Any good tactics against Lolths Blessing out there ?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
The last few times when I played against drow decks Lolths Blessing seems too strong. Most of the time they play it round 1 or 2 and then you have to try to force down the priestress quickly otherwise they will draw too many cards and you loose the game anyway. Are there some good advices out there playing against that card ?
Go on the offensive. The Priestess is Level 3, which means they either tie up a lot of their resources into drawing cards only, or they put her in danger. If they keep her back, run after the rest of his team with a dedicated strike team, don't split the party! Even if they have the 9 Leadership commander, with 3 Levels out of commission you're either on equal footing (Snig or the new Undead 6 Leadership commander) or have edge on how many levels of creatures you can bring to the front. If instead they bring her to the front, kill her quick as a priority target. Either way, don't let them use the  large stack of Order cards they're drawing. Cut the game short. This may necessitate that you review the creatures you've got in your deck so that you have a decent curve and don't get stuck deploying inefficient teams.

Lolth's Blessing is actually worse than Arcane Ritual for the Order card accumulation strategy because it will only pay for itself next turn and start paying dividends on turn 3, whereas Arcane Ritual draws a card on the very turn it is played (and if you time your activations properly, you will get access to your cards before doing anything else on the turn).
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Lolth's Blessing is actually worse than Arcane Ritual for the Order card accumulation strategy because it will only pay for itself next turn and start paying dividends on turn 3, whereas Arcane Ritual draws a card on the very turn it is played (and if you time your activations properly, you will get access to your cards before doing anything else on the turn).

That is a somewhat one-sided way of looking at it, since there's much more difference between the cards than just the card draw. One thing is that they're both circumstancial. If you're interested in running a spider deck Lolths Blessing is the much more interesting card because of Drow Priestess' ability. Also, Ritual's needing to end your activation in a magic circle can be a major drawback.

I'm not saying either card is better, just that the reasoning that Lolth's Blessing is worse because it pays dividends in three turns where Arcane Ritual can do so in two seems pretty incomplete.

Please note that I did read you saying "for the Order card accumulation strategy" and if you simply meant to point out that from a purely mathematic point of view Blessing pays for itself later than Ritual (potentially) does, you are absolutely right. Just pointing out that this doesn't necessarily make Ritual the better card when considering the bigger picture.
The thing is that Drow Priestess is level 3 of melee attack with a lackluster ability and is the only creature that can use Lolth's Blessing, whereas every INT character that can use Arcane Circle is a ranged attacker with 10 range. Being stuck on an Arcane Circle isn't a big problem when the direct incentive of investing a card to draw more is to stay away from combat anyway. It would be more problematic if your opponent used his tiles to build YOUR side of the field, since if that was the case you couldn't guarantee an Arcane Circle in 6 squares range from your start position.
Well, hopefully the ability limitation of Wisdom units will change next set (which should be the case is Shaman like characters are introduced, or some Wisdom based monsters).
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
The thing is that Drow Priestess is level 3 of melee attack with a lackluster ability and is the only creature that can use Lolth's Blessing, whereas every INT character that can use Arcane Circle is a ranged attacker with 10 range. Being stuck on an Arcane Circle isn't a big problem when the direct incentive of investing a card to draw more is to stay away from combat anyway. It would be more problematic if your opponent used his tiles to build YOUR side of the field, since if that was the case you couldn't guarantee an Arcane Circle in 6 squares range from your start position.

Lich Necromancer, Dracolich and Copper Dragon all have a reach of 5. The only ones able to use Arcane Ritual that have a range of 10 are the War Wizard, Hobgoblin Sorceror and Disciple of Kyuss. Those are levels 4,3 and 4 respectively. If your opponent lets you simply sit them on your part of the board, you'll have more order cards but will fight a warband with 3 or 4 less Leadership. Assuming you both have Lds 9 you'll be fighting 5 or 6 versus his 9. Good luck with that. (that's not even counting the 6 Lds you'd have to sacrifice to keep one of the dragons on a circle, but who'd sacrifice that kind of power for an extra order card anyway?)

