R/U/G Nivmagus elemental

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i previously posted a U/W nivmagus deck that was more agro/control.  This one is just all in combo.  Biggest problem is the manabase that has way too many come into play tapped lands.  The potential for massive amounts of damage are just too sweet not to at least try it.

(why am I having such a hard time fixing the line spacing in this list?)

cut green, it should at least make the deck playable

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Getting rid of green is probably a good idea. I agree with Burning Forest on that one. You also only have 18 lands, which will make it extremely hard to draw the mana you need. 

However, if you want to keep it, I would do the following. Let me know what you think. ( I like the wild defiance ). Also you're mostly in blue, some red, not much green.

-4 Rancor

-3 Dispel - doesn't target a creature, it might be good in some matchups but generally i feel there is better

+4 Spectral Flight - replace rancor and gives flying, wohoo. your stalker is unblockable anyway so the trample from rancor is not really GREAT

+1 Mizzium Skin

-4 Rootbound Crag, you have enough red with the vents and the falls.

+1 Forest

+3 Island

+2 Mountain

+1 Steam Vents if you have one

That puts you at 6 green sources, which I think is fine for a turn 3 Wild Defiance. The first two turns you NEED blue and red primarily. When you play the hinterlands you should definitely have blue by then so it won't come into play tapped often, if at all. This also puts you at 21 lands I think. If you don't have the extra vents then you have 20 Land.

Finally,

-4 Giant growth. if, as we planned, you get a red and blue source on turns 1 and 2, you won't have any green to play this until turn 3. But on turn three I'd rather play the wild defiance and wait a turn to charge in with a souped up stalker. 

I would try with +4 unsummon to help preserve the creatures that I have in play. If you have a nivmagus in play you can always exile the unsummon to give it counters or you could save your stalker from a board sweep and bring him out after with a wild defiance in play to keep up the aggression.

Have fun. Nice deck idea. Let me know how it turns out with your games. I'm going to try a build like this. But I don't have wild defiance so I'll have to make due.

Runechanter's Pike.

The elemental exiles spells, and if stuff hits your bin you want to flashback it anyways. I guess with Stalker and Delver even +2 can be very good, though.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Pikes are bad in this deck as I don't expect to be filling my yard with spells, ideally i'm looking for a turn 4 kill here (opponent should be dead the turn after wild defiance hits the board).
Dispel is in there for two reasons: to protect my huge creature from instant speed removal and to add instants to the stack to feed the nivmagus elemental.  If anything I would cut the red, the green in this deck makes the combo work (wild defiance makes all my creatures potentially lethal threats).
If you're set on green run Quirion Dryad.

also guttersnipe. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Everyone wants you to drop the green which defeats the purpose of your deck.  You want to pump your creatures.  Keep the green...but you should drop the red.  You don't need it for your elemental.  That just leaves Looting and Flame which you don't really need. 

Blue has plenty of draw spells you can use: Think Twice, Thought Scour, Divination, ect...take your pick.  I'd recommend Think Twice so that you can use it early to draw into the spells you need, while later you can exile it to your elemental when you flashback it.

In place of the flames, probably try x3 Unsummon and x1 Cyclonic Rift.

Cut your Rancors down to 3.  You only need to draw one.  Add in Arbor Elf as he can help accelerate you into a turn 2 Defiance, setting up for your Elf to hit big next turn.

I'd also cut the Artful Dodge down to 2.  With the Rancors, you already have a way past blockers.

A few other creatures to consider: 
Snapcaster Mage - for obvious reasons.
Augur of Bolas - can help fetch some of your pump spells.
Blistercoil Weird - doesn't actually cause you to lose the spells you cast.
Wild Beastmaster - Your pump effects can help him to make all your other creatures huges.

Some spells to consider:
Prey Upon  - could removal when you have a Defiance out.
Ranger's Guile - Better than the Mizzium Skin since it gives +1/+1 instead of just +0/+1
Some counters could be useful too.

Basically, do you want more creatures or more spells.

Without any testing, I'd probably look more towards this route:

@ Vaelyn : How exactly is Blistercoil Weird better than Nivmagus Elemental in this deck? Not really sure how necessary 3 Snapcaster Mages are. No idea why you think 3x Wild Defiance validates 4 Arbor Elf. Rancor is fine in multiples. No reason to cut one right now. Wild Beastmaster ruins the point of Cathedral, I would keep the Beastmaster as 0-1 of. Augur of Bolas doesn't constitute as "fetch", and nor does it have a place in this deck as aggressive as it wants to be. Think Twice is mega durdley, and doesn't need to be here--unless you have Nivmagus to eat up the flashback, which is still pretty durdley. I would just swap them for 4 more pump spells.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
what does durdley mean?
I think Vaelyn5 brings up a good point on keeping green and dropping red.I'd like to post another alternative with that in mind. 

