New Races for 5e

What PC races would you like to see introduced in 5e that haven't existed previously, or that only existed as monsters?

Myself, I think an aberrant or demonic race of some sort could be cool. Neither heredity, as far as I know, has been represented in D&D before.

The original presentation of the Tiefling (in the Planescape setting) was described as being the progeny of human beings and 'something else'. -- Many of them boasted demonic ancestry.

Danny

Haven't ever been playable?  Most of the cool races were covered at some point during 2E.

I'm going to think of something super awesome and then get back to you.

The metagame is not the game.

Haven't ever been playable?  Most of the cool races were covered at some point . . .

I have to agree with this.  Most of the races were playable at some point.  I don't recall if they were playable before, but I'd like to see merfolk as an official race.  I really love undersea campaigns, and I'd really prefer we get some truly different options other than just slapping aquatic (or other keyword) on elves.

As for things that have never been playable before, I'd like to see a fartouched template or a well done foulspawn race.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

All that I have ever wanted is a legit plant race. No, not like Dryad or Wilden; they have other thematic and mechanical baggage. I mean just a plain plant race. Think of it as sort of like how Warforged are just a plain construct race whereas Shardminds were a construct race with additional thematic and mechanical baggage. The Dyrad and Wilden are like the Shardmind here. Just give me a generic plant race already. Treant could maaaybe work if toned down.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Neanderthol (if that hasn't been done yet).

Also want a half Halfling... a Quarterling (maybe they could get a d10 short sword)

My mind is a deal-breaker.

Neanderthals have been done (3.5, Frostburn supplement).  I want driders.  Or draegloths.  A monster race.
A symbiote race of some sort.
A symbiote race of some sort.

Yes.  Like the Trill form Star Trek.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Meh they're practically devas.

I want a symbiont race that does something cool and creepy, like the venom symbiotes or something. 
I have one.

There are already tieflings, and have been over and over.  But it seems like they're always tricky or magicky.  I want a variant demonic race for when the power of Hell makes you stronger physically.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
That's called a Tanar'rukk.
Humans that have genetic dwarfism and are used as spies and thieves against real dwarves. 

I'd like one for humans, and as a real PC race, not a late-ed monster splat.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Here's a thought I stole from tephra, I know I know I sound like a bloody advert for that game, but what if the races or at least some races had a list of a traits you could choose some number from in addition to a couple of basic features?

So example, all teifling gain Pit-spawned (fancy words for fire resistance) and three features from this list:

1. Silver tounged devil
2. Demon frenzy
3. Hellish rebuke
4. Brimstone strike
5. Darkness
6. Aura of unease
7. Infernal majesty 

I'd like one for humans, and as a real PC race, not a late-ed monster splat.

For some reason I'm reminded of Pathfinder and their ten variant tieflings?  Those born of demons, qlippoth and oni get Strength.
In the 3.5 Magic of Eberron book, there's a race of humanoids corrupted by aberrant magic near where they were born. They're called half-Daelkyr after the aberrant lords of Eberron who have beautiful human faces and inhuman bodies. In 5ed, they could just call the half-breeds Daelkyr and explain them as a low-level version of a Daelkyr (like how 4ed Eladrin range from High Elf to Ghaele and Bralani).  

As for demons, D&D has a lot of demon-influenced races (Gnolls, Minotaurs, Planescape Tieflings, Drow) that having one race that's more abyssal than the societies who worship the epitome of CE seems like a difficult design goal.    

All that I have ever wanted is a legit plant race. No, not like Dryad or Wilden; they have other thematic and mechanical baggage. I mean just a plain plant race. Think of it as sort of like how Warforged are just a plain construct race whereas Shardminds were a construct race with additional thematic and mechanical baggage. The Dyrad and Wilden are like the Shardmind here. Just give me a generic plant race already. 

Really? Damn, but I'm a big fan of Eberron and in there, they have a lot of thematic baggage. In 3ed and 4ed, they didn't get much un-Eberron support because they're so iconic to the setting (and probably because so many people don't want robots in 'normal' D&D - You know who you are!).

Soooooo the best solution might be giving you the Wilden and not giving you any interesting fluff to go with it. Wink

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

As for demons, D&D has a lot of demon-influenced races (Gnolls, Minotaurs, Planescape Tieflings, Drow) that having one race that's more abyssal than the societies who worship the epitome of CE seems like a difficult design goal.   

I'm not talking about "we worship demons" or "we're Always Chaotic Evil", though.  I'm talking about, "I have demon blood, and it makes me stronger, physically."

I'm not talking about "we worship demons" or "we're Always Chaotic Evil", though.  I'm talking about, "I have demon blood, and it makes me stronger, physically."

But is that enough for an entire race?

I mean, are we just talking about the bastard orphans of demonic collusion, or are we talking about a self-propagating lineage of 'demonborn' with their own distinct culture, lands, and histories? 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

But is that enough for an entire race?

I mean, are we just talking about the bastard orphans of demonic collusion, or are we talking about a self-propagating lineage of 'demonborn' with their own distinct culture, lands, and histories? 

It's at least enough for a variant set of tiefling stats, which is all I'm asking for.
I would like a 3rd Ed Savage Species type deal for 5th Ed at some point, but cleaned up.

