Book Recommendation?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to play a cleric of Selune in an upcoming campaign but I like to read up on characters.  Are there any books out there someone would recommend with an interesting clergy member (not necessarily cleric) of Selune prominently featured?
yeah come ot think of it, try the avatar trilogy....... I think, I dont have any of them so Im not sure, if that former cleric of selune was in it or not( he later became a cleric of mystra).

otherwise Im not sure there is one.

I do know that in one of the latter ( artemis and jarlaxle) books there were some false selune clerics.

still not sure.      

and this is novel wise

splat books: would be from 3e and may not be located cheaply if at all: IIRC on all of them:
city of slendors:waterdeep
Silver marches

I think, not sure away from books and its late.              
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I think sfdragon is thinking of Adon from the avatar trilogy but IIRC he was a cleric of Sune before he became the first worshipper of the new Mystra. The only novel I know of featuring a cleric of Selune is called Mistress of the Night by Dave Gross. You can get the Kindle edition here: www.amazon.com/Mistress-Night-Priests-Do... I seem to recall its a fun read, I hope you enjoy it!
A cleric of Selune also plays a part in Brimstone Angels

Indeed he does! Tam is also a major character in Lesser Evils. He first appeared in my short story in Realms of the Dead, "The Resurrection Agent," which you can actually read for free here: www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

I think he's interesting, anyway. Laughing

www.slushlush.com

Indeed he does! Tam is also a major character in Lesser Evils. He first appeared in my short story in Realms of the Dead, "The Resurrection Agent," which you can actually read for free here: www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

I think he's interesting, anyway. Laughing

That's why he was so familiar, I knew I had read about him before, but couldn't really place him

Ironically, I read Realms of the Dead, and completely missed that. In my defense, I read RotD practically the first week it was released, so my memory of it is a bit hazy.

@OP: Aside from Brimstone Angels (which is a great read overall), Mistress of the Night, as already mentioned, is probably your best bet. There's some interesting interaction between the doctrine of Selune and her sister Shar. It is a part of a series called The Priests. Perhaps my greatest memory of it isn't even the plot or a certain character, but the fact that the other three books in the series - Lady of Poison, Queen of the Depths, and Maiden of Pain - were so poorly written that it made MotN, a solid FR novel in its own right, seem that much better.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Well, also in your defense...and I guess *spoiler* you don't get his real name until 7/8 of the way through the story, and even then he's still "the Shepherd" to the point-of-view character. So even if he made an impression, it's pretty forgiveable to not think of him as "Tam."

And good call on MotN! Forgot that one! Dave and Don are both great authors.     

www.slushlush.com

'Faiths and Avatars' is a great source book though it represents an older game edition, it has some detailed Activities for Divine related Player Characters or NPC's: Dogma, Day to Day Activities, Holy Days, Important Ceremonies, Major Centers of Worship, Vestments, Garb, etc.  It is good if you do decide to use something from this or similar to make sure the DM is aware of all the possibilities so they might be able to bring things to life in the game.
I just finished Erin's book "Lesser Evils", after reading and enjoying "Brimstone Angels". I thoroughly enjoyed both books. Erin has become one of my favorite authors, alongside Don Bassingthwaite and Paul S. Kemp.

Tam is a great character. I was happy to see him playing a significant role in "Lesser Evils".
I am with the others on this one, having just finished Brimstone Angels myself (my first book by Erin, and a very well written one too! All hail international e-books) I would recommend the portrayal of Tam the Selunite to anyone wanting a view of how such a character could be put together.

(I am sure I will find out more in Lesser Evils but I am holding off on that one the 7th when the Book Club starts in on it)

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
Glad you both enjoyed the book(s)!

I'm so excited for Book Club to start. Hope to see lots of you there!  (And tallric_kruush if you want to just come hang out--or re-read!--you're welcome too!)

www.slushlush.com