I'm hesitant about putting in 6 enchantments because it lowers the spell count and would make delver less effective. I left in rancor and took out wild defiance. I'm starting to think it might be too slow and it lessens the triggers for delver as well. Plus, rancor is cheaper and comes back, too good.

I like the idea of the Ranger's Guile AND the Mizzium Skin to protect your creatures. Plus, I wanted as many 1cmc spells as I could get.

I think Wolfbitten Captive looks good on paper. You could possibly swing for 4, on turn 2 against control decks that don't come online too fast unless they run unsummon. You could always pump him if you need to with his ability as well. ( Edit : for some reason I read his transformed power as 4/4 instead of 2/2. I thought he was ridiculous but i took a look at the card again and he's not THAT great anymore but still playable ) The captive might be better than him because with a rancor there won't be too many blockers open for him.

If the delver from turn 1 flips you could swing for 5.

A nivmagus elemental swings for 3 turn 2 if you feed it or for 3 with a rancor.

If you don't like the captive then maybe Wandering Wolf. He's pseudo unblockable but he's a 2cmc.

Only 21 Lands cuz it's all super cheap. Nothing above 2 cmc and you only have 7 of those. 

My suggestions just from looking at it, not testing it. If you can leave mana open for either the skin or the guile do it. Don't waste them unless you really want to go for the kill or if you have multiples in hand and mana open. I think that you want your trampling critters to live as long as possible without having to reset. With the artful dodges, you can play once then flash and feed the elemental with the flash. 

Of course this version lacks burn for when you need to do the final bit of damage but an artful will do just as well or the invisible stalker can get in for the last bite.

The snapcaster is there for flashing back things you might want for elemental food or just to save a creature. There might be better though but.....he's a snapcaster mage so maybe not hahaha. You could put in 3 other instants for him but....with him you get a creature AND a flashback of your spells. Why not? He can help you feed an artfully dodgy creature some giant growths or save a critter with a mizzium skin. 

It seems really nice looking on paper, and devastating. I want to try it out. Please let me know if you have any fun with this or what you think!

@ Vaelyn : How exactly is Blistercoil Weird better than Nivmagus Elemental in this deck? Not really sure how necessary 3 Snapcaster Mages are. No idea why you think 3x Wild Defiance validates 4 Arbor Elf. Rancor is fine in multiples. No reason to cut one right now. Wild Beastmaster ruins the point of Cathedral, I would keep the Beastmaster as 0-1 of. Augur of Bolas doesn't constitute as "fetch", and nor does it have a place in this deck as aggressive as it wants to be. Think Twice is mega durdley, and doesn't need to be here--unless you have Nivmagus to eat up the flashback, which is still pretty durdley. I would just swap them for 4 more pump spells.

Blistercoil Weird was just another suggestion to include in the deck that also benefits off of spells being cast, but not needing to resolve.  The inclusion of him in my acutal deck suggestion was an accident, it should have been Nivmagus Elemental.  I had a screaming child in my ear while I was typing the deck list and I just mixed up the creatures.

Arbor Elfs aren't just for Wild Defiance, but also Wild Beastmaster along with a general speed up of mana for the turn you 'go off.'  If you aren't happy with those, then run Farseek, which does improve Nivmagus later on.

The Beastmaster does counter the idea of Cathedral, but I wasn't looking at just a Beastmaster win (more a secondary win condition).  The original idea of the deck seemed to be to hit with one very large creature, which the Cathedral does help.

The idea of Augur of Bolas was in case he wanted a more control style until he built up to his big creature attack.  The Augur isn't a true 'fetch' in the sense as the community knows it, but it can possibly 'fetch' something that you may not have seen for another 3 turns.  Instead of 'fetch,' perhaps I should have used the word 'dig' to avoid confusion.  I had assumed most people would be able to determine the meaning behind the statement regardless of the word used.

As for Think Twice, it was a draw suggestion.  These kinds of decks can run out of steam fast or just needs to wait for a few more spells to 'go off.'  Card draw seemed important to help get there.  It may not be the pump spell you are looking for, but a viable creature to target with said pump spells.
If you're cutting red, what about adding a little black?  I always imagined Nivmagus would do well in a heavy discard deck; you can strip their hand of anything that would kill your dude with Duress and Appetite for Brains, and while you have the Elemental those are never dead cards late game (which is the main problem keeping them from being main-deck-able).