Treant Monks kick ass.
All that I have ever wanted is a legit plant race. No, not like Dryad or Wilden; they have other thematic and mechanical baggage. I mean just a plain plant race. Think of it as sort of like how Warforged are just a plain construct race whereas Shardminds were a construct race with additional thematic and mechanical baggage. The Dyrad and Wilden are like the Shardmind here. Just give me a generic plant race already. Treant could maaaybe work if toned down.

I have one.

There are already tieflings, and have been over and over.  But it seems like they're always tricky or magicky.  I want a variant demonic race for when the power of Hell makes you stronger physically.

I want both of these-- Treants scaled to PC level, as well a Planetouched that are natural bruisers rathen than schemers/casters.

I do think that Warforged have definite thematic, though not mechanical, baggage... so I would like to see Golem as a playable race (Warforged could be a subrace).
Tieflings 2e version, or 4e without the strange face horns and dinosuar tail. 
Tasloi 

Really? Damn, but I'm a big fan of Eberron and in there, they have a lot of thematic baggage.

Not really. Yeah, they have story within a setting, but everything has that; that's not what I mean by thematic baggage. What I'm looking at is the stuff that remains consistant across all campaign settings, the most basic description of the race. For a Warforged, that description is extremely simple: This is a living construct race, artificial life made of wood, stone, metal, and magic. You can even see it in the mechanics that all of the features are just set to reinforce that singular, basic theme. You could just call them "Golems" in a setting, something very general, and still be totally right.

Now, take that simple, basic theme and compare to what we have with something like the Shard-Mind. That theme is something more involved and complex, and it shows up in the mechanics. Basically, the Shard-Mind has too much baggage to serve as a basic construct race. It's no a bad race; it just wouldn't be sufficient if I told you that I wanted to play a living construct and then you pointed me to this thing over here with all of this extra stuff attached to it that has nothing to do with being a living construct.

That's the problem I have with the plant races that we've had before. I don't know that we've had anything major other than Dryad and Wilden, but both come with baggage that has nothing to do with just being a plant race. It's not even just about the fluff; you can also look at how the mechanics reinforce that fluff and make it difficult to remove. The Wilden had hardly any features at all evocative of its plant-like nature! And Dryad mechanics are too concerned with making them heavily fey-evocative.

I don't want any of that fey stuff of spirit of nature stuff in my basic plant race just like I don't want psychic crystals or far realm gates in my basic construct race. I want a race that just says "You are a plant" and runs with that without need for more, just like we have a race that just says "You are a living golem" and runs with that without need for more. Additional story is great! But only if it doesn't become baggage.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
More monsters based on real world myths from all around the globe.
I agree a plant race would be welcome. Not sure if there are too many legends that haven't made it into D&D yet in one form or another, but any that have been missed would be great.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Oh, there are legends from all around the world that have never made it into D&D. My parents just got me into looking up some Brazilian folklore, for example, and there's a lot of really neat stuff there that would be awesome in D&D. I think that the Encantado could actually make a really cool PC race, for example, in the same vein as the Satyr and Dryad. Encantado are enchanted river dolphins that live in underwater realms (similar, I would say, to the feywild) and that shape-shift into Humans to party, romance, and adventure on land.

I would like a simple, easy to use guide included that lets one create a workable, balanced race of their own creation.  That way, the books wouldn't have to be filled with the 1000's (or more) possible candidates for inclusion.
I'd be down with PS style Tieflings (with various features.  Come on, bring back that table!) plus Aasimar (I love Aasimar).

As for plantfolk, that'd be pretty awesome.  I mean, we've already had a wide variety in Gamma World (various editions... even though I've only dabbled with 4 - 7), why not D&D too?

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I agree with Crimson about a plant race.  I've been wanting one of those for a long time.

Two other concepts I would love to see:

• Ooze.  And not a shapeshifter.  A medium sized one-celled or multi-celled organism that is sentient, can communicate, has pseudopods to hold weapons and items, and oozes around.

• Swarm. I want to play a swarm of hellwasps.  Or any other communal intelligence.  I want its abilities to be centered around its communal nature.  

These are obviously too exotic for an initial release, but I would love to see them in a supplement.
Everything.
Ooze.  And not a shapeshifter.  A medium sized one-celled or multi-celled organism that is sentient, can communicate, has pseudopods to hold weapons and items, and oozes around.

I played a blob-like race in a Savage Worlds campaign once, it was awesome. I even had a second false-stomach for internal storage Oh, and I was the medic for the team.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Yeah, I've been wanting to play one since I played a Dralasite in a short-lived Star Frontiers game in the early 1980's.

I imagie it would be immune to prone, able to squeeze without penalty, and maybe get some other benefits. 
A flying poulp-like creature with tentacules like cables and natural telepathic abilities.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

More monsters based on real world myths from all around the globe.

Have they done anything based on Hopi mythology? Like Black Ogre:

That's just an orc-tiefling.
I want the Aslan-y race they originally had planned for 4e.
I don't get the urge to play exotic races cept Kobolds yet I do desire domesticated monsters. Always wanted a Displacer Beast steed, and a pet Tressym.
The best monsters are the ones you can ride.

I have one.

I want both of these-- Treants scaled to PC level, as well a Planetouched that are natural bruisers rathen than schemers/casters.

I do think that Warforged have definite thematic, though not mechanical, baggage... so I would like to see Golem as a playable race (Warforged could be a subrace).

Warforged animated / haunted armor ... Full Metal Alchemist.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Sign In to post comments