Thoughts on Races

Hi all. I'm new to these forums and haven't done much lurking, so sorry if this has come up already or if I come off newb-ish.

There's been some discussion on races and how to make them feel different without pidgeon-holing. I think the idea of spreadding stat bonuses across race and class was a good move, but I have a different suggestion. Buy racial bonuses with points from a gene pool. Each race has a set of traits (some exclusive to that race) tat yo can bwith points from a gene pool.

Example: Some humans are color blind, why shouldn't some elves be low-light bind? Maybe you spent all your gene pool points on +2 to DEX and some other cool elf abilities and didn't have enough left to buy low-light vision.

The main drawback I see to this idea is that it might be more difficult to balance. A if a stat boost costs 3 points, how much should low-light vision cost? How do you compare them?

*EDIT: Typos 
Welcome to the forums.  Don't be alarmed if they move this post to the general discussion forum.

There's been a fairly lengthy discussion about races going on lately, and this is actually one of the points that has been addressed.  Some consensus was reached on this point that, while it would be neat, it would be really hard to balance this in such a way where each player won't buy only the features that most complement the class.  If elves had the option to buy low-light, +Int, +Dex, weapon bonus, and bonus spells; then you would get a lot of elf wizards with +Int and bonus spell, a lot of rogues with +Dex and weapon bonus, and a lot of elf fighters with low-light and weapon bonus.

Even though the goal is to increase options, because of the nature of the class system it would obviate most of the choices. 
The metagame is not the game.
the buying of race traits was introduced in the 2ed players option books (skills and powers) it made character generation more complcated and thus take longer but did make things more intresting.  try to locate a copy if you can, you can always add that idea as a house rule. 
it would be really hard to balance this in such a way where each player won't buy only the features that most complement the class. ... Even though the goal is to increase options, because of the nature of the class system it would obviate most of the choices. 

That's a good point. I'll lurk a little more. I can think of a half-measure where each race has some set traits and some traits that can be baught/selected from a pool, but at that point the sub-race system is much more elegant.

the buying of race traits was introduced in the 2ed players option books (skills and powers) it made character generation more complcated and thus take longer but did make things more intresting.  try to locate a copy if you can, you can always add that idea as a house rule. 

Awesome. I'll have to check that out.
Even though the goal is to increase options, because of the nature of the class system it would obviate most of the choices. 

Yeah, this is pretty much the whole reason it won't work.

People would just cash in anything that didn't help their class and buy everything that did. It would all be uniform and cookie cutter.

It better the way it is now where every dwarf has the same racials (or, at least, within a subspecies). It gives them more identity than just a class add-on. 
Hey all,

Since this isn't a playtest session report I'll be moving it to D&D Next General Discussion.

Thanks!

Monica

Monica

Wizards of the Coast Online Community Coordinator

A friendly dragon.

Getting to Know Your Magic Online Client

Basic Dungeons & Dragons FREE

Actually, I think Wrecan had one of the best takes on races, you can find it in this thread, where there were inherent biological features, and then cultural features that could be swapped out.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.