Need help with a summoner wizzard

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to make a summoner wizzard for a home brew.  I was looking for items or feats that would make the summons better.  More hp or defenses or damage but i really can't find much. 

I know there is a heroic feat that increases summons defenses by 1. 
I also know that there is the arcanist impliment option to up their damage by your con mod.  But only 1 summon an encounter.
but aside from those I really don't see anything.

I know I can up summons defenses/hp by upping my own but was hoping there were better things out there.

Finally, summons just seem really easy to kill to me.  Worse then wizard defenses (temp stuff don't effect them) half my hp, and most are melee.  Am i wrong about this? What are personal experiences with the summons? Casting a daily to have it die next turn all the time would be disapointing. 

Thanks for the info
Just because were not talking in person does not mean you have to be an @#$%^&*
Isn't really worth investing in being a summoner till Paragon. If you're starting in Heroic just be a standard Wizard and start retraining when you hit 11 or so for the feats/powers you want.
Wizards can have pretty great defenses actually, and it's worth some investment if you want to have sturdy summons.

Also consider that if your summon dies in one round, the whole enemy team just probably wasted a turn beating down a non-PC character.  Absorbing attacks is a pretty nice benefit of summons.

If you want a class with a summon that never or rarely dies, I'd probably look more towards the shaman model. Either way, don't forget to add Tome Expertise to your list of nice feats.
A wizzard?  Does he have a trunk with apparently infinite capacity for both violence and contents that follows him around on hundreds of little legs? Tongue Out
A wizzard?  Does he have a trunk with apparently infinite capacity for both violence and contents that follows him around on hundreds of little legs? Tongue Out

Goten: "Trunks, what's a wizard?"   Chibi Trunks: ""Well... wizard rhymes with lizard, so a wizard is a lizard that turned into a man!"
Wizards can have pretty great defenses actually

How can wizards have good defenses? My level 1 wizard has 15AC (no magic gear) if i get unarmored agility i'll use my only feat and bring it to 17.  A paladin level 1 without using up their feat has 20.

Just because were not talking in person does not mean you have to be an @#$%^&*
correct, you are the squishy nugetty center of the hard shelled black chocolate paladin.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

How can wizards have good defenses? My level 1 wizard has 15AC (no magic gear) if i get unarmored agility i'll use my only feat and bring it to 17.  A paladin level 1 without using up their feat has 20.

It is almost as if he is a big guy in plate and you are a smart guy in a robe.

Your defenses, sans gimmicks, should be behind the defender at all times as the controller.  They will stay behind, but not so much so that creatures who can hit the defender will auto-hit you. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

So you're three behind.  Take the feat that gives them +1 to defenses (or just go staff of defense), add the -2 penalty from a mark and the monster has to roll the same number to hit your summon as he does the paladin.

I'm not saying the wizard has the best defenses in the game at level 1. I'm saying it's fairly trivial to get your summoned creatures good defenses.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha.

Seriously? Level 1 before you've gotten any magic items? Are you going to tell me how great a Striker Vampires are, next?
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Well, if you want defense, you can be Human (+1 to all NADs) or even go Staff Wizard (+1 AC). Giving your Wizard extra HP (secondary stat CON) can help as well. But yeah, summoning in 4ed is not going to get you something with better defenses than your Fighter. Those kind of shennanigans are what 3ed was for.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick