What to do with a very far-reaching MBA?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since my game just hit Epic, I just started looking at Epic items, and I discovered the Luminary Ring. It occurs to me that Virtuous Strike + Power of Justice + Luminary Ring = MBA with a range of CHA + 1, which is probably going to be on the order of 7-9 by the time you can get the ring. (There's surely other ways of getting something similar, but this is the one I thought of.) Is there anything weird or fun you can do with this? It seems like there's gotta be a way to do some kind of shenanigans with it, but I can't think of anything good. It's a high-level trick, so you obviously won't be using it as your standard action very often, but there's hardly a shortage of ways of using MBAs outside of your standard action (that's kind of the whole point of the MBA, after all). Maybe something that can let you use an MBA to retaliate against an enemy on some trigger that doesn't specify you have to be adjacent? There's gotta be something cool you can do with this.
Whack a big slide or pull on it, reel enemies in.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Roundabout Charge. Charge away from enemies while hitting them.

Luminary Ring is really more useful for extending the range of LoH though.
Mm, big-range charging is kinda funny.

Hrm, I need to look this combo up and see fi a little trick I just thought of works... Luminary Ring + Daring Blade PP...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I was under the impression that you couldn't increase the "RANGE" of a melee attack, which doesn't have a range to begin with.  Wouldn't it have to be a ranged or area attack?

Btw, you can make distant melee attacks a lot earlier in your career as a Shadar-kai with Reaper's Touch and Dragonfrost, for example.
Melee IS a range...
I was under the impression that you couldn't increase the "RANGE" of a melee attack, which doesn't have a range to begin with.  Wouldn't it have to be a ranged or area attack?

What exactly do you think Reach does? Melee (Weapon, number, touch) are all ranges. Not sure why you are confusing the range of an attack with the "Ranged" attack type.
Get Threatening Reach.

EDIT:  Dimensional Gauntlets, perhaps?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Get Threatening Reach.

EDIT:  Dimensional Gauntlets, perhaps?

I like the idea of threatening reach with this combo. What are some reliable ways of getting threatening reach, ideally on an encounter basis (since I don't think an at-will basis is possible)? The only one i can think of is Stoneblessed. I just looked up the Dimensional Gauntlets you mentioned, and they're both expensive and daily, which kinda sucks. Maybe an ED offers it? I don't know too much about EDs.
You can't go backwords in a charge, right? Doesn't each movement need to bring you CLOSER to the target? Moving away ruins that.
You can build a character that gets 4 daily instances of encounter long Threatening Reach in epic. You'll need Spiked Chain Multiclassing, either the Polearm Master (Fighter) or Bloodwrath Guardian (Warden) Paragon Path, and the Deadly Trickster Epic Destiny. With Bloodwrath Guardian and the Primal Resurgence feat you'll get a fifth instance.

I am not sure that the Luminary Ring adds to your reach for these purposes. You should check that out in the Rules Q&A.

If it works, I'd probably go with a Dragonborn Fighter|Paladin, Spiked Chain Multiclassing, Lashing Flail Feat, Flail Expertise Feat, Draconic Arrogance Feat.
You can't go backwords in a charge, right? Doesn't each movement need to bring you CLOSER to the target? Moving away ruins that.

Roundabout Charge allows you to ignore that.