Heroes of the Fallen Lands

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a little bit confused about the builds that can be found in the "Heroes of the __________" books. They have all their powers and abilities laid out per level, do these relate at all to the standard character creation? For instance, if I wanted to make a Knight, is there anything from the Player's Handbook's fighter class that can be used? I guess what I am asking is are they completely separate or do they somehow go together?

Check out my new blog at http://www.epicdungeonmaster.com for a tips on being an Epic Dungeon Master! Articles released every Monday, Wednesday and Friday!

the rough rule of thumb is that the powers have to have a level number assigned to them to be compatible. thus, in the case of the knight, the only compatible powers you can switch out without taking feats are utility powers (and you still need to check 'show additional options' for them all to show in the cb). other essentials classes such as the warpriest and mage are slightly less restrictive in this way than the knight.
Those builds are considered "subclasses".  When given a choice, you are allowed to make the choice from any other source that matches the options given in the Hot (FL/FK/S/F/EC).

For example, when the Knight is given the option to pick a Utility power at level 2, they can pick from any of the options found in any of the books. However, when the Knight goes to level 3, he is not given the option to pick an Encounter Attack power. The Knight's leveling chart says he gets another use of Power Strike, so that is what he gets.

The classes in the aforementioned books were developed to offer classes to a range of playstyles. For those who don't want to deal with a long, and ever increasing, list of powers, Knights, Slayers, Scouts, Hunters and Elementalists are the classes for them. For those who want a more complex character, but don't want to pick from a long, and ever increasing list of powers, the Hexblade, Warpriest, Cavalier, Blackguard and Vampire are the classes for them.

The classes without Daily or Encounter powers are compensated with either higher base damage, or more consistent and reliable use of the Encounter powers they do get (or both).
You can swap powers from classes with the ADEU structure, like the druid, for example. You can pick some powers from PHB 2 or Primal power if you like. Some classes, like the knight, are self contained, because they work in a different way, with stances and a few boons like power strike. The thing with this classes is play tactically changing the stances according to your situation. For example the knight can mark lots of people around himself, and distribute AoP in several opponents per round as far as I remember. It is simpler than the original structure, some people call it boring, but I had a lot of fun playing with some Essentials classes, I prefer the original PHB classes, but Essentials are all right too. They are good for beginners btw.
the rough rule of thumb is that the powers have to have a level number assigned to them to be compatible. thus, in the case of the knight, the only compatible powers you can switch out without taking feats are utility powers (and you still need to check 'show additional options' for them all to show in the cb). other essentials classes such as the warpriest and mage are slightly less restrictive in this way than the knight.

All right, utility powers... I forgot mentioning that.
The other thing to remember is that a Slayer or a Knight IS still a fighter, which means you can pick any feat, paragon path, etc that requires the character to be a fighter.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
What everyone else has said is correct.  Additionally, if you want to pick up fighter powers you can, but you have to take feats in order to do so.

For instance if you picked up the feat Martial Cross Training you could trade out one instance of Power Strike for one fighter attack power (most knights would want Come and Get It at level 7).

You can also pick another fighter power by getting Reserve Maneuver at level 11 and trading out your Level 11 encounter power for another fighter power if you so choose.

Other than that, they are completely separate (aside from utilities).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
And for a few classes like the original 4E Templar (Cleric) and Arcanist (Wizard), they can pick up most of the at will/encounter/daily attack powers and the utility powers from the essentials equivalents Warpriest (Cleric) and Mage (Wizard).
Sign In to post comments