Guttersnipe and Storm

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Guttersnipe says that whenever I cast an instant or sorcery spell, it deals 2 damage to each opponent.  If I cast a spell with Storm -- like Grapeshot for example -- would the copies of the spell also trigger?  So if I cast one spell and then Grapeshot, would my Guttersnipe go off twice from the Grapeshot and its copy?

Thanks!
No. Snipe triggers on casting.
706.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isn’t cast and a copy of an activated ability isn’t activated...

No. Copy of spell(s) are never cast, thus it wouldn't trigger Guttersnipe
The reminder text of Storm plus a few minutes of pondering would have given you the answer, followed by laughter.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

You don't cast a copy of a spell unless it says cast on the effect that copies it: isochron scepter
You don't cast a copy of a spell unless it says cast on the effect that copies it: isochron scepter

Isochron Scepter copies exiled cards, not spells. Then the copy is cast and becomes a spell. Anything that actually copies spells (things already on the stack) never casts them.

[<o>]

Isochron Scepter copies exiled cards, not spells. Then the copy is cast and becomes a spell. Anything that actually copies spells (things already on the stack) never casts them.

This distinction is important, it's true, but I also think it is important to make sure that people don't automatically assume that something won't trigger Guttersnipe simply because it is just a copy ability.

Isochron Scepter, reverberate, and Increasing Vengeance all will trigger Guttersnipe's effect (since the latter two are instants themselves, although the copy they generate doesn't count so they won't make guttersnipe trigger twice) while Chandra, the Firebrand's copy, and Nivix Guildmage's copy will not trigger it's effect at all since it was a copy made from an ability.
The answer that a copy wouldn't trigger the Guttersnipe is the answer I thoroughly expected.  The details about things like the Isochron Scepter though, I did not know.  Thoroughly glad I asked and thank you all for the information!
The answer that a copy wouldn't trigger the Guttersnipe is the answer I thoroughly expected.  The details about things like the Isochron Scepter though, I did not know.  Thoroughly glad I asked and thank you all for the information!

In short, Guttersnipe triggers when:

* You acctually casts an Instant or Sorcery card from your hand, the normal way.

* Some effect allows you to "play" or "cast" something (and it must say 'play' or 'cast'), and the thing you're playing/casting is an Instant or Sorcery. For keywords, check the reminder text.
Examples: Isochron Scepter, the Suspend keyword (when the last counter is removed, not when you exile it from hand), the Flashback cost, Mindclaw Shaman, Djinn of Wishes, Future Sight all count.

[<o>]