IAs work at all. The Ranger|Cleric is very hard to play wrong though.

The reason I suggest loading up on AIs is because the main reason having too many of them is bad is because fights don't last long enough.  In low-op groups the fights tend to last long enough to use them all and it won't hurt much to have too many and then retrain out of them if you find you aren't using them as much.
Show
Straight battle cleric with battle clerics lore is enough to keep me interested still and so is a straight wis/con build.  Warpriest is the only one I would avoid since several of those builds are fairly boring if you don't come up with a good build.  Not knowing the person I can't say if starting as a hybrid is a good idea for them or not.

Clerics hybrid better than most other classes because battle clerics lore means they can avoid having to worry about AC issues and having two attack stats and both implement and weapon powers means they mesh well with most classes.  So you have a lot of choices.  The best classes for a cleric to hybrid with are probably ranger, invoker, barbarian, artificer, paladin, shaman, swordmage, and fighter.  Bard, Avenger, Wizard, Druid, Warlord, Warden, Runepriest, and Monk also work.  And you could probably come up with something decent with the rest of the classes that are out there.
Show
That's a big question, because clerics hybrid well with a lot of classes. Pretty much anything that uses STR or WIS as primaries, WIS/CON or CON/WIS builds, and probably several others.

I'd try to narrow down a role he might like. Striker-Defender-Controller-Leader. Cleric can hybrid to do any of these.

I'd also emphasize that Divine is a whole power source, so you don't have to be a cleric to be a holy guy. Sounds like he just wants the fluff, which comes along with any divine class. His concept of a cleric probably has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the class.

When you say he wants to be more leader-y,  what do you mean?

If it means lead by example, buffing allies, I'd suggest Hybrid with Warlord(Marshall). 
If it means lead by providing extra healing, I'd still suggest Hyrbrid with Warlord.
Or, he can stick with Battle Cleric to have a mostly melee and strong character.

Let him play the character he wants to.  Hybrid Cleric, take Battle Cleric's Lore and let him have fun.
The player should come here for advice on optimization.

In Eberron, it may be easiest to reconcile fluff if he Hybrids Cleric and Warlord, since the gods generally aren't physical manifestations and don't interact with the world like the gods of othr settings.  It makes for a solider who is devout in his faith and gains some ability to divinely heal allies because of it.

I'd also suggest that you let him drop the character and create a new one after a few sessions if he really isn't interested in playing it.
It sucks to be stuck with a character you don't want to play.

when i said he wants to be more leader-y, i mean that he seemed very unopinionated about what he wanted and left it at , "i want to buff and heal my bros".

also, as far as his perception of clerics goes, he thinks of them in terms of mmos like wow and lotro.

Show
I'd concur with BlackKnight - wait and see if he enjoys it before pigeonholing him into not doing so.  if you go into it expecting him to have a bad time, he'll probably have a bad time regardless of whether he would otherwise have enjoyed the class.  Clerics are fun.

the very first character i played was a pacifist cleric. it was a simple enough introduction into d&d, but i found that i would start getting restless in encounters. using astral seal every round and moment of glory 1/day only kept me so interested.

i think that's the thing. i don't necessarily want to pigeonhole him out of cleric, i just want to make sure he doesn't feel pigeonholed into cleric.
Well, don't play a pacifist.  Its generally a horrible idea anyway and a bit of a trap feature for a class.
Show
I love clerics and pacfist is the only build I haven't played and have no interest in ever playing.  Astral sealing an enemy while waiting for the rest of your party to hopefully finish him off is boring and grinds out the game.

The fun part of clerics is smashing your enemies face in with a mace, hopefully multiple times in the same round while imposing conditions on them.   Or raining down holy fire on masses of them while they are surrounding your ally or blinding enemies with the wrath of your god who are vulnerable to your damage.  And giving your allies attack rerolls, saving throws, heals, and buffs all at the same time your doing this.

What Matyr and G.O. said. I love my Cindersoul Genasi Battle Cleric. With Theme and Multiclass he's got a good number of skills, using the racial encounter power when the group gets caught in a big blast feels awesome, and healing when necessary, buffing allies and gutting enemies is a ton of fun.

Well, don't play a pacifist.  Its generally a horrible idea anyway and a bit of a trap feature for a class.

right well that was like 2 years ago, for my first character ever as an uninformed player lol.

it seemed like a reasonable option. i mean, clerics heal, right? and if you make the heals even better, what could go wrong!

right well that was like 2 years ago, for my first character ever as an uninformed player lol.

it seemed like a reasonable option. i mean, clerics heal, right? and if you make the heals even better, what could go wrong!

Well, now you know better and can bring someone into the hobby at a better starting point.  If you can dispell the idea that "leaders are healers" early, then your whole table should benefit from it.
Show

Well, now you know better and can bring someone into the hobby at a better starting point.  If you can dispell the idea that "leaders are healers" early, then your whole table should benefit from it.

i know, i'm just seeing if anyone has any particularly interesting hybrid pitches to throw.

i had already scratched up a wis/con pure cleric and a sun warpriest before coming here. i was just afraid that the builds might be a little binary or simplistic for his tastes, so i wanted some input. he seems pretty adverse to a strength build as well. i had already ran the idea of str clerics by him, and he seemed turned off.

i know, i'm just seeing if anyone has any particularly interesting hybrid pitches to throw.

i had already scratched up a wis/con pure cleric and a sun warpriest before coming here. i was just afraid that the builds might be a little binary or simplistic for his tastes, so i wanted some input. he seems pretty adverse to a strength build as well. i had already ran the idea of str clerics by him, and he seemed turned off.

Well since i've been reading this thread and i'll be playing a leader in our up-coming home game i have been doing alot of soul searching for something to hang my hat upon.

Don't know what the build will look like or if it will be functional but i'm going to kick the tires on something like Human BattleCleric|Warlord/Paldin/Sainted General PP.(Commence ridicule now)
EDIT: Tactical Warpriest or Adroit Explorer will probably be better PP's

If you toss out one of the primary stats that really limits your options.  But there are a lot of good Wis classes you can still hybrid with.  Cleric|Invoker is a stellar build (especially if you go morninglord).
Show
Yeah I was going to suggest Cleric|Invoker if he doesn't like the STR side.  Your basic "I sear my enemies with the brilliant wrath of my god" type character.  Even straight Invoker can do some buffing, although cleric hybrid can provide enough healing to have him be the sole leader.

Cleric|Sentinel is actually pretty good too. The animal companion is a pretty nice always-on buff, and you get some good control powers and another encounter heal.  It's not as strong as |Invoker, but provides a very different feel while still being functional.

And Cleric|Warlord can still be good even without STR.
Bow Cleric an option?  One of my favorite leader builds outside of Cunning Bard.  Don't even have to deal with hybrid/MC shenanigans if you don't want to, especially if refluffed Sehanine worship is allowed (since you said this was an Eberron game).