Dumb land question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is the difference between Rakdos Guildgate and Blood Crypt?  Besides cost to buy them? I'm just curious why one is so much more to buy then the other.  On just a quick search on ebay one was like 25 plus and the other was like 2 plus.  It appears to me (a newbie) that they do the same thing.  Thanks for the help.
What is the difference between Rakdos Guildgate and Blood Crypt?  Besides cost to buy them? I'm just curious why one is so much more to buy then the other.  On just a quick search on ebay one was like 25 plus and the other was like 2 plus.  It appears to me (a newbie) that they do the same thing.  Thanks for the help.

Several reasons:

1) You can fetch a Blood Crypt. These are far more popular than Gatecreeper Vine, which has gotten the derisive name "splice onto gate" around here. (Splice was a mechanic from Kamigawa that wanted you to play a lot of arcane spells. Nobody liked it. Same applies to Ice Age's snow mechanic. They depended on cards specific to their block.)
2) Cards like Anger and Corrupt want more basic lands. (And of course Liliana of the Veil.)
3) A clue on the card itself: You may have it enter the battlefield tapped, or pay 2 life. Having a mana on this turn is often more valuable than having 2 life, since loss occurs only when your life total is greater than 0.

Also, it's a rare, meaning it'll be more expensive simply due to paucity.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks for the info and quick response.  I'll have to stay with the guildgates I guess. too rich for my blood.
2) Cards like Anger and Corrupt want more basic lands. (And of course Liliana of the Veil.)

Wrong Liliana.

Wrong Liliana.

Having two of the same walker in Standard confuses me. I guess I more think of the Veil because I love three-mana walkers for some reason.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
They do the same thing, in that they tap for mana.
Its that whole "you may play me untapped" clause that matters.
I'm a LOT better on turn 1 than turn 2.
stomping ground into Kird Ape the first time around was one of the few things that mattered.
Granted, if you're doing nothing turn 1 or don't mind the possibility of your later game plays being delayed a turn, then it doesn't matter.
But even late game, I prefer gauranteeing my turn 4 play or my turn 5 play.