Skills and levelling

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Getting back into playing D&D with my friends(4e, first time I played was 2e), and I'm wondering; my sorcerer has 4 skills and just levelled up, do I get any more skills, or would I have to swap out one of my 4 for another?

You only have the four skills. You can either retrain one of them to something else if you want to change or take the Skill Training feat, which makes you trained in an extra skill.
 Alternately, a lot of the multiclass feats also give you training in one skill on that class' skill list. Many Backgrounds add skills to your class list (but don't automatically give you training in them) and if I remember there may be one or two that get you an extra skill. There's also a Theme or two that gives you a particular skill for free.

Rememer that you add your half-level bonus to skill rolls (whether you're trained or not), so the difference between your trained skills and your untrained skills is always going to be somewhat static.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I just did some reading in the books(once I knew exactly what to look for, and re-examened my character as he was).

Humans get a bonus feat and a bonus skill at level 1. I only took 4 skills and the class feat.

As a sorcerer, I took Implement Expertice, not knowing I being human could take another feat.

I found Skill Training feat, allowing me to train in other skills. Though, since you can only get 1 Feat every even number level(and levels 11 and 21), taking Skill Training will give you an extra skill(Skill Training is reusable), but you will have foregone other feats you might need fairly soon.

When choosing feats, be VERY careful. 

Skill Training is rarely ever worth taking unless you need a specifc skill for something (some part of your character build requires it as a prerquisite, for example) and you can't get that skill any other way. The multiclass feats are pretty much always better if you can get the skill you want through them. It's usually more cost effective to try to get access to a skill through a background or theme, though.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Sign In to post comments