Fired?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I doubt they'll be fired. I'm willing to bet that pretty soon ESPN will put out a statement, and the radio hosts will all apologize and they their comments were either taken out of context, misconstrued, mistated, or all of the above.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
ESPN has said they've already disciplined them internally and they've already 'apologized'.  In any case, I hope they're not fired.  What they said was wrong but they're allowed to say it.  I mean, what is this?  Canadia?

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

ESPN has said they've already disciplined them internally and they've already 'apologized'.

Figures. It was probably a slap on the wrist and a "Don't say naughty things."
In any case, I hope they're not fired.  What they said was wrong but they're allowed to say it.  I mean, what is this?  Canadia?

If I was a network exec, I'd fire them. Why would you want people making statements that bring bad attention to the network? I'd fire them to make a point. I bet the next set of hosts that wanted to make a stupid statement would think about it first.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
ESPN has said they've already disciplined them internally and they've already 'apologized'.  In any case, I hope they're not fired.  What they said was wrong but they're allowed to say it.  I mean, what is this?  Canadia?

There's a difference between being "allowed to say it" and "entitled to a platform to say it from".
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
Figures. It was probably a slap on the wrist and a "Don't say naughty things."

Odds are it was.  I haven't even heard word of a suspension.  I wonder how much these guys make and what their contract looks like.

If I was a network exec, I'd fire them. Why would you want people making statements that bring bad attention to the network? I'd fire them to make a point. I bet the next set of hosts that wanted to make a stupid statement would think about it first.

How's that old saying go?  All press is good press?  I agree that if they cost them sponsors an' money an' stuff, sure.  But fire them for that, not for saying something.  I know the distinction is minute but I feel it's an important one.  If we're free to say what we wish we should be free to say what we wish - no matter how stupid and insensitive.  That doesn't mean I think they should be free from consequences, though, and if what they said loses ESPN money, well, that's reason enough for dismissal. 

There's a difference between being "allowed to say it" and "entitled to a platform to say it from".

True.  I just think it sends a bad message to fire someone for what they said.  I know it happens all the time (and often for lesser stuff than this) but I don't like it.  Like I said above, if you want to fire them, fine.  Just do it for some other reason.  Even if that reason is there only because of what they said, that's enough.  Again, minute distinction but important, IMO.

Section Six Soldier

How's that old saying go?  All press is good press?  I agree that if they cost them sponsors an' money an' stuff, sure.  But fire them for that, not for saying something.  I know the distinction is minute but I feel it's an important one.  If we're free to say what we wish we should be free to say what we wish - no matter how stupid and insensitive.  That doesn't mean I think they should be free from consequences, though, and if what they said loses ESPN money, well, that's reason enough for dismissal.

You can say what you wish, but you can't say what you want when you wish... especially when you are representing someone or something (corporation) else. You can scream fire if you want, but you can't scream fire if you are a theater manager during work if there is no fire.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
You can say what you wish, but you can't say what you want when you wish... especially when you are representing someone or something (corporation) else. You can scream fire if you want, but you can't scream fire if you are a theater manager during work if there is no fire.

Meh, like I said I know what I want is something representative of a very minute distinction.  I mean, I know it's sorta silly.  It'd just make me feel better.  And we all want that.

Section Six Soldier

Meh, like I said I know what I want is something representative of a very minute distinction.  I mean, I know it's sorta silly.  It'd just make me feel better.  And we all want that.

That's not what your wife wants.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Well yeah.  Marriage immediately turns a relationship adversarial.  That's what it's for!

Section Six Soldier

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
True.  I just think it sends a bad message to fire someone for what they said.  I know it happens all the time (and often for lesser stuff than this) but I don't like it.  Like I said above, if you want to fire them, fine.  Just do it for some other reason.  Even if that reason is there only because of what they said, that's enough.  Again, minute distinction but important, IMO.

They're paid for what they say. If they say terrible things, they should be fired for it. It's not like they're some accountants that made off-hand bigoted comments (in that case, getting fired would be unrelated to job performance), but radio hosts who are paid to say things. Job performance and all that.

Sure, they have a right to say it. I don't think they should be shut down by the government or arrested or anything. But firing is certainly within reason.

People are stupid. What an inspiring story the original story was! And all these jerks can do is be mean about it? them.
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
They're paid for what they say. If they say terrible things, they should be fired for it. It's not like they're some accountants that made off-hand bigoted comments (in that case, getting fired would be unrelated to job performance), but radio hosts who are paid to say things. Job performance and all that.

Sure, they have a right to say it. I don't think they should be shut down by the government or arrested or anything. But firing is certainly within reason.

People are stupid. What an inspiring story the original story was! And all these jerks can do is be mean about it? them.

That's true ... but not in all cases.  I'm not familiar with the show or with their contracts but I do know that sometimes it's these peoples' jobs to say offensive and outrageous things.  When Imus got fired for his comments there was some uproar about it because he was contractually obligated to say things that get people fired up.  Since these guys were sportscasters, though, odds are kind of against that.  I'd not totally rule it out but it is possible they were doing precisely what they're paid to do.

Section Six Soldier

*shrug* If it's in their contract to be ****s, then OK.

But there is a difference between "controversial" and "****s". I mean, it would be controversial if they started cursing up a storm, but they'd probably get fired for it.

I'm not necessarily calling for them to get fired - I'm very happy with public backlash. We will never get rid of this element of society, but we can (as a society) make it unacceptable in the public arena (as most overt racism is). I'm just saying that it's legit for the employers to fire these guys for doing that stupid crap.
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."
*shrug* If it's in their contract to be ****s, then OK.

But there is a difference between "controversial" and "****s". I mean, it would be controversial if they started cursing up a storm, but they'd probably get fired for it.

I'm not necessarily calling for them to get fired - I'm very happy with public backlash. We will never get rid of this element of society, but we can (as a society) make it unacceptable in the public arena (as most overt racism is). I'm just saying that it's legit for the employers to fire these guys for doing that stupid crap.

Actually, if they swore they'd be fired for incurring massive fines - something I'd be more comfortable with ... unless, of course, they're on satellite and their channel allows it.    Ah, exceptions.  What would life be without yins? 

Umm yeah, anyhoo, public backlash is something I'm right on board with.  If someone says some crap so-ciety don't like, so-ciety should talk about it.  I'm just mostly not cool with firing folks for something they said (unless, of course, they're not allowed to say it for some reason).  Meh, again, it's a minute detail that really is probably so close to meaningless as to effectively be, well, meaningless.  One of those little niggling things that's difficult to articulate.  I guess I just can't really explain it.  Like, I'm not defending what these people said.  That's probably the most important thing anyway.

Section Six Soldier