Arcane Ritual isn't a bad card (I run my two copies when I can), however it's got some serious drawbacks that a good opponent will take advantage of by forcing you to choose between drawing one extra order a turn or getting to use your high-powered creature.

Drow Wizard can use Arcane Ritual and has range 10, though he's incredibly squishy.

In general though I've found they're both pretty reasonable.  Arcane Ritual's downside is harder to "see", but it's definitely there.  Having to be in a magic circle makes the creature much harder to defend, and magic circle tiles tend to be either more open, making it hard to block off movement, or the Undead one with all the doors, which also blocks line of sight.  The Priestess, on the other hand, can go and lurk in a maze of narrow passages that you can easily block off with Driders or Giant Spiders.

Ritual is clearly more currently useful just because more than one figure can use it, but I've had success with both, and being able to leave your valuable draw engine creature wherever you want is a big advantage.  Doubly so with Portal Stone around, it sucks to have some dude teleport right next to your card draw engine. 
I still think that Lolths Blessing is a stronger option. You do not need to play a Spider deck to use the priestress. Basically she is a lvl 3 dex creature with 20 dam and 60 HPs which is not a bad setup (compared to giant spider which almost has the same stats). lvl 3 dex cards are very good and she can easily defend herself whithout loosing the ability to draw cards whereever she might sit on the map. Furthermore you draw the card at the beginning of your turn which makes it available even to the priestress herself.
But now lets take another look. You can easily fit creatures like the vampire or other drow guys into this deck which will make it very strong against any other strategy. Every deck needs to spend a lot of cards to just kill the priestress or her shenigans and do not forget the tactical disadvantage of being forced to attack.

Still Dungeon Command is a great game and we really enjoy playing it. At the moment we play two times a week Thank you all for discussing this interesting topics.

Drow Wizard can use Arcane Ritual and has range 10, though he's incredibly squishy.

Hmmm, forgot about that one Embarassed
I think the best thing you can do with the priestess is Stealth her while stacking multiple blessings and playing schemes.  While Stealthed she's literally invincible for as long as you want her to be.  When your opponent comes to attack, as he must or be overwhelmed, she can appear anywhere you want at any time you want and contribute 3 levels of DEX to a Sneak Attack, or just let loose with quick jabs and a piercing strike.  That in and of itself is often enough to take out a lvl 4, 5, 6 creature and thus more than pay for your priestess even if she dies next turn (which is certainly not inevitable given that when she appears she ought to be able to take out the enemy's best creature, and as a Dex creature she has access to most of the best defensive cards to boot).
The Stealth card does not make a creature "invincible for as long as you want..." the stealthed creature re-appears at the start of your following turn.

Card text: "At the start of its controller's next turn, place the creature in any..."

Getting back on topic (how to combat Lolth's blessing), there are laods of options depending on which cards you have/play.

1 - Kill the Priestess asap!

One of my Drow decks used Priestesses, Drow Wizards and Drow House Guard (4 of each), Priestesses with Blessing, Wizards with Ritual, 2 of the large tiles with the circle in the room with 3 doors (gives plenty of places to escape being in enemy's LoS, plenty of spring atacks, quick jabs, quick shots, faerie fire, stealth, poison and piercing strike. The deck won 3 out of 3 with next to no morale loss in the 1 tournament I took it to.
Poison on a house guard who then uses stealth and piercing strike gives you a fool proof way of taking out the priestess from anywhere in 1 attack (unless she's a levelled up priestess). Better still - when they kill your house guard you loose 1 less morale than they did when you killed the priestess

2 - If you can't beat 'em, join 'em,

Loads of good options for card draw now: 4 stats get card draw (WIS - Blessing, Scheme, INT - Ritual, DEX - Parry, CON - Defensive Advantadge).
Plus don't forget taking their cards off them also helps card advantadge (STR - Disrupting Attack)

3 - Don't get distracted...

Ignore it - play your strategy instead of falling into playing theirs, let them burn cards and you just concentrate of doing what you intended to do when you built your deck. Getting drawn into doing something before you're ready can easily cost you a game.