[REDACTED] Quicksilver Thoughts - Divining Light

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Preview concept for [REDACTED]:

Divining Light
Sorcery [Uncommon]
You may pay rather than Divining Light's mana cost.
Draw a card, then draw 2 cards for each non-blue color of mana spent to play Divining Light.
Prism mages can find enlightenment in every sunrise.
"Draw a card for each color of mana spent to cast [NAME]".

That's cleaner and functional identical, as far as I can tell.

Edit: Wait, two cards? No it's not. Hm. The lover of simplicity of me would like to see this costed at with the above text. But that's a different design entirely.

Nine cards is a lot for . It's not that hard to make all five colors of mana these days.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Divining Light
Sorcery [Uncommon]
Draw two cards for each color of mana spent to cast ~.

^^

Probably should cost 1uuu or something
Divining Light
Sorcery [Uncommon]
Draw two cards for each color of mana spent to cast ~.

^^

Probably should cost 1uuu or something

The card in the OP was altered from that version, CL.
I think 3 mana of one color might be the breaking for the five color or even the 3 color deck

though the 3 color deck could pull it of with mana birds

color in a half decks like cast easy in the 3 drop of the 1/2 color
I wasn't clear before, but I really like the idea here. I've always wanted to make a set that rewarded you for playing lots of colors so I applaud your effort here.

It's just that your card is damned strong. And, as a sucker for elegance, I feel it could be streamlined a bit. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Preview concept for [REDACTED]:

Divining Light
Sorcery [Uncommon]
Draw a card, then draw 2 cards for each non-blue color of mana spent to play Divining Light.

I don't like how it has In the cost yet is least efficient in mono-blue; as it is I think mono-colored decks are discouraged enough.  It will always get played in prismatic decks when you're talking 9 cards for 5 mana, so seems quite overpowered.

How about the second line: "Draw a card.  Then draw a card for each color of mana spent to cast ~."  That gives mono-blue its 2 cards; multi-color blue 3 cards; and prismatic 6.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I wasn't clear before, but I really like the idea here. I've always wanted to make a set that rewarded you for playing lots of colors so I applaud your effort here.

It's just that your card is damned strong. And, as a sucker for elegance, I feel it could be streamlined a bit. 

Hrm. Altering the cost is awkward, since increasing the colorless cost would make it a little weird with the alternate-cost mechanic. I could of course simply eliminate that mechanic and cost it at , which would let it draw up to five card as a three-drop, but wouldn't that just be even stronger?

Basically the same feeling here. I really like the idea, but this is a 3-mana 3-card draw way too often. And the cost seems to be just this side of too good; is hard to assemble, yeah, but the thing to remember is that it's a modal choice on an already very powerful card. I might honestly like this better as a 2-mana spell:

Divining Light |
Sorcery
You may pay rather than Diving Light's mana cost.
Draw a card for each color of mana spent to cast Divining Light.
How about the second line: "Draw a card.  Then draw a card for each color of mana spent to cast ~."  That gives mono-blue its 2 cards; multi-color blue 3 cards; and prismatic 6.

Or it could just be and say the same thing; ignoring multi-color blue.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Or, for [REDACTED], mono-color can go cry itself to sleep in a corner, only to wake up to repeated beatings and discouragement from its uncaring guardians, eating a sparse meal of spoiled food, and then going to bed naked and alone, wracked with misery at its own wretchedness.

I have no interest in supporting monocolor.
Or, for [REDACTED], mono-color can go cry itself to sleep in a corner, only to wake up to repeated beatings and discouragement from its uncaring guardians, eating a sparse meal of spoiled food, and then going to bed naked and alone, wracked with misery at its own wretchedness.

It's important to make sure that archetypes players enjoy are at least playable; plenty of people like playing monocolor (monoblue being, though this is purely anecdotal, one of the more popular ones)
The trouble I have with five cards for is that for the same price I could be playing a Bringer, I could be assembling a Coalition Victory, or I could be dropping an Eldrazi with Fist of the Suns. If a player is dropping for WUBRG I feel as though ALL DA CARDS is sorta appropriate.
The trouble I have with five cards for is that for the same price I could be playing a Bringer, I could be assembling a Coalition Victory, or I could be dropping an Eldrazi with Fist of the Suns. If a player is dropping for WUBRG I feel as though ALL DA CARDS is sorta appropriate.

There's a great deal of difference between a spell that could be and one that could be . No matter how you play the Bringers, they're late game cards; sure, you can cheat them in with that green sorcery what makes the whose name I've forgotten, but they're always going to be a hassle to cast. This spell, meanwhile, is lower on the curve; a spell that's effective in the early game and basically a game-ender in the late game is probably too potent.
cascade beats mono blue counter consistantly so they raised the cost of counter spells

mono blur island walk is complete

when cards replace themselves green wins
cascade beats mono blue counter consistantly so they raised the cost of counter spells

Get out of my thread and don't come back until you make sense.

It doesn't do any good to talk to them ("them" including GM_Champion, however many alts he makes, and this guy).

It doesn't do any good to talk to them ("them" including GM_Champion, however many alts he makes, and this guy).

In Matt_Holck's defense, sometimes the out of nowhere and weird stuff he says ends up being hilarious.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

In Matt_Holck's defense, sometimes the out of nowhere and weird stuff he says ends up being hilarious.

Fair enough. "I don't have a job" remains one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

But I like all the colors...

Well for one, cards should not be designed based on the highest power or brokenest cards that have been printed; but for two, Eldrazi and Fist were in different standard environments entirely, for example.  Is this card going to be in a set where access to WUBRG is relatively difficult or easy?  How much does it eff up the limited, block, and standard metas in either of those situations?

Beyond that, how many immediate card draws is a Bringer worth?  Is it 9, really?  The Blue Bringer takes 5 turns to get that far.

Honestly, at absolute most WUBRG could be 7 draws...maybe.  And that's pushing it.  7 draws off a card takes 9 mono-blue mana to get in the general case, at best.  Personally, I still think it shouldn't be more than 6, that's nearly a free hand for 5 mana -- but you would need to see what kind of level of ease with which WUBRG can be achieved in the set this is intended for.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This

And at least Matt_Holck sometimes says things that make sense.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
I have played lots of different five-colored decks that always paid to cast Allied Strategies and it was never weak enough to make me wish for something that's a lot more effective..